Janis Grunte
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
C'est la vie!
mbmbmbmbmb
So this week, we will be 3 players ready to play a wargame. But which one of these three is best with 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Di Vito
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d) Here I Stand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Grunte
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
C'est la vie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I would love to, but it is a bit too long for this time. However I guess Sword of Rome is not that shorter!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Maria. It is built for three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Di Vito
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I've never tried SoR with 3 players...but it plays significantly shorter for my group with 5 players than HiS does with 3! The only reason I suggested HiS is that its one of those rare wargames that really begs to be played with 3 (or 6).

SoR is probably my single favorite game but I'd almost hate not to have a human Gaul rampaging around. If you do try it, let me know how it goes!

I suspect that if you are really pressed for time, Successors will be the right choice. But Napoleonics is probably less likely to devolve into a 2 v 1 than Successors. Tough call! Hopefully someone with actual experience with 3 players with these games will answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all of the above-mentioned games except for Maria. Successors is by far the best game and by far the best with 3. My experience is directly the contrary of James' intuition--a 3-player game of The Napoleonic Wars is almost guaranteed to devolve into a 2v1 situation, whereas Successors is always fluid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Successors. The game allows for any combination of players, though with 2 or 3 it's easier to move Alexander's body to Pella.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three but I have played only NW (often) and Successors (once, with four players).

I think NW is more playable with 3 players because Camps are fixed for France/Britain and one player leads Austria/Russia and have no interest to switch side (Austria seduced by France is a nightmare for Coalition with 4 players)...

So, with my friends, we are playing NW at 3 and Successors (or Wellington) at 4, even if Successors seems lighter about rules which have to be learnt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zodgrod wrote:
d) Here I Stand

I only play this with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
I have played all of the above-mentioned games except for Maria. Successors is by far the best game and by far the best with 3. My experience is directly the contrary of James' intuition--a 3-player game of The Napoleonic Wars is almost guaranteed to devolve into a 2v1 situation, whereas Successors is always fluid.

Which variant would you recommend? 3 or 2 generals each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 each.
(I also always play with the leftover extra generals out of the deck and with the optional prestige rules, but that's not strictly relevant to 3P).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, that's how we just played (finished minutes ago). The board seems a bit empty with just 2 generals for each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To play a 3 way successors I think you really do need 3 generals each. Not very many games play well with 3 players, becuause the dynamics usually end up too simplistic - it's always 2 guys beating up on the 3rd and the only change is the 3rd guy usually rotates depending on who is ahead or who is stuck in the middle. HIS somewhat improves this because each player is playing 2 powers, but HIS is still really made for a 6 player game, not 3. SoR could work with 3 players but you'd have to give one person both the Gauls and the Greeks and one person both Carthage and the E-S alliance, and then give Rome some advantage to compensate, becausing having 2 tribes sit out the game doesn't yield enough interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.