Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was following the discussion about this on another thread but didn't quite get the designer's final word. Is the regular release of the game going to come with the encounter book or with cards only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game and book will be separate. Thanks -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply... another question, also based on the previous thread's discussion: what does that mean, rules-wise? You mentioned that the key difference was the decision matrix that is present in the book but not in the cards.

What exactly is that? Is it something that lets you choose how to handle a situation (example: try to fight or try to hide), whereas the card-driven version only gives one way to deal with each encounter (say, just fighting, in the context of the previous example) with two possible outcomes (success or failure)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the book you will draw an encounter card that has a group reference written on it. You will look at the responses for that group and choose one - similar to Tales of the Arabian Nights and choose your own adventure books. Your response will be routed to a particular encounter in the book which will be read aloud.

If you don't use the book you will use a different set of Encounter cards that contain the encounters written on the card that you read aloud. You don't choose a response. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
The game and book will be separate. Thanks -Jason

what will the MSRP be for each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure. Probably $65 and $25, maybe a little cheaper if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have addressed this already, but will the book be packaged/fit into the game box (for those that order game + book) or will it have to be stored separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I understand.

I remember, you were still taking format suggestions in the previous thread but I guess you're already into production now?

If you are still able to make changes, have you considered doing double-sided cards like in Fortune and Glory? You could probably fit numerous ways of resolving a card if you had both the front and the back of it to write on (though you would probably need to make separate cards for intel/no intel situations). You could draw from the middle so you still wouldn't know what you were getting... the replayability would then be similar to what you get with the book (way higher than with binary cards) and the depth of game-play would also be pretty much the same. It would be very easy to make numerous cheap and appealing card-based expansions.

Just and idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 encounters on each card - one for intel and one for "no intel". The double sided card is an interesting thought but it would not add more depth - the cards would just fit more encounters. But it is a good thought I will keep in mind. Thanks -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far I know the book will fit inside the box. I am discussing it now with the printers. I hope there are no surprises on that end. We will wait and see but I want to ship the book inside to Kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so the encounters in the book don't have any more depth than those on the cards... there are still only two ways of resolving them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The encounters in the book are sometimes longer and they are written to correspond to player's choices, such as "Act normal" or "Let's have some fun." But otherwise they are the same as the cards. I think the book gives players a bit more immersion, and I have been thrilled with the response I have gotten from play testers using the book. You could also mix the core cards with the encounter book cards for a more varied experience. The game will be versatile and fun. And since we've started the precedent of writing encounters directly on a set of cards, it will be easy to bring out expansions (whereas expanding the book more than once, I think, would be cumbersome). The expansions, if done, will be themed so you get a different experience in the game and new stories. -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you're saying that its the same amount of choice whether you use the book or the cards. Choices like "act normal" and "lets have some fun" aren't really that important... its not like we're talking about losing fundamental decision options like "be friendly with x" vs "fight with x". Rather, its more of a question of having to settle for shorter and less colorful paragraphs to describe the same options. Is my understanding correct now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.