BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: What are you geeks doing tomorrow? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we're supposedly a bunch of geeks, culturally out of the mainstream. But tomorrow is a huge party day in the US. In fact, the news reported today that that the viewership of the Super Bowl (tm) will equal 1/3 of the US population.

I personally can't believe how brainwashed people are over a sporting event, especially since nowhere near that many people are interested in an average NFL game. But I figure even among geeks I am probably in the minority, so let's find out.

Poll
1. On Super Bowl Sunday I will
intentionally watch the game
intentionally not watch the game
watch for the commercials only
maybe see some of the game but only because others have it on
2. If you will have the game on:
I will attend a party to watch the game
I will attend a party primarily to socialize
I will watch the game at home without guests
I will be boardgaming with the TV in the background
      99 answers
Poll created by cool username

Note that when I wrote the questions I was thinking of only those people who can actually receive the Super Bowl broadcast. If you live somewhere outside North America and have no way of seeing the game, please don't answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:

Note that when I wrote the questions I was thinking of only those people who can actually receive the Super Bowl broadcast. If you live somewhere outside North America and have no way of seeing the game, please don't answer.

Ummm... I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is televised worldwide--m not on broadcast television, but on specialty channels or cable (think whatever the Chinese version of ESPN 2 is).

Plus, even if it isn't, Armed Forces Network will show it (sadly sans commericials), so there will be at least a few hundred thousand people watching it well outside of North America.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
"Intentionally not watch" is a weird phrasing, as it implies active avoidance. I don't have anything against the football contest in particular, but it just doesn't have anything to do with me. I have no idea who the teams are, though I gather that there's a virgin involved somehow... I won't be watching it, but neither will I be watching the other hundred channels we get. I'll be preparing a Pathfinder campaign and going to see the new Hammer horror movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, the game is on tomorrow. I'll probably play some video games and forget all about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have a dog in the fight, and not really interested in the commercials. I'll watch something fun instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to the zoo if it doesn't rain. Then I'll probably play some Skyrim.

EDIT: It's 8:38 AM on SB Sunday and I'm firing up SKYRIM and working on my second cup of coffee.

EDIT: 1:33 PM. It didn't get as warm. dry or sunny as predicted. Goodbye zoo trip. Hello more Skyrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
"Intentionally not watch" is a weird phrasing, as it implies active avoidance.

That's how I intended it to read. I won't go to a party because I would still have to sit through one of the most boring sports around. If someone didn't care one way or another but still wanted to socialize around the event, they could check answer 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:
cool username wrote:

Ummm... I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is televised worldwide--m not on broadcast television, but on specialty channels or cable (think whatever the Chinese version of ESPN 2 is).

Plus, even if it isn't, Armed Forces Network will show it (sadly sans commericials), so there will be at least a few hundred thousand people watching it well outside of North America.

Diis

Hence the "and have no way of seeing the game". I know it's available in a lot of places. Just not everywhere (I would hope).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Don't have a dog in the fight, and not really interested in the commercials. I'll watch something fun instead.

E.T. is on AMC tomorrow night. I may watch that. I saw it once, in the theatre, so I think I'm due. And my kids have not seen it.
So... popcorn time!

I hope I don't have to turn the channel every 15 minutes because they show "walking dead" commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
spending quality time with some powerful friends:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really interested, I usually watch it for the commercials but even those have been in decline for the past few years. Tomorrow will be another game day for me (Today was too)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be driving my daughter to her soccer game. She plays a stupid 45 min drive away. Such is life in the boonies.

What I don't understand is why they scheduled her game for 6pm instead of earlier. It'll be interesting to see how many players show up.

But if I wasn't doing that, we'd be intentionally watching the game. I like to make a day of it, we invited TomA's mom last year and made lots of snacks and dips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What is this "Superbowl" of which you speak?

We'll go to church, come home and eat lunch, I'll do some work while our son takes a nap, then we'll do whatever he wants to do. So a normal Sunday. If the game is on in the afternoon, we may go to the museum.

The only reason it's worth watching is for the commercials. The last time I had it on in the background for commercials, there weren't even any of those worth watching for. And now that there's YouTube, there's no reason to turn it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Super Bowl? That's baseball, right?

The earlier my city (wherever I happen to be living) gets knocked out of the playoffs for any major sport, the happier I am. They could even win the championship, as long as they do it really fast so I stop hearing about it day and night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brooklyn Art Museum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do people hate sports extra much just to be contrarian? I only ask cause there is LOTS of stuff I hate and just ignore. Granted, none of them are as large as the super bowl. The reason I ask is cause people seem to specifically do non sports things almost as "HA HA Look at me NOT watching the superbowl" or is it just the magnitude of the event makes it harder to avoid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Brooklyn Art Museum

see, thats what I am talking about. Maybe you would be going to the art museum on any other random Sunday as well, but you are not right? you are going BECAUSE its super bowl sunday right? Atleast a little somewhere deep inside its like a "take that sports!" Its totally fine, I ahve no issue with it, I am just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Brooklyn Art Museum

see, thats what I am talking about. Maybe you would be going to the art museum on any other random Sunday as well, but you are not right? you are going BECAUSE its super bowl sunday right? Atleast a little somewhere deep inside its like a "take that sports!" Its totally fine, I ahve no issue with it, I am just curious.

I'm not doing anything that I normally wouldn't do on a Sunday. It's just frustrating that EVERYONE I tried to hook up with, even those who hate football, are still busy directly because of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Laundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Brooklyn Art Museum

No. My parents are in town and they want to go to the museum. None of us care about sports. It is a matter of indifference. We did consider that we might be the only people there, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
What you call Superbowl Sunday, I call boring old work Monday. I'll be at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm watching the "GAME", of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind watching football, but I don't have any interest in it. My family gets together for the Super Bowl every year, though, and so I'll usually watch half the game with them. It's all about the company and the food.

I'm particularly excited about this year, though, because my brother is cooking the the infamous Buchanan Special. Do not be surprised that you felt an eerie chill down your back when you read those words. Like the shadow of a leaping cougar upon the forest floor, you do not have to know the Buchanan Special to fear the Buchanan Special. Expect pictures.

The funny thing is that, like I said, I usually leave halfway through, and on the drive back home all the streets will be completely deserted. You could have a naked parade through the middle of town with Scarlett Johansson as the grand marshal and no one would ever know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have a response for ‘I have something better to do’, or ‘we will be playing to intensely’ to watch a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No option for watching the game and having friends over. If it turns out to be a bad game, however, we'll likely turn on the Kinect or play a boardgame. Unless everyone's gone by then (we all have kids) then maybe watch Downton Abbey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.