Advanced Tobruk» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you use Full Cover in multihex buildings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of learning this game. Some things are clearer than others.

For instance: if I set up infantry in a multihex non roof location building, I can set it up in Full Cover.

From there on, my units are immune to GF, and may be fired upon and fire only from adjacent hexes. I can use a crawl or infiltration to come out of FC. Once they come out of it, they cannot get back to FC.

Now, how do you use this? Isn't it better to OP fire advancing troops from a distance, than to hide and lose substantially a turn to fire/react to the enemy?

If I crawl I trigger OP fire, and when I fire I have to half my GF factors... is it worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ol Appalachia
United States
flag msg tools
First, I usually see units drop into FC in emplacements or APCs, much more frequently than setting them up in buildings. You'll usually only see them set up in FC in buildings by defenders, in scenarios that require one side to clear out specific buildings or a certain number of them. Otherwise they tend to be easy to avoid.

Even then, Normally, you'll only set up a few squads in FC in a few, or maybe one, locations depending on scenario size. Of course there's probably scenarios that are exceptions to this. But as you suggest, you'll probably want most your squads to fire out at more than one hex range to slow down and inflict casualties on the enemy.

The ones you do set up in FC, you'd like them to be a tough nut to crack, so set them up out of LOS to H weapons, AFVs, FOs. Force him to take it at close range, with small arms or melee. As well as creating stacks of two or three squads, maybe even a leader, to make melee risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, you've been helpful!

Quote:
The ones you do set up in FC, you'd like them to be a tough nut to crack, so set them up out of LOS to H weapons, AFVs, FOs. Force him to take it at close range, with small arms or melee. As well as creating stacks of two or three squads, maybe even a leader, to make melee risky.

Hoping he hasn't got a flamethrower!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A unit in FC inside a building can still be hit by indirect fire (e.g. OBA, on-board mortar) direct fire on HPT (e.g. SCW, L|AT) apart from GF/grenade from adjacent hexes.
I am no veteran here, but one strategy I would use is to have a spotter deployed in FC in a high enough position in a building to gain a vantage point of view to the enemy positions, with a mortar sitting next to the building and out of LOS of enemy units. This way the mortar can fire safely and the spotter remains well-protected in FC as he doesn't actually fire (no Fire marker is placed) while spotting for indirect fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.