9 Posts

Yomi» Forums » Strategy

Subject: An advanced Lum guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Garcia
msg tools
Hey guys,

I wrote a guide to Lum play. Lum has a lot of depth, but he's not easy to play. For this guide I will assume that you are familiar with basic Lum play but you're looking to upgrade your skills to the next level. Another assumption is that you like to block. If you don't like blocking, this guide is not for you.

My credentials: I am Yomi World Champion. I hope this credential is enough for you to take my guide seriously.

Obliterate Your Opponent By Blocking: A Lum Guide

Hand size
Each Yomi character has a maximum hand size, over which additional cards do not add much value. For example, an Argagarg with 12 cards is not that much scarier than an Argagarg with 8 cards. Grave with 12 cards is just as threatening as Grave with 18 cards.

Against anyone except Grave or Argagarg, this rule does not apply to Lum.

5 cards? Not so great.
10 cards? Better.
15 cards? Now we're getting somewhere.
20 cards? Looking good.
25 cards? Great!

This leads us to Lum's most powerful option:

Blocking
Block. Block. Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block! Block!

When in doubt, block!

Against almost every character, blocking is your best move. If your block gets thrown, usually that's no big deal. If it goes block/block, great! You gained something, even though it might not seem like it immediately. Block/dodge, wow! And block/attack is the stuff panda dreams are made of.

Gotta block!

Attacking and throwing
Against people who throw a lot, like Midori, Rook, Setsuki, or Degrey, you will need to discourage throws. The safest way is to counter-throw. Lum has two fast throws on the 6 and the 8, and will often win on throw speed. The other way is to attack with Jack or Queen. Which one to use depends on the character. If you hit with Jack, generally combo into Kings. The Queen is much better if you have a second Queen to pump.

Roll the dice will often give you your face cards back, even if your attack was blocked! This is great for Lum, since on average he will maintain card advantage.

Remember, you just need to do enough throwing and attacking so that you can block a lot. Gotta block!

Converting cards to damage
Okay, now you've got 25 cards in hand, but only 30 life to their 50. Fear not, you have the advantage now! Lum has two ways to convert his hand into damage.

1) Poker Flourish
2) Both sides of his Ace

Do a lot of those things. More details later on.

Even at this late stage, don't forget to block! Gotta block!

Card analysis

Block! This is Lum's least valuable block. But a block it still is! Block a lot with this. It's okay as an emergency dodge, but you probably don't want to dodge too much. If you have sufficient blocks, this is okay to pump throws with.

3, 4
These will be mainly used to trade in for aces and for throw pump fodder.

Block! A good block. Very occasionally you can use it in a J-5-6-7 combo. I rarely do this, though, because the 6-throw and 7 are so valuable. You can also pump throws with this.

Fast throw. This will beat all throws except for Rook and Midori. Almost always use this to throw.

Jackpot! Jackpot's main use is to cycle your deck for cards. This helps you arrive at a poker flourish hand faster. Don't underestimate this! Also, you can keep them in hand to discourage opponent powering up. Very rarely, they can be used in combos or to block.

Throw! 8 damage attack, whatever. Throw instead.

Throw! Also can be used as emergency block. However, 9 damage is good. Throwing is good.

T
This card is not a throw. This card is not a block. This card is Poker Flourish.

J
Fast attack. Good to combo into Kings. Queen is also ok if the Queen is not useful as a combat card against some characters. Very occasionally, J-5-6-7 or J-6-7-8 is okay.

Q
0.4 speed means this will be beaten by 0.2 speed moves. Nevertheless, it's great! 8 or 16 damage is good for Lum.

K
Kings get better if you have lots of them. Only use in combos.

A
Aces also get better with more. I rarely play these early game, because they cannot be retrieved with Roll The Dice. Don't rush to power up with Aces from your deck; the best use of an Ace is to be picked with Roll The Dice!

Joker
Blue burst only.

Poker Flourish
Want to get a straight flush poker flourish in more than a third of your games? Read on!

Straight
The Straight option is very niche. Use it when a Joker bluff absolutely devastates your opponent. This is generally against Valerie and Degrey.

Flush
The Flush option is situational. When you're up against Grave or Argagarg, you often want to go for the Flush. The advantage is that it's very easy to set up, and you don't mind too much if it's countered. Often you should go for Flush when facing Setsuki, too.

To set up: Just focus on one suit and play those cards last. You don't even have to go out of your way to avoid playing them! Also, if you power up for an Ace, make sure it's the same suit.

Full House
The Full House option is occasionally useful. Mostly, it'll be after you do a 4 of a kind, and you have another Ten in hand. 7 damage isn't much, but if it's in endgame, you can use it to finish off your opponent or to deal that extra bit of damage.

To set up: Full house should be there automatically in your hand with a reasonable hand size.

Four of a Kind
There is a rare form of 4oaK, and a common form. The rare one is when you are lucky and have quads in your hand, or you have trips in your hand and the fourt card is revealed with Roll The Dice. No set up is required, and you should almost always go for this one. You have a high chance of hitting 21 on the Blackjack, because there are still Aces left in the deck.

The common form is done with 4oaK Aces. There are two setups for this:

Normal setup: You have four Aces in hand. You play either Blackjack or Pandamonium. If you hit with either of them, great, massive damage! If you don't hit, the Ace goes into discard and you can 4oaK. (You can even Roll The Dice if your Pandamonium was blocked!)

Turbo setup: You have three Aces in hand at the end of combat, or, you have enough pairs to power up to three Aces. Then, discard two Aces to power up for the last Ace. Your discard pile now has two Aces, and you have two Aces in your hand. Warning, this method is extremely card intensive!

Most of your Poker Flourishes should be 4oaK.

Straight Flush
Straight flush might seem hard. Here's the secret to getting a lot of Straight Flushes!

1. Ace is always available to you.
2. 2 is rarely available to you, because you need to block with it.
3. 6 is rarely available to you, because you need to throw with it.
4. You can often retrieve Jack, Queen and King with Roll The Dice.
5. Ten is often available to you, since you need it to play the Poker Flourish.

What this means is that the easiest Straight Flush to get is TJQKA. 7-9 are also possible. It's very difficult to get a straight flush on the low side.

There's no need to deliberately hoard cards for Straight Flush. Just play normally, and use the offsuit card when you have a choice.

When you do straight flush, first find out whether there are any Jokers left in the deck. Then, decide whether you want to use Flush or Full House for the second option. If there are Jokers in the deck and you want to use Flush, play Flush first, because Joker is very damaging to 4oaK. This won't actually reduce the odds of a Joker, but it gives you more visibility to decide when to stop.

Matchups
The +/- afterwards indicates the matchup advantage. + means Lum is favored, - means opponent is favored, = means even match.

Grave -
Forget Poker Flourish. Try to hit his early game Jack with your own Jack or Queen. Throw him often.

Jaina =
Block, like, a zillion times. Very occasionally do a 6-throw or Queen. You should block more and more as it approaches endgame. Poker Flourish for massive damage.

Midori +
Midori is pathetic in early game. Throw him a lot in early game without fear. Mix in Jacks as well to keep him honest. Once he gets a hand, do more Queens (to beat Dragon Mountain) and blocks. Midori cannot really deal a whole lot of damage with normal throws, he needs Dragon Form.

Setsuki =
Block and 6-throw are good here. Jack and Queen are also good ideas, you will need to keep track of Setsuki's Queens though. Even though she has a counter, Poker Flourish is very possible. I tend to go for Flush PF here because Lum really needs more cards, quickly, in this matchup.

Rook ++
A lot of throwing in early game, J, and Q. Very often, if you have two Queens in hand and land a Queen, you should NOT followup with the second queen. Queen is the key card in this matchup as it beats Wall of Vines. By the time you've used up most of your J and Q, you should be able to kill him with Poker Flourish.

Geiger =
In early game, block, 8-throw, J. Blocking a Time Spiral in early game is no big deal. Hitting a Time Spiral with Jack is really great. Later on, switch to 6-throw. You should get a Poker Flourish setup before Geiger can get a threatening Temporal Distortion setup.

Valerie =
Valerie is only threatening with a big hand. She can get this by blocking or Ace. Your task is to block the Aces, and throw the blocks. At around 10 cards in Valerie's hand, switch to more Jacks and Queens instead of blocks. Wait it out and Poker Flourish her.

DeGrey +
DeGrey's innate is the main problem here. Attack a lot with J and Q in early game, don't be afraid of his Ace dodge at all. In midgame, throw more, because DeGrey doesn't have good attack options. You will probably Poker Flourish with the 4-of-a-kind Aces trick. This is one of the only matches where you should frequently power up pairs for Aces - because 4oaK Aces PF is very card intensive, but this is exactly what you need to mitigate DeGrey's innate. You should still block a lot in this matchup.

Lum =
Block a lot, 6-throw, and Q. Poker Flourish him.

Argagarg --
Gotta throw him a lot. Go for Flush Poker Flourish, whether he counters it or not, you get card advantage. You need card advantage to pump your throws.

Conclusion

Is your hand size around 15 cards? You're not blocking enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the guides looking forward to my game arriving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Whoa. isn't friik the World Champion now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garcia
msg tools
When someone becomes president of the United States, it's correct to address them as "President Clinton" rather than "Mr. Clinton". You might not know this, but when a president leaves office, it's STILL correct to address them as "President Clinton" for example, and Mr. Clinton is actually incorrect.

This might be something to keep in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this guide, I learned a thing or two, and it renewed my fascination with Yomi a bit again

garcia1000 wrote:
When someone becomes president of the United States, it's correct to address them as "President Clinton" rather than "Mr. Clinton". You might not know this, but when a president leaves office, it's STILL correct to address them as "President Clinton" for example, and Mr. Clinton is actually incorrect.

Ah, but it is also incorrect to say that he's "the president of the US", because that only applies to the current president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
garcia1000 wrote:

This might be something to keep in mind.

With sport teams and such, I think most people list a year, if they aren't the reigning champions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe 'I am a World Champion'. Like Chess. I can handle 'World Champion garcia1000' .

I am the World Champion is clearly wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great work! thanks for this - i never played Lum because he seemed too random, but i see that if you mitigate that he's pretty good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Spaceman wrote:
great work! thanks for this - i never played Lum because he seemed too random, but i see that if you mitigate that he's pretty good

That's what makes me really like Lum, I guess - he's not random at all, but has all the flavor of tremendous randomness. That, and he's a crazy panda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.