Subject: Gateway games for the gf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dungeon [+] gateway, [+] dominion, [+] girlfriend, [+] [View All]
Josh King
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hey guys,
I need some gateway game suggestions for my gf. I know there are a ton of threads on here about this but I would like some more ideas. I have gotten her into settlers of Catan and cities and knights and she has a lot of fun with those. I am next going to try to get her into Dominion and then some light dungeon crawlers like Munchkin quest and dungeon run. Hopefully these go well. Any other suggestions from the community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need some more information. If she's played some of these games, already, we need to know what she liked or disliked about these games.

We can recommend some general games that our girlfriends liked, but that's not very useful. The advantage of having your own recommendation thread is that our recommendations can be tailored to your specific case... but the more information, the better the results.

If you just want very general unspecific advice, I'd say hold off on Munchkin and the dungeon crawlers, and focus on lighter interactive games. I've gotten good results with Evo, Catan, The Resistance, Guillotine, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Apples to Apples, Citadels, and Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the standards:

Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride

Kingdom Builder (Not a standard yet, but maybe soon...)

Case Blue (just kidding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing what she has played, I would also recommend the following...
Catan
Candamir: The First Settlers (if you are wanting to sway her toward RPGs)
Carcassonne
Goldland
Black Sheep (If she is younger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are both very common recommendations. I'd probably hold Dominion a bit as the object of the game is a little more abstract. "I'm buying this card to improve the probability that later on I'll be able to buy a card to improve the probability that I can buy a card that I actually want?"

Personally, I'd avoid anything with the word Munchkin in it for two reasons:
1. You're going to be directly attacking each other, and a lot of girlfriends don't seem to like confrontational games.
2. They're honestly not very good games unless you just want sort of stupid mindless fun (being drunk probably helps too) rather than something with any interesting game decisions.

I'm not familiar with Dungeon Run but with a brief look it looks like it's probably a much better game than Munchkin Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing much about her likes, I'll just suggest two games:

Jaipur
Thurn and Taxis

There are lots of other great suggestions here.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is a great introductory euro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis and Jaipur are very good recommendations indeed. Take this advice. Female friendly, and just great games that you will enjoy too.

I would like to add:

Dragonheart (if she doesn't have anything against a fantasy setting)
Hive
Battleline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ott
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Stone Age tends to be a good "baby step" up from the Settlers of Catan. There are slightly more options available at any given time, and you can always pick just about any of those things at varying odds for success, so it takes a step away from chance determining your options and a step toward choosing your options based on your chances...if that makes sense...this makes the players feel more in control and not like they won or lost because of the roll of a die. Also, I feel like this makes a game more "re-playable", because players who did poorly think back on the game, wondering what mistakes they made and develop a strategy based on that for next time, thereby making it much easier to observe yourself getting better at the game...

That is my generic answer, but the others are correct: in order to really guide you further, you'll need to offer up some more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonheart is a good suggestion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh King
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks for ALL the replies guys! All of these suggestions are very interesting. Stone age looks like a great suggestion and so do a lot of other ones. We just got done playing munchkin quest with some friends and she really liked it. (Probably because she won lol) She said the only thing she didn't like was how it was kind of tedious. It was also really late when we played so that was contributing. But the good thing is she liked it and she LOVED Dominion so it looks like we are getting somewhere. Thank you so much for the suggestions and I will definitely be trying a lot of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My advice is not to be in too much of a rush to introduce new games or "push" her to heavier ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game seem fun and it also seemed simple. I don't know how fun it's in the long run but well.. zombies! ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mr
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko!!!!!

The best gateway for gf!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm!
Munchkin Quest is a fun game, with the looking for trouble expansion , it has it shortcomings, in Quest you mostly crawl around and kill monsters and use cards as your weapons my gf loves it!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
My advice is not to be in too much of a rush to introduce new games or "push" her to heavier ones.

This. I've gone through the motions of getting my fiance to play games with me, which doesn't always work out.

If you want to head in the right direction of finding a game for you both to play then you need to lean closer towards what she has liked in gaming so far. Be bold and ask her about what mechanics she enjoyed about the games she's played so far & what she hasn't enjoyed so much.

Sometimes it's better getting a game that is her (or his, depending on the non-gaming partner) choice to ease into gaming together then finding something you like that you "think" they may like. Trust me, it'll work out for the better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dawn Under was one of the first games my b/f introduced me too. along with Unnamed Object and Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely second Stone Age and would also like to encourage you to let her choose some games as well. I may well be in a lucky position with my gf, but I didn't bring Blue Moon City to the table for ages because of its fantasy type theme. When she finally opened the box to have a look, though, she exclaimed "Ooh, dragons!", and it is one of her favourites, so prepare to be surprised and don't make assumptions in advance of what she might or might not like.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend:

Citadels

This was one of our first, and we really enjoyed it.

If she likes standard card games:

500 Rum and Euchre (it's 4-players only) are great staples that I enjoy with my non-gamer family.

I second "Resistance" if you can get 5+ players together. What a blast that game is.

I also second Carcassonne from personal experience. We both enjoy it as a two player game.

Finally, I hear Ticket to Ride is often enjoyed by beginners in board gaming (I haven't played it). Anyway, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions here but here's the best one (didn't see it mentioned yet):

Finca

This is flat out fun, annoyingly (in a good way!) hard to win sometimes for such a simple game! And it's gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdom Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tryken wrote:
500 Rum and Euchre (it's 4-players only) are great staples that I enjoy with my non-gamer family.

I must take this opportunity to say that if Euchre is a game that you'll play, then you should check out Bid Euchre. After playing it, I'll never, ever go back to regular Euchre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.