Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRakeman wrote:
Is Airlines Europe similar in style to Acquire, or is it just highlighting that they are both economic games?
Somewhere in between. I understand that somewhere the designer said that Acquire was an inspiration for the earliest Airlines. A bit more than simply being "economic", both are about paying bonuses to the majority owners of stock certificates in different companies. The rest of gameplay is much more distant between the two than can be called "similar in style", in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It has some similarities. It is stock-collecting, you try to grow the companies you hold majorities in. There is no merging though, and instead of randomness in which tiles you get, there is randomness in which companies you can get stock in. They are definitely different games, but both good ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McMahon
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You buy weird things when you have to much GG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Acquire. I played Airlines once and had to own it. It is different than Acquire, but similar as indicated in the above posts.

Bottom line, I think that if you like Acquire, you may like Airlines also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Own and like both. As others have mentioned, aquiring shares in companies is the primary mechanic, and hence the obvious comparison. Rules complexity is about the same. Acquire is significantly longer, and the mergers add quite a bit more to think about. AE wins the beauty contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little maybe? Possibly the earlier Airlines version was more similar than the newer Airlines Europe version, can't really say as I've never played the old one. In fact, it's the in-between Union Pacific version I have the most familiarity with.

Personally I was never that big an Acquire fan, but I really like Union Pacific/Airlines Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.