BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: 3 years a lurker, enough is enough. Hello fellow geeks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been a hanger on for long enough. I found this site in 2009 when searching google to see if there was anymore to board gaming after risk. I found boardgamegeek. Fast forward 3 years since I first joined and I have many plays of new and exiting games under my belt all thanks to recommendations and reviews of fellow geeks. Now I feel I am ready to join the party and get more geeky.

• [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
cool

Embrace your inner Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome

1d20 = (5) = 5
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 103869. monkeyhandz
  • 1d20 =
  • (5) =
  • Mon Feb 6, 2012 11:42 pm
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks man, I feel that getting to a stage where i feel confident to post has taken a while for me. I studied my board gaming 101 by distance learning - it took a while, but now I feel I have graduated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, here's a shiny to get something nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheers Zeppo, I have a plan on how to spend that.

Thanks to everyone for the geek gold, but I am not in for the money, a few game recommendations would be cool though. I'm thinkIng of getting dominant species next, any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome—though you've been here much longer than I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
bluedressinggown wrote:
I've been a hanger on for long enough. I found this site in 2009 when searching google to see if there was anymore to board gaming after risk. I found boardgamegeek. Fast forward 3 years since I first joined and I have many plays of new and exiting games under my belt all thanks to recommendations and reviews of fellow geeks. Now I feel I am ready to join the party and get more geeky.

I was a lurker for 3 or so years until I finally joined in 2007. It felt like a big jump at the time, like I was really throwing myself out there for the whole world to see.

I can talk comfortably in front of large crowds, on short notice if need be. But socializing on line seems a whole lot different and in some ways more challenging for some of us (or just me?).

Welcome aboard! It should be interesting for you to see how you carve out your niche on BGG after a couple years of contributing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I felt as though I needed to lurk in order to learn so that when I did contribute it would be from a more informed position, not only in terms of my understanding of board games but also the geek.

Interestingly over the time I lurked my use of the geek changed; at first it was all about the geek lists, then the game reviews, now the forums and individual user comments and game reviews are where I spend the most time.

A feel a new contributor now has to work hard to develop a niche as almost all areas of the geek have a number of fellow geeks whose specialization in those areas provide excellent content.

My interest is in the reviews, especially those formed after a number of plays. To contribute in this way is my goal at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get that man an avatar STAT!

WELCOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Get that man an avatar STAT!

WELCOME!

You heard him Jonathan. On the double!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. Nice to see you've already started rating and commenting on games in your collection. It's a nice way to let people know what you enjoy. But of course you shouldn't feel any hesitation about joining the larger conversation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
mbmbmbmbmb
Another visitor...stay awhile...STAY FOREVER!goo

(Read in "Impossible Mission" C64 video game voice...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Some great games in your collection. If you can handle Agricola and Le Havre, and enjoy them, I think Dominant Species will be a hit. It's quite different to those two, but whilst the mechanics are simple, playing it well is tough, but very enjoyable at he same time. Probably our hot game at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Something tells me you should try Leonardo da Vinci, In the Year of the Dragon, Notre Dame, and Puerto Rico (the last three being Alea games, most of which are really good).

Your rating are similar enough to my own tastes that you just might like my absolute favorite game too - Tigris & Euphrates.

Edit: We're looking forward to a nice shiny new avatar, and maybe a microbadge or two... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to everyone for the geek gold that allowed me to buy my avatar. While not the most original choice given my user name, it's the most practical in terms of comfort. Now I will endeavour to bring my own style, sartorial and otherwise, to the geek. Cheers folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. I like the Avatar.

You mentioned suggestions, so here's one: The Resistance

Doesn't seem to be the sort of thing in your collection (yet) and it won't work if your group is small. We love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestion Beloch, unfortunately I only game with 2-3 other people regularly. I also only get 1-2 new games a year, i'm a reluctant purchaser with most of my time on the geek was spent researching these purchases.

I guess I enjoy the thrill of the chase.

On my radar at the moment in addition to DS are The Great Zimbabwe when it is released, Vinhos, and Urban Sprawl. I have played Puerto Rico and it is a great game however one of my friends has it so I don't have the urge to purchase. For a game to get in to my collection it not only needs to offer a new experience but also have the special something that makes you want to play it again and again. I am starting to find that the games which present interesting decisions and mechanics that allow space for a more open style of play appealing e.g Greed Incorporated and Indonesia. Splotter aren't the only publishers doing this are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluedressinggown wrote:

Hai and welcome Looking forward getting to know ya a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard. I also spent a year or two as a lurker before joining, though that was a good while back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I saw you peeking in the windows. Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Child
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I had my nose right up on that window, funny thing is I now feel like a kid in a sweetshop, faced with too many delicious possibilities. Why did I join on a Monday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, enjoy your time here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Welcome! Glad you decided to get more involved - it's a whole host of fun laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.