21 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: is this game good for 2players only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Bronzel
Poland
flag msg tools
I mostly playing only with my wife. Sometimes more ppl. But generaly i would like to know is this game as good for 2 players as for more (i heard 4 is perfect for this game). Would like to hear your opinions guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigma Nil
Norway
flag msg tools
Me and my girlfriend also mostly play 2-player, and we love this game. It is different with two players than with a lot of players, but still good. Just... different. (And faster! ;-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of my plays have been 2 player. It works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The majority of my plays have been 2 player. It works very well.

I agree. It becomes more of a chess match in that you have to make adjustments to not be caught off-guard if your opponent pushes into you. I still think it plays very well and I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dalesandry
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

I agree. It becomes more of a chess match in that you have to make adjustments to not be caught off-guard if your opponent pushes into you. I still think it plays very well and I enjoy it.

Another thing that makes the 2 player game very different is that there are fewer technologies seen all game, so unlike a 5 or 6 player game where you are almost always going to have a shot at getting a certain tech you want, 2 player games play out very differently depending on what techs become available. I think this gives the 2 player version added variety and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Bronzel
Poland
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers guys. I gues i had to buy this game finally. Resitance is futile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played exclusively 2-player so far, with my wife. It is a lot of fun. Well worth the money, I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two 2-player games last week. They played out VERY differently. In one game, I won in round 7 as I blitzed my opponents systems and caught her off guard. In the next game (two days later) I won without ever even really threatening and built monoliths instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games have been 2 player. The game will have different, but works really well still.

1. No diplomacy
2. Two aliens races aren't recommended (Planta and can't remember the other)
3. Most of our two player games see less player vs player combat
4. There is a less frantic race to get the techs before someone else buys the one you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a 2-player game of Eclipse last saturday. It's a brilliant game to play with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Bronzel
Poland
flag msg tools
I read a rules a bit. If all says here that they are playing 2player with wifes it have to be good then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
I play most of my games 2-player and I'll have to join the chorus of people who thinks it plays well.

Some things I find different:
* No diplomacy
* Control of the center is very important, even more so than in >2 player, I'd say. Since there's only one other player trying to grab it, it's easier to achieve, though.
* Not as much watching your flanks because there's only one opponent and less maneuvering space, wormhole generators aren't as strong. This also makes starbases stronger than in >2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I only played 2p once. I liked it but it wasn't as good as 3-4p. Then again I was playing against someone who wasn't really a board game fanatic. Still, I think 4p is optimal for this game for a number of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
BroLuk wrote:
I mostly playing only with my wife. Sometimes more ppl. But generaly i would like to know is this game as good for 2 players as for more (i heard 4 is perfect for this game). Would like to hear your opinions guys.

Only 3 games so far, two two player one three player. Can't say my experiences are typical, yet. Have won all three while convinced that I had certainly lost two of them.

Opportunities to gain particular tech is, as is being said, Much easier in a two player game; the limit of choices does direct strategy and flavor of the game. I found the three player dead irritating for watching 'good' techs plucked up right and left by my opponents. On the other hand, the lack of power sources in both two player games cramped ship developments. Other differences escape me at them moment . . .

Short answer, I enjoyed the two player games, but it seems the designers haven't concentrated much on the less than multi-player package.* House rules may be in order. Check out the 'warp-space' variant, for instance.

*Caylus, by way of contrast, has at least one feature that favors a two player, the 'Gate' action . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
red black wrote:
I have my doubts and haven't yet broken the shrink wrap.

don't be shy, give it a try

Or sell it on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a game with a diplomatic aspect. Remove players until you have 2. Now, the game is no longer diplomatic but zero sum (ie, my gain of points is the same as you losing points).

So yeah, 2 player is going to be different, but I'm glad there's the option. Also, a great way to teach people how to play and to be on their guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are folks playing 2 player with each player starting either side of the Galactic Center or some sort of triangular set-up? I saw some posts suggesting the 3 player set-up without the 3rd player. I like the idea of the other player being somewhat able to come and visit without going through Galactic Center. But then, it is theoretical, as Eclipse is on pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't let either be the Planta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 players is fun as well, if you can live with situations, where two go against you. In this case you need to be very careful when to conquer the center and how to proceed afterwards. I strongly suggest to stop expansion on the center, fortify it and then make sneak attacks on both which keeps them busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I found 2p games enjoyable, I still prefer playing with 3 or ideally 4+ players. A third player adds some components of checking for the leader and making life harder on him while 4+ players allow more intricate diplomacy with ambassadors and alliances.

So while the game is solid with 2 players I would probably miss the added interaction, scheming, plotting, intrigue and negotiation that come in with larger player numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.