Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a question on how to interpret a great peoples card.

The card is Nikola Tesla.

It says:
Research: You may discard this card when adding a tech of level 2,3, or 4 to your tech pyramid to place it one level lower in the pyramid than normal.

My question is this:

Do you need to "have" an available level 2, 3, or 4 space to be able to play this card?

For example, in our game last night someone had a tech pyramid with three level 1 cards, two level 2 cards and one level three card. Tech phase came around and the player plays Nikola Tesla and places a level 2 tech card on the bottom row of his/her pyramid. I argued that the player would have needed a legal space for the level 2 card to be able to play Nikola Tesla. Thus he/she would not have been able to play the card. Are we reading the card correctly?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my_game wrote:
Do you need to "have" an available level 2, 3, or 4 space to be able to play this card?

I disagree; Nikola Tesla allows you to research even if you don't have the room. You need to have the room for the one-level-lower tech. As I see it, its purpose is to give you a big technological jump (such as playing a level 4 tech on turn 5).

With that said, this IS a Fantasy Flight Games game, which means the wording can be read either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
my_game wrote:

I disagree; Nikola Tesla allows you to research even if you don't have the room. You need to have the room for the one-level-lower tech. As I see it, its purpose is to give you a big technological jump (such as playing a level 4 tech on turn 5).

With that said, this IS a Fantasy Flight Games game, which means the wording can be read either way.

That wouldn't work playing a level 4 tech on turn 5. The tech has to be placed in a legal position, it can just be one level higher or lower than where you normally place it.

So a level 2 tech could always be played as a level 1, but you could only place it as a level 3 if you had an empty place to play a level 3. It does 2 things first it can let you fill a lower level with a better tech or it lets you fill a higher lever with a cheaper tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
The tech has to be placed in a legal position, it can just be one level higher or lower than where you normally place it.

Wait, what? One level higher...? Where does Tesla say anything about a level higher?

Quote:
So a level 2 tech could always be played as a level 1, but you could only place it as a level 3 if you had an empty place to play a level 3. It does 2 things first it can let you fill a lower level with a better tech or it lets you fill a higher lever with a cheaper tech.

Yes, a level 2 tech could be played as a level 1, a level 3 as a level 2, and a level 4 as a level 3... And last I checked, you can get a level 3 tech on turn 5... *confused*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The card text seems pretty clear to me. Your friend would be correct in placing a level 2 at the bottom. Otherwise the card serves no purpose. He still has to be able to afford to research a level 2, even if it is placed in a level 1 spot.

You still have to place it in a legal spot. Since space for level 1 techs are always available, there wouldn't be problem with placing a level 2 tech with Tesla. If you were playing a level 3 tech, you would have to have a level 2 spot available in your pyramid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Getting back to this again, because I find it to be ridiculous.
What I read from this thread is that you can research about any technology you want as long as you can place it with Nicola Tesla in a valid spot afterwards.

That means your 6th technology can be a level 4 technology? (3x level 1, 2x level 2, 1 available level 3 spot) Normally you would have to wait 4 more technologies to have one. Isn't that kind of impact too huge? I mean even compared to other great persons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the GP deck is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
I do realize that, but is Nicola really intended like that?
When I read the card, it seems to me that you have to have an available spot the research the technology normally and another one below if you chose to use Nicola Tesla.
The argument being that you have to be able to research the technology in the first place as you buy it first and place it down afterwards. He is much much weaker that way and doesn't really measure up to others anymore, but that's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be able is to have the trade to do so. You can´t research a level 3 if you have 11 trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
I guess I evaluated that limitation to be negligible as I played Greece and was constantly at max trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade is hard to get, you usually see people fighting for barracks, losing too many turns building harbors and trade posts and even building the colossus for a little extra trade. To get to 21 trade is not as easy as greece makes it seem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.