Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs. Persians» Forums » General

Subject: Special Traits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Any info on the design intentions behind the new traits?

As I see it, this is where the real personality of each army comes to be, are there any news on which will make an appearance in this upcoming title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the personality of an army is something about traits, but army composition (traits are just a part) and aesthetic criteria.

Of course, this is my interpretation.

In fact, I would buy new sets without new traits, since the armies could be quite different anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
CATAFRACTO wrote:
I don't think the personality of an army is something about traits, but army composition (traits are just a part) and aesthetic criteria.

I agree; the composition of the armies is at least as important as the unique traits a few troops in the army have. I could see the new set having a few new traits, but I think it will mostly reuse existing traits in new ways. Orcs vs Elves only added half a dozen new traits to the mix.

Just think about what sets the current armies apart. The Romans are primarily melee backed up by artillery. The orcs are very melee-oriented, overwhelming their enemy with hordes of troops with a potential for massive damage. Elves are very good at shooting, with several specialty troops and fragile melee troops. Celts seem to be pretty generalist, with many troop types that have both engagement and shooting dice. These armies would be pretty different from each other even if you didn't count the traits that are unique to only that army.

Edit:
In the troop preview image there is only one new trait shown, on the Persian Sparabara unit. The rest are all existing traits. I'm guessing there might be a few surprises not shown in the preview image though.

Paolo, can you tell us what that new trait is, or are you under an NDA until it is released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transmuter wrote:

Paolo, can you tell us what that new trait is, or are you under an NDA until it is released?

The trait of the Sparabara (shield bearers) is "Tough". The unit with this trait can ask its opponent to reroll a single successful die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update, the April 12 news update on Z-Man Games' site details the four new traits in the set.

Z-Man Games wrote:
"First Strike": if this Unit is charged, it can roll to hit before the charging Unit.
"Prestige": if the Unit is present on the battlefield, to add its Deployment Points to the total of destroyed enemy troops when calculating victory conditions.
"Sacrifice": if this Unit is hit, you can destroy this Troop by sacrifice, therefore not placing any Wound tokens on the other Troops in the Unit.
"Tough": if this Unit is hit, you can force the opponent Unit to roll again a single die that resulted in a hit.

The new traits look pretty fun, and the old traits used in new ways should be great too. I'm excited about an auxiliary troop that has actual combat dice on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.