A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: New Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would love to say that I would host a PBF, but I really don't have the PBF experience. What I do have is time, plenty of aGoT experience, and a near obsessive desire to play - which is not being fulfilled by the once-per-month games I'm playing now. So... anyone want to host a game, because I would be all over that.

Thanks,
Johnny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game is about to end, I think:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/691550/agot-pbf-winter-h...

The GM is absolutely great, and might host another one after that.
If not, it's worth to learn a thing or two from him..
He's new to this, too (I think it's only the 2nd game he's hosting, and the 1st was great too), so you don't have to have experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, I sent him a PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
It's not that difficult to moderate a game. You can also have a look at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/751687/play-by-forum , where I've written some info about how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
uptimegames.com
badge
uptimegames.com
mbmbmb
I would love to join a PBF/PBEM if you need more players.

No previous PBF/PBEM experience. A couple of 1ed games and two 2ed games played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for playing as well, though I don't have my own copy of the game. So I'm not sure if house cards are handled digitaly or if I need a set nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be in for something like that. I have the game, and some geekgold to reward a GM with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely be interested in playing. I may be willing to moderate (it would be my first time), especially if I could get a hold of whatever Kelly is using! If there is enough interest for players, I also wouldn't mind waiting until a later time to play a PBF game. This next month is tightly packed for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClownShoes wrote:
I'd be up for playing as well, though I don't have my own copy of the game. So I'm not sure if house cards are handled digitaly or if I need a set nearby.

It looks like, if the GM uses a similar method to Kelly, you can see all of the leader cards on the constantly updated board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
This pertains to my interests

Would love to join in as well! Would happily moderate also, especially if Dolus doesn't have the time (we both can't be in the same game together or else we would just be beating each other up the whole time!). devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Kelly's map is a bit different (as are the cards), since we're playing the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Starkiller wrote:
Note that Kelly's map is a bit different (as are the cards), since we're playing the 1st edition.

I have maps usable for both the 1st and 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
This pertains to my interests

Would love to join in as well! Would happily moderate also, especially if Dolus doesn't have the time (we both can't be in the same game together or else we would just be beating each other up the whole time!). devil

That won't be a problem... devil

Thank you for the head's up, Moshe. I didn't look closely enough to see that it was 1st edition. Thankfully Seli has both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are the new House Cards

http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv149/Fredrik_bucket/AGoT...

And the new Map:

(edit: here's the post that these came from: http://www.forumopolis.com/showthread.php?t=105299)

@ Christopher Mendes - would you moderate?

I think we'd have five people ready already:

1- JohnnyC (me)
2- Magnus Carlsson
(grimmymail)
3- Reginald Fogbottom
(ClownShoes)
4- (kreikkaturkulainen)
5- Travis Dean
(Dolus)

With one more we could get a full game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
uptimegames.com
badge
uptimegames.com
mbmbmb
Sounds good.

I believe that Christopher Mendes would join the game as well? As well as being moderator.
Just moderating a PBM/PBF game without participating could be quite tiresome or?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyCwtb wrote:
Here are the new House Cards

And the new Map:

(edit: here's the post that these came from: http://www.forumopolis.com/showthread.php?t=105299)

@ Christopher Mendes - would you moderate?

I think we'd have five people ready already:

1- JohnnyC (me)
2- Magnus Carlsson
(grimmymail)
3- Reginald Fogbottom
(ClownShoes)
4- (kreikkaturkulainen)
5- Travis Dean
(Dolus)

With one more we could get a full game

Awesome! Yeah, I'll happily moderate.

Some questions for you guys:

1) Do you guys want private discussions allowed? I.e., can you Geekmail each other to make promises, discus strategy, etc., or should all conversations occur here in the thread?

2) Do you guys want to run the game through the weekend? I would generally prefer not to do it during the weekend as I like to get off the computer for a couple of days but I am fine hopping on for a little bit too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so everyone knows, I've only played one game before. It was 3 player, on the 2nd edition. We didn't use the tides of battle cards.

I've studied the rules a decent ammount though, so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably check in a couple times over the weekend, but I can't always commit to frequent checking in so if no progress gets made over the weekend it's fine by me.

I'll let someone else make the call on the private discussions though. I don't forsee making a lot of use of secret alliances, but I don't see the harm in allowing private discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
grimmymail wrote:
Sounds good.

I believe that Christopher Mendes would join the game as well? As well as being moderator.
Just moderating a PBM/PBF game without participating could be quite tiresome or?

That could certainly work if for battles that I am in, both people send their selection of which card to use to an unbias third party. I think it may slow the game down a bit though. I'll hop in if we need a 6th!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
grimmymail wrote:
Sounds good.

That could certainly work if for battles that I am in, both people send their selection of which card to use to an unbias third party. I think it may slow the game down a bit though. I'll hop in if we need a 6th!

For pace I think what's good is checking at least once daily on weekdays, and letting people know ahead of time if there are plans to have limited availability. I don't think weekends should be mandatory, but as we're on and willing/able to post on them, we may as well.

As far as Chris playing as well, would you be fine if we agreed to send battle commands and such in the message of a private PM, giving away no information in the title of the message? Can we trust you to not peek at the PM until after you've made your selection? I'm willing to trust you, but if you think we need a third party for your battles, we could just send them to another player. I wouldn't mind be the "third-party" when I'm not battling you, if we take that route, but it would probably be best selected based on who's what player. i.e. if you're Stark, the Tyrell or Martell player should probably be it.

I think trusting you should suffice, though. Especially seeing as we already have to trust you for placing orders to not peeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Secret talking. I'm fine either way, I'd like to allow it on forum as long as it doesn't drag the game. It'd be kinda nice to say "Hey Reginald, can you support me against Chris?" without Chris reading what I'm saying and playing a +2 defense token there. But I'd be fine either way. If Chris mods and plays, it'll probably be best to not have secret discussion because he'll already have a ton of PMs for just the game itself.

So thinking along those lines, I would say I'm against it if our moderator plays, for it if we have a 6th player and a separate moderator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with the honor system PMing to Chris as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
uptimegames.com
badge
uptimegames.com
mbmbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
grimmymail wrote:
Sounds good.

I actually would prefer if you joined the game. Then we don't depend on an external part. And I think you would find it much easier to do the work!

For the "trust" issue I would say that battles are the small part if you moderate a game. I say that if you feel comfortable with playing and moderating, let's go!

dolus wrote:

So thinking along those lines, I would say I'm against it if our moderator plays, for it if we have a 6th player and a separate moderator.

+1 on this opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Carlsson
Sweden
Vikingstad
flag msg tools
uptimegames.com
badge
uptimegames.com
mbmbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
2) Do you guys want to run the game through the weekend? I would generally prefer not to do it during the weekend as I like to get off the computer for a couple of days but I am fine hopping on for a little bit too.

We are already in different time zones (Sweden/Finland/US) by the looks of our flags. And I don't believe we can force anyone to find a computer all the time.

So I say that we go ahead and see how it goes. If someone knows that there will be a 48h gap, a notice on the forum would be nice.

Christopher: GeekMail or regular mail for the game correspondence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
If Christopher can mod and play at the same time, that's great, I'd say we have our six.

I think checking in once per day (more if you can!) sounds fine. I also tend to avoid the computer on weekends, so I wouldn't plan on it weekends being "mandatory" - but we end up moving the game forward on weekends all the better.

As a lot of us are either new to PBF/PBEM or to the game I imagine we call all be patient with waiting for posts/rules questions.

So it's my understanding that we have:

1- JohnnyC (me)
2- Magnus Carlsson
(grimmymail)
3- Reginald Fogbottom
(ClownShoes)
4- (kreikkaturkulainen)
5- Travis Dean
(Dolus)
Mod/6 - Christopher Mendes
(1awesomeguy)

I'm ready when you guys are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.