Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never ordered from GameSurplus until recently, but had read plenty about Thor's excellent customer service here on BGG. After a successful recent Math Trade, I was able to secure several gift certificates and since GameSurplus had a couple of games I'd been hunting and was having a hard time finding or trading for, I put together an order, included Animal Upon Animal: Balancing Bridge to receive free shipping, and emailed Thor about how best to apply multiple GC's to a single order and how to make sure the games I wanted wouldn't walk out the door while I waited for the rest of my GC's to arrive. You see, I was still tying up the MT's and the certificates were arriving separately, either being purchased with the codes emailed to me or just gifted directly to me via Thor.

Thor emailed me the next day and suggested placing the order and choosing the "pay with check" option. He could then hold the items for me while awaiting payment, thus making sure none of them sold to anyone else, AND graciously allowed me to simply email him with the codes once all my GC's arrived. Very cool and very clever!

Within another few days, I had all my gift certificate codes and emailed them to Thor. My order total had come to $106.99 and my GC's totaled $105. I asked him if I could just send PayPal for the remaining $1.99. He quickly emailed me back and told me not to worry about it! Granted, a couple of bucks isn't a big deal, but I've never done business with Thor before, this wasn't based on inside information or a history of orders with him or anything like that. This was simply a favor extended to a customer "just because".

My first thought was, "BGG needs to know about this." So I waited for the order to arrive and it showed up in a timely fashion. Add another point to the "cool" factor: Thor custom-made his own box! All the games were well-packaged, arrived in fantastic shape and showed up in less than a week! Competitive prices, hard-to-find games and top notch customer service. I plan on becoming a regular customer with GameSurplus, and while I wish Thor offered a FREE SHIPPING threshold, the incredible service I've experienced will be more than enough for me to toss in a "comes with free shipping" game into future orders, even if it's not on my want list. Great service from a great guy running a great company. Now, if there was only a microbadge available... ninja

For those who are interested, here's my order:

Animal Upon Animal: Balancing Bridge
Artus
Safranito
Coloretto Amazonas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. I haven't used this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dallas
Pennsylvania
msg tools
I lifted my piece of summer, like a piece of a memory or a dream..
mbmbmb
Agreed, Thor is the man. I picked up a few Amigo small box games from him recently. He let me know that since the package was so light, it'd be cheaper to go USPS if I wanted to. After I responded that USPS was good, he refunded me the difference.

I will definitely be ordering from GameSurplus again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thor knows how to run a business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll start looking into GameSurplus now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually get a few orders in with them every year and have never been disappointed. They made my top 10 list of online retailers.

My Top Ten On-line Retailers by buy-buy bucks $$$ bye-bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
If I order from Thor by 5 pm, I'll have hot, fresh games delivered the next day.

He takes customer service to the next level.

And, you will love Safranito. I picked that up from Thor a while back and we play all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric chang
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had good customer service by him as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
If I order from Thor by 5 pm, I'll have hot, fresh games delivered the next day.

He takes customer service to the next level.

And, you will love Safranito. I picked that up from Thor a while back and we play all the time.

The games arrived Friday and I told my wife that Safranito was a potential birthday present, but I wasn't sure if it would be a huge hit and therefore "gave" it to her now just for fun and decided not to include it with her birthday stuff next month. I had to leave Friday afternoon and didn't get home until Sunday.

So, Sunday night rolls around and I opened it up for her while she was feeding our youngest and read through the rules (to myself, she's a visual learner). We were both tired and so I just shelved it after going through the contents and checking things out.

Next day, after coming home from taking kids to school, I find that my wife has set up the game on the table ready to play. "Well, if you insist." We played two games and had a blast, but after her second defeat to my lucky card draws and her unlucky spice blend matches, she was becoming a sore loser and visibly frustrated.

Still, this one is a definite hit with the Mrs. and I've once again honed my buy-my-wife-a-game-I'll-like-and-she'll-play skills. (Yes, I adhere to a very strict training regimen.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Thor is a god.

I've always had great experiences working with him and highly recommend him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lingwei ko
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
This is not the clue you are looking for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been using Boards n Bits for my last few orders, who have been beyond awesome, but having to pay sales tax makes me a somewhat sad panda. Might give GameSurplus a try for my next order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thor sent off another box of imports to me yesterday morning - he is everything you want from an OLGS - great selection, great prices, quick responses to questions, and excellent service.

Between him and Tom at B&B, I have little reason to shop anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I haven't used this one.

Use it. Thor dominates. Must be that hammer. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.