Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a fairly new player (less than 20 games) I wanted to play the whole series in order. I only play solo and have not played a cardgame since Spellfire My deck building skills are we could say a bit rusty so maybe this is the problem? Being a big LOTR fan, I love this game and have bought all of the expansions. Passage Through Mirkwood took me about 3 tries to beat so I thought I would move on to Journey Down the Anduin! Wow! I am stuck big time! Have tried many times with several different deck builds. After several failed attempts at the scenario and going back to Passage Through Mirkwood, I decided to give another DL:4 scenario a try. With my spirit/tactics deck I mowed down Hunt for Gollum as easily as I could beat PTM. Just wanted to ask the public which scenario I should try next and If anyone felt the same way I do about the difficulty scaling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. The ones in base game seem harder at first because you're still learning how to play the game effectively. Also, some decks will have a much easier time with certain scenarios than others. And then, sheer bloody luck.

I don't think there's any science involved with those difficulty numbers, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should probably be a different difficulty rating assigned for solo vs multi-player. And within solo, there could be a different difficulty rating for each sphere vs a "designed to beat this scenario" multi-sphere deck. And within each sphere, you could have a different rating based on using core cards only vs core + expansion cards + thinning (each of the core decks have gradually become more rounded and powerful). You can see why the ratings are fairly arbitrary then, as they're kind of meant to average all these things out :-)

Having said all that, Anduin solo is much harder than the "4' given it. But a 4 might be about right for multi-player. The Dead Marshes, nominally a 5, is much easier to solo than Anduin, even with single sphere decks.

I imagine one day someone will be bored or interested enough to develop a database with these differentiations. There's enough players now to populate enough win/loss stats so as to work out averages and then derive a rating. Its been thought a 4 might mean to expect to lose 4 times out of 10 plays, but who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
The difficult scales is done for 2 players game only!For solo play we should to have another system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
The difficult scales is done for 2 players game only!For solo play we should to have another system.

Have FFG or Nate confirmed that, have they? I must have missed it.

For 2 player, I reckon there's probably two different ratings there as well, one for if both players use single sphere decks and another for if a multi-sphere deck is used by either or both players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
It really depends on deck / number of players.

For example, HfG was always one of the easier scenario for me when I soloed,

however, just today, I was playing 2 player of it with a friend and it got dramatically tougher.

After getting our ass handed by HfG few times (3 Loses and 2 very close wins),

me and my friend tried out Escape from Dol Guldur with same decks we were using for HfG, and it was piece of cake (we even had to kill Ungoliant's Spawn and Chieftan Uftak at the same time within first 3~4 turns, but was not much of a big deal).

This probably happened because of the type of deck we were using, since HfG is much more location oriented than Escape from Dol Guldur.

I hear lot of people complaining about Difficulty Level being incorrect, but I can not think of better way of ranking a scenario since different deck will result in different experience.

Heck, some decks I use breeze through Anduin, Rosgobel and such scenarios, but have really really tough time with Mirkwood, just because of that freaking spider in the beginning of game, but that does not mean Passage through Mirkwood should be ranked above Anduin or Rosgobel scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another recent thread addressing difficulty- I'll see if I can find it. My view was that there should be only three levels of difficulty givenm because there are too many variables and vagaries to go beyond that: Beginner, Intermediate, and hard!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757513/difficulty-labeling-f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.