Popular Tags: [View All]
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Zest (If that is your real name)

Since you have just joined BGG to give this review, and another poster has posted a review and removed it, I have a few questions.

1) If you are part of the origional Playtesting group, do you have any photograps of you guys playing the game?

2) Can you give an example of gameplay. An example turn, How its similiar to Pandemic, how its not, etcetera.

3) Since your one of the playtesters, and probably friends with the publisher your 10 out of 10 rating is understood, but a bit circumspect. 10s dont really exist on BGG, Could you give some details why (in your playtester biased opionion) you think this is so good?

I think what people realy want to see here is some more "meat" of the mechanics of the game, time to play, replay factor etc.

Thanks for any addtional data you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
Dr. Zest (If that is your real name)

Since you have just joined BGG to give this review, and another poster has posted a review and removed it, I have a few questions.

1) If you are part of the origional Playtesting group, do you have any photograps of you guys playing the game?

2) Can you give an example of gameplay. An example turn, How its similiar to Pandemic, how its not, etcetera.

3) Since your one of the playtesters, and probably friends with the publisher your 10 out of 10 rating is understood, but a bit circumspect. 10s dont really exist on BGG, Could you give some details why (in your playtester biased opionion) you think this is so good?

I think what people realy want to see here is some more "meat" of the mechanics of the game, time to play, replay factor etc.

Thanks for any addtional data you can give.

The fact that this person posted this exact same review word for word in this thread and then deleted it only to repost it again has made me cancel my backing until I see some VERY concrete reviews from trusted sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:

The fact that this person posted this exact same review word for word in this thread and then deleted it only to repost it again has made me cancel my backing until I see some VERY concrete reviews from trusted sources.

The fact that these weird shill reviews have started to pop up has caused me to do the same. No need for panic though, the author still has 43 days left in the campaign to get someone credible to review the game. I would love to see that and will happily repledge if that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

The fact that these weird shill reviews have started to pop up has caused me to do the same. No need for panic though, the author still has 43 days left in the campaign to get someone credible to review the game. I would love to see that and will happily repledge if that happens.

The designer can't control who creates a BGG account and says what about his game. For all we know this person is a friend who took it upon themselves to try to help out -- but only caused trouble. The game has already well exceeded their funding. It would be *really* silly of the designer to resort to these types of antics in order to create false hype -- especially considering that Zest's (I guess it wasn't Zest, but I think we're all convinced this is the same person) the first post flew directly in the face of everything that the designer has stated about his game so far (the reviewer compared it to Austin Powers, said it was Shagadelic, and his attempts at humor made the whole game sound bad).

I'd like to hear some input from the designer himself on the topic before we all take to the streets with pitchforks and start retracting our pledges. Mr. Maxwell has been very pro-active in the discussion of the game thus far. I think it would be in his best interest to speak on these reviews (ignoring them, Jason (Edward, I guess? The game is credited to Jason on the game's page), will only fuel the fires).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I apologize for all this. While I have not solicited anyone for a review Marc made me aware yesterday that he wanted to post in the forums. I believe he misunderstood how serious forum readers read posts and I should have made that clear to him. Because Marc is that person in the group who always has the constant sense of humor. He is however an avid gamer. I didn't quite understand that Marc would compare the game to twiddly winks - that is just Marc's sense of humor. Although he tried to get me to listen to his comments before it went up, I was busy with a screaming 4 year old at the time.

The game has exceeded all my expectations on Kickstarter so I have had little motivation to get people to rate the game a 10 or even to put up reviews (F. Branham's review came out of nowhere) although I do welcome them if done seriously.

Having said all that, R. Launius told me weeks ago he plans to write a review or post his comments. I don't know if or when it will go up - he is usually very busy - but there might be a review forthcoming. But remember I have little to no control over who rates the game or what kind of posts are made in these forums. Thanks -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
wadenels wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

The designer can't control who creates a BGG account and says what about his game. For all we know this person is a friend who took it upon themselves to try to help out -- but only caused trouble. The game has already well exceeded their funding. It would be *really* silly of the designer to resort to these types of antics in order to create false hype -- especially considering that Zest's (I guess it wasn't Zest, but I think we're all convinced this is the same person) the first post flew directly in the face of everything that the designer has stated about his game so far (the reviewer compared it to Austin Powers, said it was Shagadelic, and his attempts at humor made the whole game sound bad).

I'd like to hear some input from the designer himself on the topic before we all take to the streets with pitchforks and start retracting our pledges. Mr. Maxwell has been very pro-active in the discussion of the game thus far. I think it would be in his best interest to speak on these reviews (ignoring them, Jason, will only fuel the fires).

I agree with you on all points. Like I said, no need to panic. The designer has over a month to work things out. SMERSH is the most expensive Kickstarter I've backed thus far. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I want the project to be as good as I hope it is, but without any credible reviews I'm slipping a bit more to the cautious side than optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:

Having said all that, R. Launius told me weeks ago he plans to write a review or post his comments. I don't know if or when it will go up - he is usually very busy - but there might be a review forthcoming. But remember I have little to no control over who rates the game or what kind of posts are made in these forums. Thanks -Jason

Now, that would be interesting!
The games by Mr Launius I have played have all been quite good. He has a great love for theme and storytelling.
I am really looking forward to hearing his thoughts.

Best of luck with the Kickstarter campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radioactive Man
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now twice reviews have been posted by a new user shilling the game and then deleted. GeekMod is working great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General since the OP conatining the actual review was deleted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.