Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to invest in the PG system. I already play ASL and PG looks like a great system for platoon level tactical combat with the variety and expandability of ASL, but relative simplicity.

The obvious choice looks like Eastern Front, but I see people saying that Elsenborn Ridge might be a better introduction. Unfortunately my usual suppliers in the UK seem to be sold out of this.

I would also equally be interested in:
Battle of the Bulge
Road to Berlin
1940: The Fall of France
Guadalcanal
Beyond Normandy

My question is does it matter where one starts assuming that the rules will not be a problem? Or are some modules better than others in terms of expanding the series later (eg because they contain commonly used maps and so on)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Nothing wrong with starting off with Eastern Front. It's a good value and enables use of a good many expansions.

All of the others you mention are also fine, except Guadalcanal which is, in my opinion, a disaster. Maybe ask yourself which theatre/combatants you want to game. If you don't fancy playing the French I wouldn't advise getting 1940...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I like the French

Is there some other reason not to get 1940?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
Actually I like the French

Is there some other reason not to get 1940?

It fails your (temporary) qualification that it be used by many other modules. Though if you plan on seriously diving into PG this is a moot point.

France's maps are not as open as the Russian front boards, so AFVs will be handled differently. This gives infantry a better chance to do things besides garrison towns, though!

Fall of France is tied with Road to Berlin in overall average scenario rating on Panzer Grenadier Headquarters, a fact that should not be taken lightly.

Fall of France's scenarios are considerably more crowded than Road to Berlin's. They both average 32~33 counters on the board per battle, but FoF packs that into 2.5 boards versus RtB's 3.5, that'd create a significant difference in play.

If you're sure you're interested, any of the boxed games besides Guadalcanal (not a bad game IMO, just plays way different due to jungle terrain and no AFVs) would be fine to start with. An old hand at ASL will have no trouble whatsoever picking up the rules.

Elsenborn is generally recommended because it's the cheapest of the boxed games, and has very high quality scenarios.

If it comes down to EF vs RtB, I'd go with the latter to start. You'll get a more interesting and potent countermix, with Soviets who don't piss their pants at the first sounds of gunfire.

There's really only one downside to an ASLer starting the Panzer Grenadier series: our internet home beats the hell out of anything they've got
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, All.

I think I am leaning towards RtB now.

One last thing. Is this system well supported by Avalanche? One thing that annoys about ASL is that many modules go out of print and then are hard to get hold of, but are required for many of the products that are actually in print. Is this also the case with PG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I've seen. One of the things that frustrated me to no end with ASL is MMP's complete lack of urgency in putting out critical core modules (i.e. Americans and Japanese), while continuing to churn out Action Packs and other products that can't be utilized by a new player who lacks those OOP core modules. I say farewell to you, ASL.

Elsenborn Ridge has just become available again, so it should be making it to your suppliers in UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
Is this system well supported by Avalanche? One thing that annoys about ASL is that many modules go out of print and then are hard to get hold of, but are required for many of the products that are actually in print. Is this also the case with PG?

They try, but AP has it's own well-chronicled problems.

Take heart in the fact that the series is younger than ASL, so even the very first few games are still readily available second-hand, often unpunched, and for relatively little money.

In fact, if you find yourself paying more than original retail price for any PG game when purchasing second-hand, even if it's new in the box, you're probably being ripped off.

It's a very easy series to buy into! The problem is most people are good at that, and not so good about playing the damn things!

At PG-HQ our members average 16 games in their collection, but only 26 plays. That's less than 2 plays per title!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:
It's a very easy series to buy into! The problem is most people are good at that, and not so good about playing the damn things!

At PG-HQ our members average 16 games in their collection, but only 26 plays. That's less than 2 plays per title!

Well, if AP would stop being paranoid and officially sanction VASSAL play, some of us "collectors" might get a chance to actually play with our purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm toying with the idea of making a Road to Berlin module. Strictly barebones but everything you need to play... I have all the digital materials necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be a tease, Shad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone thinking abaout getting into the system I reccomend giving the annotated rules at PG: HQ a read. Downloadable as a .pdf and very easy to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.