Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Blood Bowl: Team Manager a lot, so if you're familiar with BB:TM or Arcana, you might recognize the set-up a little. I came up with something similar to this a while back, but I may have worked out the kinks this time.

[CARDS ARE POSTED SEVERAL PAGES DOWN, AND ARE ON ARTSCOW. PM me or post here for the link. They are low resolution, after I get mine, I might make a high resolution version using a different template. OVERALL, the cards I received look good except for Killing Fields, and I will make the text on the cards ALL CAPS to make them more readable from a distance.]

The Rules:

Locations. Locations are worth +5 +3 victory points at the end of the game, Wounds are worth -1 victory point.

Each player has a single location in front of them. When a minion comes into play, you must commit it to a location. Only two players can commit to a location, but if all of a player's minions are destroyed, then a new player can commit themselves since there's a vacancy. However, the location in front of a player is always available to that player. Player A can always commit to location A, and while Player B could commit to location A, Player B and Player C could not fight over location A - it could only be Player A versus another player at location A.

At the start of your turn, all your minions at the various locations attack as normal. The defending player gets to choose how to defend as normal, however, minions can only block attackers that are at the same location as they are. As normal, any unblocked damage is dealt to the defending player.

If no enemies oppose you at the start of your attack phase at a location, then the minions at that location do no damage. RULE CHANGE: The exception is if you're at a player's "home" location (the location in front of a player) - if a player A has no minions at location A, and player B's minions attack, then player A suffers all unblocked damage, even if he has no minions at location A.

Unblocked minion damage only causes wounds to a defending player if the at the defending player's home location. Because of this rule, the "home" player assigns how all minions block. (So, the attacker assigns how minions block if at the attacker's home location.) OPTIONAL RULE: Furthermore, the amount of damage blocked has to be maximized - this prevents a player from taking 1 damage instead of losing the location, but it also prevents you from taking 1 damage to save your Big Ghost.

If, after attacking, there are no opposing minions remaining at a location, the attacker gets the location, attacking minions get discarded (as normal), and a new location is placed into play. There is a separate Locations deck (from which new locations are drawn), and won Locations are kept in a separate score pile for each player. If the Locations deck gets depleted, the game is over instantly (should only happen after an attack phase anyways.)

Now, here's some extra fun, instead of locations being just Victory Point factories, they also have some unique effects to encourage you to favor one location over another.

Keywords:
Commit: if no other minions you control are present at this location, trigger the Commit effect. So the first minion you play there will trigger this commit effect.

Assist: if you target a (enemy?) minion present at this location with a Chain effect, trigger this effect. You can only trigger one Assist effect per card. (Some locations have Assist effects which cause the Chain effect to trigger again - you can't "go infinite" with these effects.)

Locational: The effect always applies to minions at this location.

See the uploaded cards three posts down. Some names have been changed, and locations with "Commit: return target [Ghoul, Vampire, Lycanthrope or Hunter] to play from your discard pile" have been removed.

Road to Revenge:
Locational: do not discard target minion you control after attacking.

Key Terrain:
Locational: if your last minion at this location is destroyed (not discarded), gain a Wound or discard two cards.

Trading Post:
Locational: at the start of your turn, you may discard two cards to return target Action card from your discard pile to your hand.

Foggy Forest:
Locational: whenever a Lycanthrope suffers damage, negate the first point.

Blood Bank:
Locational: Vampires heal 1 damage at the end of each turn.

Ammo Depot:
Locational: All Hunters gain+2 Strength.

Fresh Graves:
Locational: At the start of your turn, target Ghoul from your discard pile is placed at this location.

Junkyard:
Commit: draw 1 card.

Sanctified Church:
Commit: destroy the Minion placed here if it's a Vampire. This effect only triggers once (flip this card.)

Choke Point:
Commit: if an enemy Minion is present, inflict 2 damage on the Minion just placed here or you gain 3 Wounds.

Ambush Site:
Commit: if no enemy minion is present, you may return target Action card from your discard pile to your hand.

Haunted House:
Commit: resolve the minion's Chain effect (again if possible.)

Research Facility:
Commit or Assist: resolve the card's Kicker (again if possible.)

No Man's Land:
Assist: trigger the Chain effect again and target a Minion at this location.

Supply Cache:
Assist: return target Action card that costs 2 or less from your discard pile to your hand.

Hospital:
Assist: target minion at this location heals 2 damage.

Killing Fields:
Assist: return target Minion card that costs 2 or less from your discard pile to your hand.

Abandoned Base:
Locational: if you claim this location, gain two cards from any private or public archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Re: Nightfall location / anti-kingmaking variant, inspired by Blood Bowl: Team Manager.
It's interesting. I'm not sure that it would be Nightfall anymore, but it's interesting.

I love Team Manager, but I don't think I'm ready to mix the two games just yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Nightfall location / anti-kingmaking variant, inspired by Blood Bowl: Team Manager.
More groups I play with like BB: TM than Nightfall, it seems. Maybe if I make Nightfall more like BB: TM, I will get to play Nightfall more often.

More seriously, while Nightfall is great and I always want to play it, it can feel a bit arbitrary and I know at least one friend wanted there to be some restrictions on who you can attack.

In this variant, if you blow up a minion with an Action card at one of your locations, you know you just saved yourself some damage. Similarly, if you want to "hunker down" you can commit to just one location and only one other player will be able to attack you. Of course, taken to extremes, this may be bad for the game, but I hope that that style of play will be discouraged most of the time and that a good deck / player will be able to occasionally commit to two locations and win both, or at least win one while stale-mating at the other.

The diplomacy element is preserved as even if a player decides to play defensively, other players' Chain effects can impact them. Blow up the defensive player's minions or do direct damage to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought was that I didn't want people to be punished for being aggressive and trying to claim multiple locations, but I figured that was just part of the balancing act.

What if:

Unblocked damage only damages the player if the unblocked damage happens at the player's "home" location. (The location in front of them.)

However, this means there's no incentive for a player to willingly block at an "enemy" location, so you'd always have to let the "home" player decide how blockers block.

It might also make more sense if multiple attackers could attack one be blocked by one blocker - this makes a swarm of weak minions less effective at dealing damage, but it also prevents the un-thematic situation of a blocker being left alive with other minions sitting around doing nothing. I don't think weak minions swarm past strong minions all that often in Nightfall, so I don't think it's a huge gameplay change.

In fact, this may be better overall, since it also avoids the odd situation where you wish that you had dealt more damage to enemy minions so that you would have eliminated them all and thus claimed the location.

This also means that having no minions in play doesn't mean you're safe from minion damage. In fact, I think the other version of these rules will need to be changed so that an undefended home location means you take all unblocked damage. (The rules in the first post required that you have a minion at the location in order to take unblocked damage.)

Maybe also have the game end when the location deck is depleted, and if at least one location has not been conquered during the attack phase, discard a location from the top of the deck in order to act as a "clock" and prevent a long game - like when everyone has Vulkos out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some ideas. I know some pictures have sunlight in them, let me know if you guys have a better picture or a better piece of flavor text.

Hopefully I can playtest these within the next few weeks and upload them to Artscow.

18 locations, with the preliminary idea being that there are 10 locations in the location deck for each player, and you'd have 3 copies of each location so you can play with up to 5 players.

With 3 players you'd probably use 2 copies of each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look fantastic! Yes, please put them on Artscow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I posted the cards on Artscow. I used a double-sided card version with slightly larger versions of the cards on the back, since I use opaque sleeves anyways. You can look on Artscow's page to get a code that lets you buy the double sided cards for $10 (free shipping), or you can be patient and wait for a better deal... and my results.

Please send me a message or post here if you want the Artscow link. WARNING! The images are low resolution, so they all have the warning triangle box.
So far Artscow hasn't cancelled the order, but I am not sure how good they will look. After I get them, if they look bad (and my friends like the variant), then I will make a high resolution version using the high resolution template for Magic Set Editor, but they'd have a modern Magic: the Gathering card template. Or I can send the art I used to anyone who wants to do this themselves. If I'm really ambitious, I might try using a technique in photoshop to make these images high resolution. Hopefully a) the text will be perfectly readable and b) the large art will still make it easy to distinguish what card is in front of what player.

Also, there were minor text changes, which I will post on the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you did not do them in high resolution but will now try to scale them up? That sounds the wrong way around...

But the art itself is 300dpi or more? If yes, I can give it a try and put the suckers into NF framing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I used Magic Set Editor to produce the images, and it produces the images in 534 x 350 or so resolution. Someone has found a way to "scale them up" using Photoshop. There is a Magic Set Editor template which is in high resolution, but they'd (obviously) look like Magic cards.

All, or most, of the art is around 1024 x 768... so on a 3 inch card (or smaller, maybe, since it's just the art space on the card?) that should be 300 DPI or close to it? Resolution divided by inches = DPI I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1024x768 is more in the direction of 300dpi. Minus frame it should be enough to work with. How can I get the images? Can you put them on a server or into a dropbox or somnething? I think they might be to big for email, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PM me your e-mail and I can use a service like YouSendIt or something. Some images are bigger than 1024, and if any are too small, I'll find some others... searching for video game "concept art" helps, I've found.

In a few weeks, I might just trim the art images down to a uniform size and add BIG TEXT on top of them, since I think it might be useful if it's very easy to distinguish locations from minions (especially since minions rotate as they take damage, so you can't just turn the location on its side.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick test. I don't know the right fonts, I need a symbol for the upper left (moon) corner and perhaps the sizes are not right yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks pretty good!

The art definitely looks crisper.

By the way, I included the flavor (quoted) text just because there was a space for it on the template. If you want, it could be removed and the rules text could be larger, or there could be more space for the artwork.

As for a symbol for "moon" corner, you could possibly use icons that symbolize LOCATION / COMMIT / ASSIST. Or three letter acronyms could be used, and we could change ASSIST to TARGET or something.

Here are some (big!) sample icons.
Not sure if they'd look good though, but it's an idea.

For Assist

For Location

For Commit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I will get the Artscow cards in the coming week, but a couple thoughts:

1) What if captured Locations went into your deck? This may be more hassle than it's worth, since I want to keep Locations valuable, especially if Locations are reduced to +3.

They would just be "dead" cards which serve no positive purpose, and slow down the leader. (Alternately, they could act like a Coldest War Wound - discard this card to link any card, or act as a Wound when discarding Wounds to draw cards or do extra damage. Or they could just mimic the Wound that is on the top of the Wound deck.) This is partially just for cleanliness - prevents everyone from having to keep a pile of captured Location cards and may help prevent people from determining who the leader is.

However, this logically means Locations could be Exiled! But you could make Locations an exception.

Or, Locations capable of being Exiled are less of a problem if:

a) you use "Clever Ivan" from Coldest War rather than "Genesis One" in your Starting Decks.

b) you use #2 below.

2) Adjusting Location victory points from +5 to +3.

I actually originally thought they should be worth +3, to keep cards that do direct damage or remove Wounds from your deck potent, and to make sure that Minions aren't unreasonably powerful.

However, I went with +5 to encourage people to fight over Locations.

But one thing I thought of: is under the current rules, a home player may choose to take damage rather than blocking with a minion, preventing the attacking player from claiming the Location card. I think the current rules are pretty simple (home player assigns blocking however they want), and rather than changing the rules to prevent this behavior, I'd rather discourage it by making locations worth less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received my Artscow Cards, and overall, I am very happy with how they turned out.

What I'd do differently: pick some new art for Killing Fields (turned out poorly) and maybe Junkyard or No Man's Land. Still, perfectly playable.

I'd also use ALL CAPS for the font, since it could be a lot more readable. Particularly bad is the flavor text, which I'd make bold and all caps as well - but the flavor text wasn't that important.

I'd also change "No Man's Land" to specifically state that you had to target the duplicate effect at the same location - prevents No Man's Land from being a no-brainer, especially with effects like Hysteria.

Playtest game.

Allowing players to take damage instead of blocking with minions was promptly changed (since it was deemed "lame" after I pointed out that a player could take 1 damage rather than letting his Charlotte die to prevent a player from winning a location) to dictate that the attacker got to assign blockers, with the caveat that as much damage had to be blocked as possible.

Maybe there's a better solution to this, or I should stick with the old version, but if the rules state:

"If a player chooses to take unblocked damage, he concedes the location" it could potentially be abused.

But maybe not - after all, the player is taking at least 1 damage in order to make a future opponent more powerful. Still, the -1 versus +3 point ratio could be abused by requiring a player to redirect their attacks.

Other than that, it was a very interesting game with the Coldest War's "Victor One" meaning every player had Hysteria, I had Furious Melee, Propane Improv was another player's private archive, one player had Sophia Otrava, and All Fear's Revealed was a potential buy (but no one did.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think I've come up with a set of rules to fix all potential problems.

Of course, a player can always take damage if he does not defend his home location.

If a player would take damage, his opponent claims the location. The defender assigns all blockers and attackers, and multiple attackers can be blocked by one blocker.

1) The location is claimed by the attacker.
2) All minions present at that location are discarded. (Which is kind of thematically appropriate - after all, the location changes.)
3) The defending player suffers 3 wounds, regardless of the strength difference. (Or, if you prefer, suffers at least 3 wounds, more if the strength difference is greater than 3.)

First, we're reverting to the old model where you can take damage at ANY location you have minions. However, #3 minimizes the damage a player can receive, thus reducing the risk of committing to an opponent's home territory.

#3 ensures that there is minimal advantage to collusion amongst players. Under the old rules, it's possible (maybe not likely, but possible) that players could occasionally collude and deal 1 (or maybe even 0) damage to the other player in order to score a +3 VP location.

#3 does prevent a massive late-game attack on a player, but, if you're that strong, you could probably claim another location (or maybe even 2) as well.

#2 prevents a player from realizing he cannot defend, and thus declares no blockers, in order to counter-swing.

#2 also prevents Jerome Carceri from sticking around forever.

#2 could be changed to read DEFENDING MINIONS rather than all minions.

Card Specific Notes

Unblockable effects (Alton Hickman, Bone Cruncher): these effects just do damage without claiming the location. 2 Alton Hickmans swing for 6 damage, and if you also claimed the location, the player would receive an additional 3 wounds.

Defensive effects (Legion Ten, Damon Montez, Flayed Ghoul): these effects apply to ONE minion, so if Legion Ten is blocking two minions, he only negates the damage from one. (Kind of annoying that the card says "minions" rather than "minion" but oh well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
A quick test. I don't know the right fonts, I need a symbol for the upper left (moon) corner and perhaps the sizes are not right yet...

Had some more time... the fonts used on the original NF cards are not free, so I searched for some better replacements. For the moon corner I used the target symbol. I'm quite happy with 'Copper Penny' as card title font, but the current flavour and effect text looks to slim to me, I have to find a better one here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each type, new logos, card set indicator in lower right corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

Those newest ones without the flavor text look amazing!

Artscow is running a 2 decks for $12 deal (promo code CARDS314) until April 5th, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already ordered my deck on Sunday with a $9 code. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:
Already ordered my deck on Sunday with a $9 code. ;-)

Does that mean your entire set is finished? If so, I'd be greatly obliged if you could share the files / Artscow link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the idea, cards look lovely. Just an FYI though, you spelt Abandoned wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakatron wrote:
Like the idea, cards look lovely. Just an FYI though, you spelt Abandoned wrong

Curse u, brokken spellchekka!

Ok, I'm cheating, the GIMP does not do spell checking...

I got the cards yesterday, the frame is a bit to wide, one less zoom might give a better result. But playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.