Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Thomas
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to talk about Freezers and Gunners in the Blue City. These can be tricky nuts to crack and the reason is simply because you can rarely afford to take the hits and they are almost impossible to block. Fire Block 10 for the Freezers is a tall order, Ice Block 8 for the gunners not much easier (except for Tovak).

So what are the options? There are a limited number of "shut down" effects: Banner of Fear, the final ability on Amotep Freezers. The attack of the Freezers can be absorbed on some units: Altem Mages, certain bannered units with either the Banner of Protection or the Banner of Glory or both can absorb hits. The Gunners' attack is obviously much harder to absorb.

There's a couple of spells that can help circumvent it too. Certainly Wings of Night to skip their attacks or Underground Attack so you can beat them with Ranged Attack. A couple of standalone artifacts like Horn of Wrath can also help.

This all sounds like a lot of options but they are mostly quite expensive on resources for what in any other city are very manageable enemies. Also none of these options are necessarily going to be available to you in a given game and even then you've got to get the right draws.

What do you think? Are there other ways of dealing with this? Do you find any other city-enemy combinations particularly challenging? Werewolf in the Red City perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemies like this are the reason I often recruit illusionists (white mana: target enemy does not attack this round)

They allow you to 'pause' the real badass enemies like freezers or that coldfire mage thing, and get one free attack in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silentz wrote:
Enemies like this are the reason I often recruit illusionists (white mana: target enemy does not attack this round)

They allow you to 'pause' the real badass enemies like freezers or that coldfire mage thing, and get one free attack in.

Target unfortified enemy does not attack this round. Given that he's talking about city defenders, they're all fortified. Illusionists are awesome, but not quite that awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find the gunners a lot less bad to get then the freezers, due to the freezers paralyze.

The best defense off course is siege attack.

Therefore catapults are great against freezers and ice mages.
You already mentioned the altem mages and during the night their ability to turn all your attacks into siege attacks can help greatly in destroying your enemies before they attack you.

Also, have the Utem guardsmens block takes the swiftness away, helping in an easier block.

I have twice already had a city with 2 freezers, and regardless of which city it is, it is always hard, especially if there is another enemie with paralyze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Richards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Whilst they won't help with the Gunners, as a low level solution to the Freezers, the Utem Guardsmen can provide Block 4 and the loss of Swiftness, leaving you with a much more manageable Fire Block 3 to find. Failing that, they even have 5 armour so you can throw them away as a sacrifice without needing to lose additional units or take the paralyse yourself.

To block the previously mentioned Werewolfs in the red city, you need only find an additional Block 3 with them, and they handle all other Swift enemies with ease.

All hail the Utem Guardsmen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Silentz wrote:

Target unfortified enemy does not attack this round. Given that he's talking about city defenders, they're all fortified. Illusionists are awesome, but not quite that awesome.

then combine it with an underground travel or something to ignore site fortifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Thomas
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
I find the gunners a lot less bad to get then the freezers, due to the freezers paralyze.

You already mentioned the altem mages and during the night their ability to turn all your attacks into siege attacks can help greatly in destroying your enemies before they attack you.

I find getting that amount of siege attack to be quite hard. But I agree if you can get it this is definitely a good time to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, scraping together Siege is very tough. Those green monks do it in the silver units, and of course Catapults in the gold units. A couple hero skills toss in another one. Very tough unless you focus hard on it.

Given a choice, I'll take a fortification-flattening spell any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Membury wrote:
the Banner of Protection or the Banner of Glory or both

Not quite sure if you're saying a unit with both banners or two units with one each, but just thought I'd mention that units can only have one banner each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Membury wrote:
mag74b wrote:

I find getting that amount of siege attack to be quite hard. But I agree if you can get it this is definitely a good time to use it.

That's why I mention the Altem mages. with them it suddenly gets easy to get a lot of siege attack at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Thomas
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilP wrote:
Membury wrote:
the Banner of Protection or the Banner of Glory or both

Not quite sure if you're saying a unit with both banners or two units with one each, but just thought I'd mention that units can only have one banner each.

I was not aware of that, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.