Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While playing my two newest-to-me games, Twilight Struggle" and "War of the Ring," I've found midway through games that I'd been ignoring some very important text on some cards about when certain continuing effects end. Why?
After playing Magic: the Gathering for more than a decade, I've been conditioned to completely ignore italicized text on cards. Italicized text is flavor text on Magic cards, and while I'll likely read it at some point, I don't need to pay any attention to while I'm actually playing the game.
When games print actual rules text on cards in italics, I'm going to miss it at first -- perhaps for turns or even games. I know the designers are probably trying to let you know that the italicized text isn't something that has an effect when you play the card, but there has to be a different way to do this.Perhaps a bold "this effect ends" in front of the conditions that end the effect would work better.
Does anyone else have this chronic problem, or do I stand in a significant minority?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite. I almost always read the italicized text on the Magic cards. It carries on through most other CCG's/LCG's that I've seen. Italicized text is always story text, but I still read it almost every time I see it. (Especially on new cards: if it's story text, it's story text I haven't read yet!)

I could see how it edit: would be could become second nature to skip over it on cards if you conditioned yourself to ignore it, though. I don't imagine it's a common problem, but I don't think you're entirely alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only read italic text when sleeving cards, then I'll ignore it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanics explanations are also italicized on Magic cards. Flying, Persist, Affinity, etc,.

I'm conditioned not to read Magic cards at all. Who doesn't know what a Tarmogoyf, or Force of Will, or Vendillion Clique looks like? And of course we all know what they do.

Until the goblin deck has a tarfire, or a trinisphere is in play, or someone wants to target themselves and is calling a judge over because they did not, in fact, play duress.

While Magic does condition us to ignore certain things to some extent, we usually have brought it on ourselves if we ignore too much.

Extending that conditioning into other games is the fault of the gamer, not the text formatting of the gaming industry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mechanics explanations are another thing you can pretty much ignore on Magic cards. Thanks, but I know what those abilities mean, moving on now.
Magic has also been around much longer than most board games popular here. Would it not be wise to pay attention to how other game companies format cards to see what works well and what gamers expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, I don't think it's something that the industry should "be aware" of. I think it's safe to say that when playing a game for the first time, you should pay careful attention to every piece/word you see. Heck, sometimes I glance at the tiny copyright/artist text at the bottom of a card, just to see if the designers were sneaky and tried to throw in a joke or something. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fair to say that explaining mechanics is not something someone who plays magic as a 'new to me game' should be ignoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also been conditioned to believe that most italicized text is flavor text, but this is from playing board games, not Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
I have a similar problem. I YELL CAPITALIZED TEXT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I ignore red lights as I find them difficult to see when I drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem.

On the up side, you won't read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid is an example where in the worst cases 80-90% of the text on the cards can be italicized short stories, and at the very bottom of the card you might find a sentence or two crammed in there, to explain what the card actually does. All in a tiny font in order to make room for the fluff.

And no, I almost never read italicized text while playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

"I ignore italicized text on cards"

This needs to be a microbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love reading the italicized text on cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkCelt wrote:

And its counterpart: "I read all fluff text!" (Or whatever the technical term is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
DarkCelt wrote:

And its counterpart: "I read all fluff text!" (Or whatever the technical term is.)

YES! I would completely buy that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the game Arena: Morituri te salutant wouldn't be great for you then:

Where unformatted text is flavor, italicized text has gameplay information, and bold text... also has gameplay information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I played a game before where the rules worked like X, therefore I will not read the rules of any new games because they probably work like X too. This is OK, because I played that game a lot and it's very popular."

Somehow, this viewpoint doesn't seem like it's going to work out so well. You've given yourself a bad habit, you need to unlearn it. And no, I've never heard of anyone else having this issue - it seems fairly rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It just seems that you're doing a disservice to the people playing your game if 90 percent or more of your game text is in one style, and then you place a small amount of text -- at the very bottom of your cards -- in a different style.
Sure, it's a bad habit, and sure, maybe it's only a problem people who were dedicated Magic players before coming to board games have. I was mostly curious if others had this problem, too. Perhaps they don't.
Though my opponents also aren't latching onto this text as rules text, either, and they come from varied gaming backgrounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People will sometimes just overlook things. Especially when other people are overlooking it as well. It could just be a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Military Muskrat wrote:
iidhaegn wrote:
DarkCelt wrote:

YES! I would completely buy that!

So how do you feel about Android, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That card makes perfect use of italicized text. The italics at the top of the card are flavorful -- reading it likely makes the game more fun -- but the rules text is there at the bottom in regular font. I'm not sure "Haunted" needed to be bold and italics, but at least it can't be mistaken for flavor text in the middle of a sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:

I certainly would pay the 8 for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.