Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two caveats--one, I never played Storm of Swords for first edition, so I've no idea if something like this was implemented.

Secondly, I'm just making this up off the top of my head, so I'm more than open to suggestions. It may be horribly broken, I don't know.
--------------------------------------------

House rule: the books are chockablock with children and betrothals being horsetraded for favors, and nobles captured through battle or happenstance being held in fear of their lives.

New rule: the winner of a battle keeps the loser's House card. If that house makes subsequent attack(s) against the hostage taker, the defender may place that card back in its owner's discard pile in order to A) add the hostage's combat strength to their own or B) make use of the hostage's text ability (if any.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that certain cards are designed to be used when you lose a battle, this seems like it would really screw with the game. Also, since you have to cycle through your hand, having your low cards hostage could be an advantage.

Storm of swords did have a hostage system. Each house had two leaders that were on the board. If that leader lost a battle, the winner could reduce the casualties by one to take the leader hostage. Hostages could be used to steal power, and if they were executed the corresponding house card was permanently lost. (The leaders always matched the 4 and one of the 2s).

For all the details, you can find the Storm of Swords rules in the FFG support archive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
prior hostage discussion here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8424218#8424218

same idea, but mine seems more thought out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Christodoulou
Greece
flag msg tools
Hmmm... how about a Hero Card is lost to the winner (as a hostage) if and only the battle lost resulted in all units destroyed.

The winner takes and keep the card. From there on the house owning the card can trade for it either via political bargain (cease fire etc) or by granting power tokens to the other house.

Furthermore if the first house takes the homeland of the second the card is returned to its owner.

It is much more rare to have an army completely annihilated and thus this way the ruling wouldn't mess with the game balance while at the same time the extremely thematic and interesting hostage issue would be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.