Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spells like fireball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sutterlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
The way I have been reading cards is it looks like you cant spell boost damage on cards like fireball. It's 5 flat damage. Am I right, or can you spell boost to do 5+X?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unless the damage is described as in relation to "the energy of this spell".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sutterlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cool that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing my wife over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

We've always played it differently. The rules aren't explicit, but they do say you use power to boost spell cards. Not just spell cards that require power.

ASFIK you can add power to any spell. If it is a duration based spell this extends the life of the spell and if it's an instant it adds to the damage or effect of the spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy used to boost only ADDS to movement; it REPLACES the energy value of a spell, I thought, unless the card specifically says "equal to the energy of the spell plus X".

P11 of the rulebook, right at the bottom.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmkraehe wrote:
Hmmm...

We've always played it differently. The rules aren't explicit, but they do say you use power to boost spell cards. Not just spell cards that require power.

ASFIK you can add power to any spell. If it is a duration based spell this extends the life of the spell and if it's an instant it adds to the damage or effect of the spell.

You're both right and wrong. You can boost temporary spells to extend their duration, even if they don't mention power explicitly. Also, while i think nothing prevents you from boosting fireball, the effect is always a flat 5 damage, so the boost would have no effect. Only if the spell card said something like "2 plus power of this card" would it make a difference. So yes, you can boost any spell, but in some cases that won't make any difference.

EDIT: and like the previous poster said, boosting spells replaces the original power, it does not add to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireball will always do only 5 damage - it cannot be boosted with energy. At least that is how I play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigerus Vigerus
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
propagandawarmachine wrote:
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing my wife over.

Blew into tears!!! You made my day man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.