Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but here goes. It seems that the game's action selection mechanic is rather harsh, since a player who has no majority when their turn comes around must not only skip their turn, but also remove their markers from one of the actions, thereby forfeiting that action altogether. How about a variant, in keeping with the peaceful resort-island theme of the game, where a player in this position just loses his turn, but doesn't give up the action markers? It seems like this would still encourage majority placement (since performing an activity earlier is rewarded by the game) without completely hosing the player who doesn't have a majority at some point in the game. What do you, the gaming collective, think? Has anyone tried this?

Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Vanuatu we inadvertently played it this way. I turned out fine. We do, however, enjoy playing it the more cut-throat way better. Makes the role of the "preacher" actually worth taking some times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
More power to you if you find it more fun, but aren't there lots of other games to play that are like that already? It seems like you would be removing a distinctive and fun part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
More power to you if you find it more fun, but aren't there lots of other games to play that are like that already? It seems like you would be removing a distinctive and fun part of the game.

I agree it adds to the tension, but I've had some players who were new to the game that didn't consider it fun when they got screwed out of doing anything. They aren't interested in playing the game again because of this experience. I think experienced players can avoid these situations better, so I'm thinking I might try this variant when I'm teaching new players (a learning variant so-to-speak).

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and experiences.

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once you come to terms with the fact that in some rounds you may only get one or two actions, and even with five action markers getting more than three in a round is like a gift, then the game loosens up a bit and losing an action here and there tends to be expected. I'll make some moves knowing I'll likely not get to take the action but hoping for a nice cascading effect to give me a little bonus. This risk/reward works well for me.

However, I also play with my family, who occasionaly need a bit of a handicap to compete well with me, so I'm tried a few things to deal with this. If the problem is more that one person tends to dominate over others, there's some things you can try, sort of like giving extra stones in a Go game:

-- take characters as normal, but advanced players are not allowed to use the action of the character.

-- give advanced players one less action marker (I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds feasable; I'd recommend playing 1-2-1 if you try this).

-- allow someone to avoid losing action markers by paying vatus to do so; the amount could simply be 1 vatu or whatever works out well for the group.

-- your idea here of simply not removing markers and skipping a turn.

Again, I think the main problem where people get upset is they expect to do all the actions they setup, and it may take a game or two to adjust to how Vanuatu works, so that peple either put more action markers in the most necessary actions, or if spread out understanding they may not get all the actions they would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tsoi
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering getting this game. Probably I will. But my worry is that my game group consists of some inexperienced players and they will get frustrated if they are screwed to an extent that they cannot take any action in a round. Inspired by the new Governor card, I have an idea of giving every player a virtual Governor card every round. Players can, once per round, if no majority, move his action marker(s) from one of the action space to another which already has his action marker(s). Do you think it will work? I hope this variant will not take out the tension of this game but at the same time make this game more forgivable for new players.

Comments are welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the new Governor card? If it's something that allows players to avoid getting completely shutout, I would recommend using it for new players. You might also want to try out the variant I mentioned at the top. I tried it with a group of casual players and it worked well. I told them up front that I was introducing a easier variant and they agreed it was good for the first playing, but they want to use the regular rules next time around. So it worked like I hoped it would.

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.