Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Casperson
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read, I don't think so. But I want to be sure. In Magic, I could attack with several creatures and wait to see what blocked what before I buff the unguarded one with a 'Giant Growth'.

Is there a similar mechanic in this game that allows me to play a Waterbolt and then if there is no counter, buff it up with an energy card? Or do I need to do them simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly - there's only a "stack" insofar as counter spells are concerned, and it's possible (through "Anti-Anti") to counterspell a counterspell, but that's about as far as it goes.

This is not necessarily a bad thing by any means - I love playing Red/Blue Counter/Burn decks in M:TG, so I'm very happy with complex stack manipulation, but Wiz-War is a more wild-and-woolly, looser game all round, and wouldn't really benefit from timing complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb

There's no stack.

Number cards need to be be played simultaneously with the card they're adding to. Even in the case of counterspells, it's not a stack, it's a queue. Cards happen, then counterspells affect each other in turn (including the Anti-Anti).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stack is not clearly defined, but yeah, the play a card, wait for the counter just happens in practically the same way. Some issues might come up if multiple opponents are being attacked or if someone else wants to defend another player to prevent yet another player from winning, but this game is not meant to be taken as seriously as Magic and in my experience it's rare to see timing conflicts, such as player priority, arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty well defined in the rule book, under ATTACKING. "If casting an attack spell, he plays any cards used in the attack." You play any associated energy card first (and any other "pumps" if they exist yet), THEN the opponent decides whether to counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetroll wrote:
This is pretty well defined in the rule book, under ATTACKING. "If casting an attack spell, he plays any cards used in the attack." You play any associated energy card first (and any other "pumps" if they exist yet), THEN the opponent decides whether to counter.

If there are multiple opponents, who can decide whether to counter and when? Is this limited only to characters in LoS or to characters actually being targeted by the spell?

Thanks for being here, Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
If there are multiple opponents, who can decide whether to counter and when?!

I'm not sure how that would happen. In the base game the only things that can attack are the player-controlled Wizards, and they only attack on their turn. I'm not aware of any way for two wizards to both make attacks at the same moment as it can only be one person's turn at a time.

There are some hazards like Wall of Fire and Thornbush that can injure you during while you are moving, but I'm not sure how you could hit one of them at the same moment you were attacked on someone else's turn? Spells that move you around against your will go off *before* you start moving so after you are moving it's too late to counter it.

If you are talking about countering global spells like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the new edition, but from my experience with the older editions, you might want to "help" another player if it means not letting another player win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.