Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Magic The Gathering used a color scheme while making their game, where the colors represented various kinds of strategies based on associations with their color. (Black as death for an example.)

Now, they only used 5 colors, so my question is what would you associate card wise, and strategy wise for all of the colors of the rainbow? (Including those that MTG used.)

Type your response next to the words and post! I'm interested to see what people have to say!

Red:

Orange:

Yellow:

Green:

Blue:

Indigo:

Violet:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red: Lipstick

Orange: Citrus Fruits

Yellow: Cowardness

Green: Envy

Blue: Sadness

Indigo: Fencing

Violet: Chewing Gum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
thechairman wrote:
Red: Lipstick

Orange: Citrus Fruits

Yellow: Cowardness

Green: Envy

Blue: Sadness

Indigo: Fencing

Violet: Chewing Gum

... But how does that work into a card game design lol? The Yellow I can almost see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red: Warfare
Orange: Fire
Yellow: Sun(light)
Green: Growth
Blue: Water
Indigo: Computers
Violet: Royalty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
EitherOrlok wrote:
Red: Warfare
Orange: Fire
Yellow: Sun(light)
Green: Growth
Blue: Water
Indigo: Computers
Violet: Royalty

Computers with Indigo? I'm curious as to how you got that one. Orange with fire and Red with fire is debatable whom you would give it to (in my opinion) I almost see Orange as fire, but more like the sunlight. (But that's just me.) What kind of effects would you give each card based on these colors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does indigo really belong in the set of primary (and secondary) colors? Newton probably added it to pad the total number of colors in the spectrum up to seven. devil

I prefer the name "royal blue," in deference to Union Pacific. I have a house rule that nobody is allowed to call the royal blue trains "indigo," though I haven't yet decided on the appropriate penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
robigo wrote:
Does indigo really belong in the set of primary (and secondary) colors? Newton probably added it to pad the total number of colors in the spectrum up to seven. devil

I prefer the name "royal blue," in deference to Union Pacific. I have a house rule that nobody is allowed to call the royal blue trains "indigo," though I haven't yet decided on the appropriate penalty.

Yes, there is a good chance Indigo was a pad, but it leaves open the ability to explore psychic powers in a game. (The term Indigo Child ans such.)

And I suggest they must buy Pizza for all those playing lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willifred wrote:
Magic The Gathering used a color scheme while making their game, where the colors represented various kinds of strategies based on associations with their color. (Black as death for an example.)

Now, they only used 5 colors, so my question is what would you associate card wise, and strategy wise for all of the colors of the rainbow? (Including those that MTG used.)

Type your response next to the words and post! I'm interested to see what people have to say!

Red:

Orange:

Yellow:

Green:

Blue:

Indigo:

Violet:

I like the scheme Brent Weeks used in the book The Black Prism
Superviolet
Made of wavelengths shorter than most human eyes can see, superviolet luxin is invisible except to superviolet drafters--and those only when they concentrate. Solid, but not as strong as blue or green, superviolet is the subtlest luxin. Used for cryptography, creating invisible walls and traps, and marking targets on the battlefield, superviolets tend to have a removed outlook. They appreciate irony and sarcasm and are sometimes cold.

Blue
Blue Luxin is hard, strong, and smooth. It can be used in anything from the creation of large structures to armor or bladed weapons or projectiles. Blues are orderly, inquisitive, and unfailingly rational. Structure, rules, and hierarchy are important to blues.

Green
Green Luxin is springy and flexible. The uses are as varied as the drafter is creative: from furniture to projectiles to shields to the throwing arms of war engines. Greens are wild and free. They don't so much disrespect authority as not even recognize it.

Yellow
Yellow Luxin is most often a liquid that releases its energy back into light quickly, allowing its use as a torch or a trigger to ignite flammable materials or explosives. Yellow nourishes other luxins, extending the durability of luxin structures or tools. Like water turning to ice, when yellow is drafted perfectly, it loses its liquidity and becomes the hardest luxin of all. Yellows tend to be clear thinkers, intellect and emotion in perfect balance.

Orange
Orange luxin is slick, lubricative, and heavy. It is often used in conjunction with machines and traps. Oranges are often artists, brilliant in understanding other people’s emotions and motivations. Some use this to defy or exceed expectations. Others become master manipulators.

Red
Red Luxin is sticky, gooey, and extremely flammable. Reds often work with sub-reds or with mundane tools to make bombs. Their skills are used to catastrophic effect in war. Reds are quick tempered, impulsive, lusty, and love destruction.

Sub-Red
Sub-Reds can see in the dark, draft the heat from their surroundings to survive intense heat, and create flame crystals which turn into fire when exposed to air. Sub-reds are passionate in all ways, the most purely emotional of all the drafters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willifred wrote:
Computers with Indigo? I'm curious as to how you got that one.

Electric Indigo is a color used for simulation of light in computer graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Willifred wrote:

Red:Rage

Orange:Avarice

Yellow: Fear

Green: Will

Blue: Hope

Indigo:Compassion

Violet:Lust

Beware my power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red: Red is the color of aggression and dominance. Red cards are easily your most powerful weapons, but once unleashed on the battlefield it is easy to lose control of them. Red cards are mostly attack spells that unleash terrible destruction or sickness on the battlefield. Red minions often have destructive abilities and you rarely want to use them in groups. Red soldiers are powerful, but highly aggressive, and especially dangerous to any neutral units on the battlefield.

Orange: This is the color vitality, vigor, and good health. This is used to provide protective powers to your soldiers, to embolden them with temporary skills, to encourage the recruitment and reproduction of new soldiers/minions. When used offensively, it can be used to weaken enemy minions, or prevent them from using their abilities.

Yellow:This is the color of awakening, intelligence, and shared action. Yellow cards help you to draw more cards, discard cards for interesting effects, give energy to nearby soldiers, and become more powerful with each other yellow card brought in play. Yellow cards typically help aid, defend, and increase the neutral units in the battlefield.

Green: Green is the color of harmony, balance, and mental health. It can be used to remove fear, confusion, and similar status effects that may distract you or your soldiers. Green minions provide morale bonuses to nearby soldiers and green spells are more difficult to counter. Green soldiers can temporarily gain aid from neutral units.

Blue: Blue is an astral color of spiritual energy and crisis of faith. It can be used to provide fear, confusion, and other status effects on enemy soldiers. It can also be used to convert enemies or neutral units into allies, or played on your own minions to transform some of their abilities into others. You can also discard most blue cards from your hand to replenish health in your soldiers or provide minions with temporary bonuses. Blue soldiers have a unique capture mechanic, allowing them to remove neutral units from the battlefield so that they can later only be effected by you (but not by the enemy).

Indigo: This is the color of insight, perception, and the piercing of the veil. Indigo minions are capable of extracting information from enemy soldiers, and indigo soldiers can detect invisible minions and prevent ambushes. Indigo spells are frequently used to reveal future cards from your deck or the opponents, or to see your opponents hand. When used offensively, Indigo spells can sometimes be used to manipulate the future, by messing with the cards in your opponents deck. Indigo minions typically allow you to draw bonus cards when their morale is high.

Violet: This is the color of psychic attunement and is adept at invisibility, ambushes, and the sudden deep strikes into enemy territory. Violet soldiers become more powerful with each minion on the field, regardless of whose minions they are. Violet minions are ethereal beings that are difficult to kill but can only interact on the battlefield indirectly with special abilities. The loss of violet minions can have terrible consequences, and can result in the death of soldiers and loss of cards. Violet soldiers and minions frequently require you to "invest" psychic energy by temporarily placing down cards from your hand to activate special abilities. Some violet minions can prey on the psychic energies of neutral units as additional resources to cast spells and recruit soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
Red: Red is the color of aggression and dominance. Red cards are easily your most powerful weapons, but once unleashed on the battlefield it is easy to lose control of them. Red cards are mostly attack spells that unleash terrible destruction or sickness on the battlefield. Red minions often have destructive abilities and you rarely want to use them in groups. Red soldiers are powerful, but highly aggressive, and especially dangerous to any neutral units on the battlefield.

Orange: This is the color vitality, vigor, and good health. This is used to provide protective powers to your soldiers, to embolden them with temporary skills, to encourage the recruitment and reproduction of new soldiers/minions. When used offensively, it can be used to weaken enemy minions, or prevent them from using their abilities.

Yellow:This is the color of awakening, intelligence, and shared action. Yellow cards help you to draw more cards, discard cards for interesting effects, give energy to nearby soldiers, and become more powerful with each other yellow card brought in play. Yellow cards typically help aid, defend, and increase the neutral units in the battlefield.

Green: Green is the color of harmony, balance, and mental health. It can be used to remove fear, confusion, and similar status effects that may distract you or your soldiers. Green minions provide morale bonuses to nearby soldiers and green spells are more difficult to counter. Green soldiers can temporarily gain aid from neutral units.

Blue: Blue is an astral color of spiritual energy and crisis of faith. It can be used to provide fear, confusion, and other status effects on enemy soldiers. It can also be used to convert enemies or neutral units into allies, or played on your own minions to transform some of their abilities into others. You can also discard most blue cards from your hand to replenish health in your soldiers or provide minions with temporary bonuses. Blue soldiers have a unique capture mechanic, allowing them to remove neutral units from the battlefield so that they can later only be effected by you (but not by the enemy).

Indigo: This is the color of insight, perception, and the piercing of the veil. Indigo minions are capable of extracting information from enemy soldiers, and indigo soldiers can detect invisible minions and prevent ambushes. Indigo spells are frequently used to reveal future cards from your deck or the opponents, or to see your opponents hand. When used offensively, Indigo spells can sometimes be used to manipulate the future, by messing with the cards in your opponents deck. Indigo minions typically allow you to draw bonus cards when their morale is high.

Violet: This is the color of psychic attunement and is adept at invisibility, ambushes, and the sudden deep strikes into enemy territory. Violet soldiers become more powerful with each minion on the field, regardless of whose minions they are. Violet minions are ethereal beings that are difficult to kill but can only interact on the battlefield indirectly with special abilities. The loss of violet minions can have terrible consequences, and can result in the death of soldiers and loss of cards. Violet soldiers and minions frequently require you to "invest" psychic energy by temporarily placing down cards from your hand to activate special abilities. Some violet minions can prey on the psychic energies of neutral units as additional resources to cast spells and recruit soldiers.

Did you come up with that by yourself? That is MIND BLOWING! Absolutely amazing deduction of colors! Marvelous... I don't have words to describe how well though out that was!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willifred wrote:
Did you come up with that by yourself? That is MIND BLOWING! Absolutely amazing deduction of colors! Marvelous... I don't have words to describe how well though out that was!

Thanks. The colors are based on "aura colors" in traditional western mysticism.

The game details just got naturally fleshed out as I added an effect for each color, and then had to go back to the previous colors to see how that color would interact with the new game detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
Willifred wrote:

Thanks. The colors are based on "aura colors" in traditional western mysticism.

The game details just got naturally fleshed out as I added an effect for each color, and then had to go back to the previous colors to see how that color would interact with the new game detail.

Man, you have a GREAT thought process behind that thinking. Make one color, see how the other reacts, then the other. It worked GREAT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
jaynova wrote:
Willifred wrote:

Red:Rage

Orange:Avarice

Yellow: Fear

Green: Will

Blue: Hope

Indigo:Compassion

Violet:Lust

Beware my power.

Power?

Now explain WHY you used those colors! Some didn't make much sense to me, but maybe you have a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Metalics & Shades expansion:

Silver - This is the color of abundance and wealth. Silver spells tend to harvest resources from other things, such as your own minions or neutral units. Silver minions allow you to frequently transform one type of resource into another, whenever a particular condition is met. Silver soldiers gain morale and silver minions gain abilities based on how many resources you have saved up.

Gold - This is the color of divine protection. Gold soldiers can be expensive but are hard to defeat in a straight fight, since most gold soldiers can mitigate damage by applying some other harmful effect such as lost cards, redirected damage, or lost morale. Gold minions typically protect soldiers and neutral units, and become more powerful as they take damage and protect others. Gold spells involve protection from damage, or the redirection of status effects. Most gold spells become more effective based on how many minions are on the battlefield, but gold minions are rarely offensive in nature.

Black - The color of transformation and absorption. Black minions become more powerful around wounded soldiers and harmful status effects, and black spells tend to require a special resource that is increased as your soldiers die or spells are played against you. Black tends to specialize in cheap soldiers and powerful minions, which grow in power over the course of the game.

White - the color of reflection and retribution. More than most other colors, white is heavily dependent on morale, and their spells become more effective when played on high-morale soldiers. White minions tend to have abilities that prevent harmful status effects or redirct damage to enemy minions. The abilities of white minions tend to change based on the number or color of the opponent's minions. As they become defeated in combat and lose morale, white spells become less effective but require less resources to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willifred wrote:
Power?

Now explain WHY you used those colors! Some didn't make much sense to me, but maybe you have a good idea?

In DC Comics, these are the colors associated with the Rings of Power from the Lanter Corps. If you're a comic book fan, these color choices are a bit familiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
Willifred wrote:
Power?

In DC Comics, these are the colors associated with the Rings of Power from the Lanter Corps. If you're a comic book fan, these color choices are a bit familiar.

Ah! Okay, that makes more sense then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
And the Metalics & Shades expansion:

Silver - This is the color of abundance and wealth. Silver spells tend to harvest resources from other things, such as your own minions or neutral units. Silver minions allow you to frequently transform one type of resource into another, whenever a particular condition is met. Silver soldiers gain morale and silver minions gain abilities based on how many resources you have saved up.

Gold - This is the color of divine protection. Gold soldiers can be expensive but are hard to defeat in a straight fight, since most gold soldiers can mitigate damage by applying some other harmful effect such as lost cards, redirected damage, or lost morale. Gold minions typically protect soldiers and neutral units, and become more powerful as they take damage and protect others. Gold spells involve protection from damage, or the redirection of status effects. Most gold spells become more effective based on how many minions are on the battlefield, but gold minions are rarely offensive in nature.

Black - The color of transformation and absorption. Black minions become more powerful around wounded soldiers and harmful status effects, and black spells tend to require a special resource that is increased as your soldiers die or spells are played against you. Black tends to specialize in cheap soldiers and powerful minions, which grow in power over the course of the game.

White - the color of reflection and retribution. More than most other colors, white is heavily dependent on morale, and their spells become more effective when played on high-morale soldiers. White minions tend to have abilities that prevent harmful status effects or redirct damage to enemy minions. The abilities of white minions tend to change based on the number or color of the opponent's minions. As they become defeated in combat and lose morale, white spells become less effective but require less resources to use.

An expansion even! That is really impressive. Shades and Metalics would be a could add on to the colors; a game with over 11 colors may be heard for deck building though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Willifred wrote:
Power?

Talking about comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite#Forms_of_Kryptonite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.