Escape from Colditz» Forums » General

Subject: Which version is the best ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: later [+] [View All]
Mark Brown
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
Hi, I am looking to buy a second hand copy of this game (on a bit of a nostalgia kick at the moment) and wondered if there is any significant difference between all the versions... Is any one version considered the definitive version, or is there one version with a significantly better board etc etc etc Thanks in advance ! Mark (I always liked getting the staff car)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you don't buy "Escape From Colditz Castle" by mistake....its a completely different game and significantly inferior, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
Ive seen that the 2nd edition of the Gibson Games version (the one with the eagle not the swastika) has a four piece interlocking board which seems to me to be a bit thin and flimsy. I think I would prefer the old style fold out board. Does anyone know what type of board came with the 1st Edition Gibson Games version ...??

I have actually seen pictures of both a two piece fold out board and a folding four way board... Does anyone know which board come with which manufacturer/version ?

Thanks in advance

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kelly
Ireland
flag msg tools
I have the Gibson verson with the swastika on the box... and that also has the 4 piece interlocking board. And yes, it is lighter and flimsier then the parker board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have an early edition Gibson Games copy bought in the late 80s/early 90s with the folding board and a black and white loose paper sheet for the "box bottom blurb" that is now taped inside the lid.

Apart from having plastic pawns as opposed to wooden ones it appears identical to the Parker Bros. one I played at college in 1976.

My copy has the "Escape Equipment" lid, but being an American market copy (where they don't let the Swastika be displayed on commercially available stuff - even model Stukas!) it has a Germanic eagle in the white roundel where the swastika should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Ney
msg tools
mbmbmb
markyb7 wrote:
Ive seen that the 2nd edition of the Gibson Games version (the one with the eagle not the swastika) has a four piece interlocking board which seems to me to be a bit thin and flimsy. I think I would prefer the old style fold out board. Does anyone know what type of board came with the 1st Edition Gibson Games version ...??

I have actually seen pictures of both a two piece fold out board and a folding four way board... Does anyone know which board come with which manufacturer/version ?

Thanks in advance

Mark

When I was a kid I had this version with the interlocking boards (my parents got rid of it when I went to school, sob). The boards were fine. The problem was where the boards interlocked it wasn't going to be totally even and for the circles that land on these borders your pawn would often be tipped over because they can't stand properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.