Subject: Game/people/creative rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: site-design [+] [View All]
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
Too much people on Earth. Nihilism is the true path.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this classification really useful?

Many time a submitted picture is declined because wrong gallery was selected, leads only to submit it again in correct gallery.

If instead of simply declining, the admins simply change gallery, it will reduce users workload and admins workload !!

Salud!
Oscar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if the uploader decides to ask where my picture is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
What do you mean?

You upload it to game and the admiin changes it to creative, now unless they tell you the gallery has changed (thus not decreasing thier work load as its an extra message they have to type) you will not find it in nthe galleery where you tried to post it. Thus you will want to know where it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always felt that the mod process should allow the mods to determine the correct gallery category. When the user gets the geek mail that their image was approved it would contain a link to the gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Teofilus wrote:
What do you mean?

You upload it to game and the admiin changes it to creative, now unless they tell you the gallery has changed (thus not decreasing thier work load as its an extra message they have to type) you will not find it in nthe galleery where you tried to post it. Thus you will want to know where it is.

Nonsense ... the very same mail that tells you the picture was approved can contain the gallery it was posted : same workload.

Anyways, I've never used the gallery distinction. Is it really useful ? The distinction is thin and objective and when checking game's pictures, the thumbnails are enought to tell you if the pictures interest you or not, not the gallery they are in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Teofilus wrote:
What do you mean?

Nonsense ... the very same mail that tells you the picture was approved can contain the gallery it was posted : same workload.

Anyways, I've never used the gallery distinction. Is it really useful ? The distinction is thin and objective and when checking game's pictures, the thumbnails are enought to tell you if the pictures interest you or not, not the gallery they are in.

I belive the message is autobot in nature, as such someone would have to write a new message. Also they would have to write code that inserts the appropriate text into each message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not autobot but is surely just a matter of radiobuttons and checks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
It's not autobot but is surely just a matter of radiobuttons and checks...

Which some one will have to write the code for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your right, is better to submit twice the pictures just bcz they are in wrong gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
Your right, is better to submit twice the pictures just bcz they are in wrong gallery.

Well for the poepl who right the code it is, they don't have to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the three categories are extremely useful. When I want to check out a new game, I start browsing the game gallery. If it is a popular game for which heavy customization is common, this is the only option I have to see what the game really looks like out of the box. It is not unusual to find 40 pages of game images 50% of which show customized components.

I agree that the wrong gallery should be auto-corrected by the geekmod process, but this is probably not so easy to do. Geekmod was there first, and much later came the option to change the gallery of an image. Before that, it was a manual correction process to move an image. So, there is an existing and working geekmod process without the move component, and the programmers are pretty busy with other stuff. The geekmod process will probably remain as it is for a while. Still, I find your suggestion good and I think it has been suggested before.

One pet peeve of mine is that some uploaders use the game category for their creative images. This may be carelessness or intention, because the game category is represented on the front page. OTOH, it must be frustrating to make a good miniature image with hours of customization and painting, and another hour for making a difficult macro photo with excellent lighting, and then getting only three thumbs for it because nobody looks at the creative category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The categories are helpful. It's annoying when researching a game to have to sleuth whether the bits I'm looking at are out-of-the-box or custom-made. So, anything that facilitates getting pictures in the right category, I'd be 100% behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
to find 40 pages of game images

I see your point, the games I use to look at have never more than 3-4 pages of images, when they have more than one... grand total... This gallery stuff annoys me than other thing... But with 40 pages... A certain order is needed... Agreed.

Despite loading the coders with work, allowing admins to simply swap gallery instead of decline/resubmit will be nice and time saving for both, users and admins themselves. Imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
allowing admins to simply swap gallery instead of decline/resubmit

I agree, to an extent, but there's an easy solution - just submit to the correct gallery in the first place I've only uploaded 70-ish images, but haven't had a single one declined because it was in the wrong gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Teofilus wrote:

I agree, to an extent, but there's an easy solution - just submit to the correct gallery in the first place :) I've only uploaded 70-ish images, but haven't had a single one declined because it was in the wrong gallery.

I have not uploaded that many, but have never upliaded to the wring gallery, its not that hard really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Teofilus wrote:

I agree, to an extent, but there's an easy solution - just submit to the correct gallery in the first place :) I've only uploaded 70-ish images, but haven't had a single one declined because it was in the wrong gallery.

You are assuming that there is a concrete "correct gallery" - which is a fallacy. I often get items rejected as "wrong gallery" when they are photos of unmodified components, but have depth of field or focus in the back of the frame.

Case in point: this image was rejected in the game gallery but accepted in creative. There isn't really any reason it doesn't comply with the game gallery guidelines.

So really, which gallery it "belongs" in is up to the whim of whatever group is geek modding at the time, not some cut and dry determination. There is no way for me to "just submit it to the correct gallery in the first place".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, rejection bcz wrong gallery come often bcz of macros pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hezkezl wrote:
haslo wrote:
Teofilus wrote:

You are assuming that there is a concrete "correct gallery" - which is a fallacy. I often get items rejected as "wrong gallery" when they are photos of unmodified components, but have depth of field or focus in the back of the frame.

Case in point: this image was rejected in the game gallery but accepted in creative. There isn't really any reason it doesn't comply with the game gallery guidelines.

So really, which gallery it "belongs" in is up to the whim of whatever group is geek modding at the time, not some cut and dry determination. There is no way for me to "just submit it to the correct gallery in the first place".

Is it a picture of game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The caption says something like "tree after collapsing", so it is the resolution of the game, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Is it a picture of game play?

Yes, this particular game doesn't end until all of the bark is knocked from the tree, so it's actually mid game. I'm sure that my smaller depth of field and focus on the standing tree gave someone the impression of an "artsy" picture, but as far as guidelines go, it should belong in "game".

For a while I submitted all of these types of pictures to creative, and had them rejected as belonging in "game". The inconsistency can be really frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
haslo wrote:
Teofilus wrote:

I agree, to an extent, but there's an easy solution - just submit to the correct gallery in the first place I've only uploaded 70-ish images, but haven't had a single one declined because it was in the wrong gallery.

I have not uploaded that many, but have never upliaded to the wring gallery, its not that hard really.

I've uploaded over 100, and never had a problem with "wrong gallery" either. The distinctions don't seem difficult to me, and I appreciate the time spent on organizing them. When I go to the gallery for a game with pages and pages of images, the first thing I do is filter for 'game' images.

BTW, do people really hunt for their own images by going to a gallery and filtering for the category they specified (presuming they can remember)? Even with 100+ game images, I find it easiest to look at my own list and click directly on the one I'm looking for.

I'd also note that acceptance notifications for images already provide a link to that image, so even if mods were able to change the gallery, all you'd need to do is click on it when they send you the PM and you'd see where it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me its more an issue if inconsistancy then anything else, and I'm not sure that the idea of auto-redirection will address that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Seems to me its more an issue if inconsistancy then anything else, and I'm not sure that the idea of auto-redirection will address that.

It would alleviate having to upload an image multiple times, and unneccecarily clog up geek mod with the same image. Instead of guessing how the current geek mod squad is going to classify the image, it would get classified in the mod process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I've uploaded over 100, and never had a problem with "wrong gallery" either.

I think a lot of it has to do with the style of photo. Looking at your submitted pictures, it looks like you do mostly snapshot style photos, and don't mess with the depth of field in your images. Those tend to be accepted into game just fine. It's when you have unmodified components, but non-snapshot style composition that the mod process seems to break down.

For example: should this be in game or creative?

Hint:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
it was rejected as "game" by geek mod with the comment that it should be in the creative gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.