6 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Valyrian Steel Blade slight tweak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
One issue that comes up is that often, the Iron Throne and Messenger Raven tokens both encourage diplomacy - often the Throne is subject to numerous requests for arbitration, and the Raven often allows impromptu declarations of support.
The Blade, however, tends to be figured into pre-battle calculations - it certainly works as a deterrent, but our group finds it's not very desirable in terms of making friends.

One small variant we've tried and enjoyed is: The Valyrian Blade may be used once per turn in any combat. Note the Blade is still only used once per turn - if you use it to affect another battle, you can't use it in any battles you're stuck in! It adds a nice element of negotiation for the Blade holder and makes the Fiefdoms track more attractive and decisive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It sounds good. As you said the Fiefdoms track doesn't seem to be as important as the other two. How many times have the blade actually been used outside of the owners own battles? Cause if I had the blade I don't know if I would risk to use it until all my potential battles are decided.

I guess that the usage of the blade is determined in the support phase in the cases where the owner isn't involved? Or do you allow the owner to be the supreme executor after all other things are shown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. If I might suggest a revision, the Blade holder may use it after House cards are revealed to add +1 to the combat strength of a player that s/he supported in that battle. This gets around the issue noted above, and also makes a bit more sense than the Blade having an effect on a combat the holder is nowhere near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was going with this one, I would use Dean's limiting factor.

baronvendredi wrote:

The Blade, however, tends to be figured into pre-battle calculations - it certainly works as a deterrent, but our group finds it's not very desirable in terms of making friends.

Stannis wrote:

"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baron vendredi
Canada
flag msg tools
The first couple of games we tried with the variant have mostly been the "supreme executor" idea, with the Blade owner getting the choice after all cards have been shown and the final calculation made, but I do like the suggestions of having to play it before cards are shown. One issue we ran into with the supreme executor variant was that the Blade ended up just getting figured into pre-battle calculation just as before, so I'd suggest forcing the use of the Blade in the support phase.

The general idea is to make the Blade-holder a factor in all combats across Westeros, not just the battles he can support or participate in, and thus give the top rank of the Fiefdoms track some big, board-wide clout to intervene on the side of the underdog - and a possible way to stave off a win by another player - the fact that you can only use it once is enough of a limiting factor, I think.

I do understand it doesn't quite make "sense", but the game is fairly abstract anyway, and one could conceptualize the use of the Blade as providing indirect military aid - better weapons, supplies, training, military subterfuge, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I really don't like the sound of either of those table-wide ones - but then it's the kind of thing we can simply do differently and both be happy I'm not sure why you want it to have so much sway though, more than the Raven, which is limited in a similar way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.