Popular Tags: [View All]
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was toying around with a single player variant and came up with the following. I only tried it once and it worked well on my play-test. There are some buildings that likely need to have alternate uses (Sappers and Chapel, for example). As I don't get a lot of opportunity to play solo games, I thought I would post this and see if others can provide feedback.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

SETUP
*) Setup the game the same as stated in the rule book as if there are two players. Make sure a neutral player score token is placed on the score track. It is not necessary to give the neutral player any War General tokens. The human player will always be the starting player and King's Favored player.

PLAYING THE GAME
*) Playing the game is similar to a two player game with the following exceptions.

SELECTION PHASE: TWO PLAYER SELECTION
*) After dividing the piles, decide which pile will be given to the human player if a Friendly Cube is randomly pulled from the Unit Bag. Put that pile on the left. The other pile will be given to the human player when an Enemy Unit cube is randomly pulled.
*) Give the neutral player 1 point for each item that the largest pile has compared to the smallest pile. For example, if one pile has 8 items and the other as 4 items, the neutral player scores 4 points. If the piles were equal, give the opposing player 1 point instead of 0 points. Finally, give the Neutral Player 1 more point.
*) Draw a random cube from the Units Bag.
*) If the cube is a Friendly Unit (Knight, Archer, Trebuchet), the human player gets the left pile and the other pile is set on a barony selected to represent the Neutral Player.
*) If the cube is an Enemy Unit (Dragon, Orc, Battering Ram), the human player gets the right pile and the other pile is set on a barony selected to represent the Neutral Player.
*) Return the random cube to the Units Bag.

DEPLOYMENT PHASE
*) Play normally including placing Friendly Units on the Neutral Players Keep and Enemy Units on the Mountain Pass.

SPECIAL EVENTS PHASE
*) Play normally except discard the Neutral Player's special cards without activating them.

ACTION PHASE
*) Play normally except the Neutral Player does not take any action. Discard the Neutral Player's remaining cards without activating them.

ADVANCE ENEMIES PHASE
*) Play normally except the Neutral Player's Enemy Units do not advance. Then do the following steps.
*) Check to see if there is an Archer and a Dragon in the Neutral Player's barony. If there are, place those two cubes back into the Units Bag and move the Neutral Player's score marker up by 2. Repeat until there are no more Archers.
*) Check to see if there is a Knight and an Orc in the Neutral Player's barony. If there are, place those two cubes back into the Units Bag and move the Neutral Player's score marker up by 2. Repeat until there are no more Knights.
*) Check to see if there is a Trebuchet and a Battering Ram in the Neutral Player's barony. If there are, place those two cubes back into the Units Bag and move the Neutral Player's score marker up by 2. Repeat until there are no more Trebuchets.

CHANGE ACTIVE PLAYERS
*) Play normally except the King's Favored tile does not move.

END GAME
*) Play normally except the Neutral Player automatically wins any ties.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - Feb 13, 2012 - Increased Archer/Dragon, Knight/Orc, Treb/Ram pair scoring from 1 to 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I played a second Solo game and think the scoring for the neutral player's unit pairs needs to be higher. This should make the game a bit tougher.

Edits were made directly in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played once using this variant with the +1 Scoring for pairs. Lost 30-26, but found a ton of errors in my play. Going to play a couple of more times with +2 Scoring for Neutral player Pairs and I will write up some feedback for you. But in General I think it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3dragonfly wrote:
*) After dividing the piles, decide which pile will be given to the human player if a Friendly Cube is randomly pulled from the Unit Bag. Put that pile on the left. The other pile will be given to the human player when an Enemy Unit cube is randomly pulled.

Is this part different from two steps below? I assume it's just redundant, especially since you refer to "left" and "right" piles here as well as below, but the rest of the instructions in this step don't.

Quote:
*) Check to see if there is an Archer and a Dragon in the Neutral Player's barony. If there are, place those two cubes back into the Units Bag and move the Neutral Player's score marker up by 2. Repeat until there are no more Archers.

What if the numbers aren't equal? Do the excess just remain?

Example: after removing each respective pair, the NP has 2 Archers and a Trebuchet for friendly units and two Orcs for enemies. What happens then?

--ElSoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSoyokaze wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:

Is this part different from two steps below? I assume it's just redundant, especially since you refer to "left" and "right" piles here as well as below, but the rest of the instructions in this step don't.

I have them place the piles in specific spots to reduce confusion (left/right). I explain the meaning of left and right at this point so players know why they are putting one to the left or right. I repeat the Friendly/Left and Enemy/Right in the later step so they don't have to reference above, they are clearly given the instruction to follow. I am not saying this is the best method, just what I did.

ElSoyokaze wrote:

Quote:

What if the numbers aren't equal? Do the excess just remain?

Example: after removing each respective pair, the NP has 2 Archers and a Trebuchet for friendly units and two Orcs for enemies. What happens then?

The non-paired units remain until later units can pair with them. This creates changing pools of units for the Loyalty Change (and Lure*) card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not received the game yet but I was wondering if this game might play well solo as a "State of Seige" type game. The accumulation of points would be abandoned as you need to defend the four territories. If an enemy unit reaches the end square, then that territory is conquered and you defend the remaining three and so on. The point track would serve as a turn track and if you manage to hold on to at least one of the territories by the end of the game, you win. Once I get the game I can check this concept out but those who already have it, might already know if it is a good idea or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.