Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Anything in there on worker conditions?

Two (at least) major global "commodities" that many of us enjoy
are a mixed bag when it comes to the joy we get from them and
the realities of production. The other being chocolate.
See "Bitter Chocolate" by CBC's Carol Off.

I'd like to see more games dealing with these issues.
Not just treating everything is a Disney fantasy land.
Pandemic is one type of game that in my opinion has done this type of thing, whether intended or not.

A future expansion, perhaps?
The dark (roast. HA!) side of coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:

Ha! I like it.

Sadly, no social commentary about working conditions or exploitation in the game. The flavor text is very minimal and no specific country has a permanent negative. It's tough to pull off something like that in an abstracted euro game, but I'm glad there are others to champion human rights issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:
Anything in there on worker conditions?

Two (at least) major global "commodities" that many of us enjoy
are a mixed bag when it comes to the joy we get from them and
the realities of production. The other being chocolate.
See "Bitter Chocolate" by CBC's Carol Off.

I'd like to see more games dealing with these issues.
Not just treating everything is a Disney fantasy land.
Pandemic is one type of game that in my opinion has done this type of thing, whether intended or not.

I see where you are coming from but there are in general two practical issues. First games are a pretty shallow medium for communicating a point so that point tends to need to be communicated in a simplified or exaggerated style. This is why you get the "Disney" like storybook effect. If you engage in social commentary in a game it needs to be subtle so you do not overwhelm the game itself and at the same time your palette to accomplish that is very limited compared to art, music or a book.

The second issue is that most game themes are done on the principal of least offense or most attraction. Plague/Zombie themes might offend some but are very attractive to a significant segment of consumers. Medieval trading may not be hot to many but it offends almost nobody. Adding social commentary has the potential to offend many and attract few which is usually not a recipe for trying to sell an entertainment product.

Reading this back, I realize I have been thinking about this previously at some length so my response may be as much to myself as to your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Yeah. I pretty much thought as much since I posted.

Being a fan of Steve Jackson Games, it seems they have been somewhat successful with social commentary.
Probably my first card game was their CCG Illuminati New World Order.
I found that game pretty funny when I was in high school.

Equally interesting, but not necessarily social commentary is their Burn In Hell game. They use historic figures that are jokingly in hell...maybe. The back, non-playable side of the cards give a little bio of each person.

I hope I did not sound like a jerk in my initial posting.

Also, I would like to say I am greatful there are many games that are not necessarily fighting (war) based, including yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.