Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Rules

Subject: Am I Thick rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the title says. Is it just me. I bought the game after reading all those reviews on here and thought fantasic jusy what I'm looking for. But I'm lost went to page of rules to set up the wallace game. Set up the pieces and found the rules saying 7 blue blocks left but I have 10, and I have a red galloway block too not sure what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps someone could do a difiniative list who goes where and what should be in the pool.

I'm so wanting to play this with my mate but where left scratching our collective heads. Plaese help.

Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps they're spare blocks. Idea is to look for uniform looking blocks without mars so your oppoent can't id them. Also there is a example of play. Did you go through that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no more definitive list of what goes where than on page 7 of the rules.

Quote:
ENGLISH Deployment
Deploy the blocks listed below at full strength on the mapboard:

Nobles: All nobles (except Bruce, Moray, and Galloway) in home areas. Comyn is deployed in Badenoch.

Lothian: Cumbria Infantry.

Mentieth: Northumber Infantry.

England: Place the 13 other red blocks in the English Draw Pool face down and draw 4 blocks in England.

SCOTTISH Deployment
Deploy the blocks listed below at full strength on the mapboard:

Annan: Bruce.

Galloway: Galloway.

Fife: Wallace, Douglas, & Barclay.

Moray: Moray, Fraser.

Strathspey: Grant.

The Scottish King (6.2) and French Knights (7.61) are off map. Place the other 7 blue blocks in the Scottish Draw Pool face down.

I suspect your confusion has something to do with the noble blocks, of which (except for Moray) there is both a red and a blue version. Neither the red nor the blue version is considered part of either side's draw pool. (Well, Moray's a partial exception, but that's not relevant at setup.) At the start of the Braveheart scenario, neither the Scottish king block nor the French knight block is considered part of the Scots draw pool either; there are special conditions in the rules for these blocks to enter play.

In the Braveheart scenario, the following blocks should be left over in the draw pool:

England (13): King, 2 archers, 3 knights, 1 hobelar, 6 infantry (Cumbria infantry and Northumber infantry *are* deployed)

Scots (7): Campbell, Graham, MacDonald, Lindsay, Keith, Etterick, Norse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Rogers
United Kingdom
CHORLEY
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the red (english) galloway block, should be put aside until the english capture him. Galloway starts off fighting for the scots in the braveheart scenario.

if its your first play you will always have the nobles fighting for the english or the scots,

example..so if the scots have the bruce then the english red noble bruce is in waitng,(off the map) until the scots bruce is captured, then its just a straight swap, and be sure to keep the pip number equal to the noble you are replacing.

as for the 10 blues left, this answer may help....

1 x scottish king blue block to be placed OFF map
1 x French knights blue block to be placed OFF map
1 x spare blank blue block (if you made one tucked away in box.
other 7 as stated.

the other red nobles to be placed off map .... (do not mix draw pool with nobles)

bruce, galloway, as these start for the scots. jims reply is spot on in detail.

THERE IS ONLY EVER ONE NOBLE OF EACH NAME ON THE MAP. the other colour version of the same noble is always off map, until swapping via capture.

and remember Moray, is the only noble to have one block. which is blue, there is no red English block for him.

i hope this helps, GREAt GAME.

and no your not thick, i remember having similar issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaps. Thank you for your speedy and prompt replies. when I get home I will check it out again and draw up the battle lines. And then we can get our first game under our belt.

Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: The VASSAL module will show you the starting setups as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.