Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm new to CC and new to VASSAL. (Most of my wargaming in the past 10-15 years has been computer games via PBEM, especially the Combat Mission series.)

I'd like to try CC with VASSAL now. Is there a good, step-by-step tutorial for using the two together available somewhere?

Also, what is the etiquette of observing games at VASSAL? Do players mind being observed? How does observing work? (Do I see both sides, for instance?)

So far when I've visited VASSAL for CC, I'm the only one in the "Main Room" and I don't see any games happening. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any new-user advice! I'm trying to get up to speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1) There use to be a tutorial, in the files section. It's probably outdated by now, though. Maybe you could just try and watch other people playing.

2) Don't know about other people, I don't mind having spectators. But I do mind when they keep trying to synch again and again, sometimes freezing my computer. I'd ask before synching, and do it just once - prepare to wait, it takes its time. Once in the game, you can watch the board, the cards being played, but not the players' hands.

3) Just bad luck or timing, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a group that plays this quite frequently and we use facebook to connect
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vassalwargamers/

I have also made a few videos on how to play using vassal
http://www.youtube.com/user/charlescab82/search?query=combat...

There are 2 versions of modules for Combat Commander. One with rules enforced which is a little harder to learn because you have to know the module to play the game (adding another level of learning to playing) and for CC pacific which doesnt have the rules enforced. I know they are working on a CCE module with no rules enforced.

Also the tutorial and the original module used to create it are in the files section of this group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vassaltraining/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
charlescab wrote:
I know they are working on a CCE module with no rules enforced.

With the release of CC:Resistance, this is now the default module and is already released. So both Eur/Med and Pacific have non-rules enforced modules as their base.

This is CC:Europe Version 2.2 and is the module available both from GMT and from the Vassal Module library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way is to go to this Geeklist and post a game that you want to play. So far, I've got 2 takers trying this.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/104873/the-vassalcyber...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, all!

I look forward to getting on VASSAL with CC:E soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again--I'm here to ask for more advice.

Let's say I visit VASSAL and I see that two people have a scenario going. Exactly what steps would I take to (first) ask them if they mind me watching for a while and (second) make it so I could see their game?

(So far I've managed to get to VASSAL and move my name into a game room that others are playing, but I don't see their map, just their chat messages.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Once you've said hello and established that they are fine with you in the room, you ask if you can "sync" the game. This action will then allow you to view the game on your screen. You right click on one of the players and select Sync at that point.

Also as a heads up, some players will communicate using a VoIP service such as SkyPE or Ventrilo instead of typing chat messages. So if you don't see much chatter, that might be a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, you'll need to have the VASSAL Module of the game they are playing running, and select "Look for Game Online" through the wizard, as well as any extensions they may be using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little known feature of VASSAL is that you can right-click on people in the game room and view their profile. There is listed which version of VASSAL and the game module they are running. This way you can compare your module with theirs to see if you're compatible. It doesn't list extensions though. You'd need to sync to a game first to see if those match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
A little known feature of VASSAL is that you can right-click on people in the game room and view their profile. There is listed which version of VASSAL and the game module they are running. This way you can compare your module with theirs to see if you're compatible. It doesn't list extensions though. You'd need to sync to a game first to see if those match up.

Although it doesn't list the running extensions, it does list a checksum. This checksum value is different depending on what extensions are also running. If your checksum matched then you are running the exact same things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.