Kevin Smith
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Not with a bang but a whimper.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read s few topics on this thread but I have a specific question I have not seen covered regards pinning.

The rule book clearly states an shows examples of how pinning works when you move into and try to leave a hex.

What it does not cover is when you start in a occupied hex and try to leave.

On page 14 of the rulebook it says "If the ships move into a hex containing other player's or ancient ships, at least one ship per each opposing Ship must stop (the ship is "pinned") and engage in combat in the Combat Phase. The ships exceeding the number of opponents may continue their movement."

My Friend, after having another player move 3 ships into his hex with 3 of his own ships in tried to move his 3 away on his next action before the combat phase and we said he could not as he was pinned.

He argued he was not pinned as he had not "moved into" the hex so the condition above did not apply. He was already in the hex and so was not subject to the condition above. This does not feel right, but having read the rule above over and over again it appears he may be right.

Can I get clarification on what the intended rule is? It caused quite a heated debate, we did not let him run away - but having read it over and again since he left I fear he was right.

Many thanks, Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example your friend would not be able to move any ships out of the hex as he had to leave as many ships as the number of opposing ships. This has been covered elsewhere (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/754341/question-about-pi...) and both players ships are pinned, regardless of who caused the pinning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
after having another player move 3 ships into his hex with 3 of his own ships in tried to move his 3 away on his next action

Pinning works against both players. The best he can hope for is to move more ships (perhaps bigger or better ones) into the hex and move weaker ones out. But ultimately, three ships will be pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ clarifies this a bit:

FAQ wrote:

Q: How does pinning work? Are Ships only pinned/pinning if they move to a hex? What if they were built there? What about if there are multiple players or Ancients in the hex?
A: They are pinned/pinning regardless of whether they move to or from the hex. If there are multiple players, you add up all the opposing Ships and compare that to the number of your Ships. So for example, if you have four Ships in a hex containing two Ships from one player, one Ship from another and one Ancient Ship, all of your Ships are pinned. You need to get one more Ship in the hex to be able to move one Ship out.

The way I explain is that when you attempt to move out of a hex, you check to see if there are opposing forces there. If so, you must leave an equal number of your ships in the hex, and can move out any extras.

Hopefully I am explaining it right , but I find that treating as a "when you want to leave" as opposed to "when you move in" condition helps people understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically I teach it as - a "ship for a ship." Any extra is free to move or stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to check I have this right, a Starbase counts as a ship, yes?

So, if my opponent moves 3 ships into my sector and I have 3 ships there, I can build two starbases and on a subsequent action move two ships out.

It seems slightly wierd that you can have your opponent 'pin' starbases. They're not going anywhere anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Starbases are ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Nanty
China
SHANGHAI
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
Just to check I have this right, a Starbase counts as a ship, yes?

So, if my opponent moves 3 ships into my sector and I have 3 ships there, I can build two starbases and on a subsequent action move two ships out.

It seems slightly wierd that you can have your opponent 'pin' starbases. They're not going anywhere anyway!

yes starbase can pin ship. Otherwise, an empty sector only defended by a starbase could be pass through without pinning opponent ship: pretty useless as a defense system.

So yes, you can build starbase and move your ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.