Subject: Warships from the second Industrial Revolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion is about navies from the beginning of the steamship until the arrival of the Dreadnought. I recommend a book that really should be more famous: http://www.amazon.com/History-Confederate-Navy-Raimondo-Lura... - A History of the Confederate Navy, by Raimondo Luraghi. It is strange that it would be a foreign author who wrote the best naval history from our Civil War, but he did a good job. One of my favorite Civil War books.
Also, from a wargaming perspective, it's interesting how they've never done a possibility of the Laird Rams entering a game. That would really upset the balance on the high seas.

The only other similar battles that I know of are of the Austrians in 1866 and the Brazilian monitors in the war with Paraguay.

It would be interesting if great powers had gone to war in this time, to see whether the battles would be even more decisive than in Napoleon's time. The Russo-Japanese War seems to indicate that navies were even more important than they had been 100 years prior. In the American revolution, the French Naval Victory off Chesapeake Bay was important only because it kept Cornwallis from escaping the way Burgoyne had after losing in New York. Even Trafalgar was more about defeating an invasion than breaking the back of a country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaquinto's Ironclads Expansion included the Laird Rams, and also had scenarios for a hypothetical Franco-American War involving ironclads. That was a really great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalanche Press has had a game proposal up on the 1866 Battle of Lisa as a development of the GWAS system for quite awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Yaquinto's Ironclads Expansion included the Laird Rams, and also had scenarios for a hypothetical Franco-American War involving ironclads. That was a really great game.

I wish someone would give that game an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.