United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More pics here.

The BBC wrote:
Scientists have discovered a further two species of colourful deep-sea dwelling worms. This image shows the bright yellow kidneys and purple mouth of the transparent "shining bomber" (Swima fulgida), discovered off the coast of California, US. The findings are published in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society.

Dr Karen Osborn and colleagues from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography and Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute suggest that the black area of the shining bomber's gut - just behind its head - could help to hide the transparent worm's glowing prey while it is consuming them.

Swima worms can measure up to 3cm (1.2 inches) long and use fan-like bristles to swim through the water at depths of more than 2,700 metres. They are also bioluminescent: producing light in the gloomy depths of the ocean through a chemical reaction in their bodies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
J.B.S. Haldane wrote:
It is my supposition that the Universe in not only queerer than we imagine, is queerer than we can imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
"shining bomber" (Swima fulgida)

Hey, that's the name of my motorcycle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
robigo wrote:
J.B.S. Haldane wrote:
It is my supposition that the Universe in not only queerer than we imagine, is queerer than we can imagine.

Add sententience to that creppy-ass photo and you have man's first contact with intelligent life. Which, in our revulsion and xenophobia we procede to exterminate for being giant stinking space roaches. And not feel guilty in the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.