Subject: BGG Ladies of Yucata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: online_gaming [+] yucata [+] [View All]
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

What follows below the line is the inspiration for this thread and resulting player list and an overview of what Play by Turn sites are:

However if you want to skip the intro and just get to the list of Women playing on Yucata you will find it in the 3rd post down.

If you want your name added to that list, reply to this thread with your Yucata User Name.

---------------------------

A lot of discussion of games that are available on Yucata, a play by turn site, has been taking place on the Ladies what was the last 3 games you played thread. Which has gotten a few of us playing together, but rather than have the details of how to join in and who is willing to play buried in a long thread, I think it is time for a new thread to facilitate and stream line the process for people who haven't already figured it all out.

So this is going to be similar to my other play by turn thread, Girls of MaBiWeb (and now other play by turn sites), but Yucata specific.

So let us start with what a Play by Turn site is:

A play by turn site, is not required to be live. So you can play with anybody on any schedule from anyplace in the world where they have internet access.

Even better news for those of us who like to really think out our moves but hate feeling "rushed" or like we are imposing on others by making them wait... in play by turn you can take 10 seconds or an hour to think out all your options. Nobody cares, they won't get "notified" to take a turn again until it is their turn.

That is the good news.

The less good news is that games can take days to months to complete depending on who you are playing with. Especially if you have a game with 4-5 players from all over the world.

However you can have a lot of games going at once.

Some of the games have some rule modification/implementations to minimize the impact of the long time frames. For example you can scroll though previous turns if you want on most play by turn sites and more importantly a lot of information that in "table top" play tests your "memory" usually becomes open information in play by turn implementations.

Where do I find these wonderful play by turn sites???

Well there at a LOT of them and maybe I will edit this post eventually to list all the ones I play and/or know about. But for this thread we are going to focus on:

http://www.yucata.de

Yucata has a lot of games of various weights, themes, luck factors, player number and play times. Everything from classics like Othello to some of the latest Euros.

Yucata is totally free, run by volunteers and the servers are maintained by "donations" just like BGG does.

They add about 6-8 new games a year, so there is always something new to play if you are freaking brilliant cool and have mastered all the old ones. (This is not me) laugh

Things that will be helpful to get you started:

1) It is easy to make an account and that is the first step.

Once you have created an account, IF you want to play specifically with some of the ladies from this forum, reply to this thread with your Yucata username and if you like a list of the games you are interested in (or NOT interested in whichever list is shorter.. whistle)

2) All the rules for all the games are on the site, including any on-line changes AND some optional variations for several of the more complex games.

3) It is easy to join a game if you are willing to play with total strangers. Go to "invitations" and there will be a list of all the games looking for players.

You will also see "personal" invitations show up at the top of the "invitations" section. And in the chat area. Click the check box to accept. Click the Check to decline. Just ignore it if you may want to play later, but don't want it to START NOW.

This is very important if you are playing a lot of games. Turns get taken in the order in which they hit your "que". So don't "accept" games that you are not ready to play.

If you reply to this post with your Yucata user name, expect to get some personal invitations. Don't feel like you have to accept all or even ANY of the games. This is supposed to be a way to help us connect to "play"; not a source of PRESSURE.

4)It isn't hard to create a game, though there will be "options" you might want to check out once you start the process.

You also can create a buddy list so you can easily find the people you want to play with routinely and see when they are on-line.

There is a way to look at people's player information to see what they have played in the past if you want to be sure you are not inviting people to games they don't know the rules to, you can check it out first.

However... Some game creation pointers, you can invite MORE people than the "Number" you pick for players needed. This can be a good idea since if you only invite 4 and only 3 accept the invitation to your 4 player game it is in limbo and never starts. However if you have X specific people you want to play with then you should only invite them AND be sure you picked that many players when you did the game set up.

When I create games for "groups" like this will be eventually, I often over invite and the first X players who accept are the ones who get to play.

Then as I build friendship and/or specific games are challenging with specific players I may then do some more specific invitations to narrower groups for a specific game.

5) There are two types of game modes on Yucata, training games and scored/ranking games. Of course all the games have a "score" but training games don't count toward the "Meta-game" ranking system. You can read about it on the site and decide if you care about the rankings. I enjoy it, but don't really care enough to spend a lot of time trying to "work it". I play to play the games themselves. So I don't care if my games are ranking games or training games most of the time.

---

So this should get anybody interested started. I might edit or add things later as I think of them.

EXTRAS:
Check out some Geeklists about the Yucata site. This is certainly not all of them here on the Geek, but a few to start you off if you want to read more before plunging in. There is even a Geeklist to "request" what games might be implemented next.

Proposed yucata.de games

Games I learned on Yucata.de

Yucata.de Games by BGG Rank

WTF is Yucata.de?!

Things I Learned by Getting Thrashed on Yucata

The Yucata.de Invite / Buddy List

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
This space (reply post) is where updates and edits have been and will posted that were not included in the initial long rambling introductory post. So check it on occasion to see if anything new has come up.

Also the next reply post with the list of players gets updated every month or so as well. So it also is worth checking back on.

First thing I forgot to mention. You get notified by e-mail when it is your turn. YOU CAN turn this feature off. Which if you play a lot of games silumtaniously is a good thing or your email box gets flooded daily.

However you then need to remember to check on the status of your games periodically. I check daily if I have time to play. If I don't I can go a week or so before checking in.

But since I have more than 20 games going at any time I don't forget to check in manually. I am an addict.

*** New 10-30-2012 ***

We have a shiny new microbadge available.

mb

Thank You Jonna!!

Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For new women building their buddy lists... Welcome!!

There is a ladies only list Below and we play a lot of games together.

Additionally there is also a Guild that is open to all BGG members you can reach by clicking here. Lords and Ladies of Yucata de BGG

Current Ladies* Playing on Yucata who are interested in playing games with other BGG Ladies of Yucata are:

Mamadallama
callie7
coolusername
jazgonz
Kattvippa
KCrane
KittyPaws9
Lakasha
lilacdog
lorna
meej
Meerkat
pyr-shep
scdoster
she2
Sica
Sandysidamo
Suzan
geekgirl123
Aenea
Signy
caitlinface
bellynice
Plum
gamestitcher
Joose
Hara
Aleema
heythatsmyjam
soniaandree
amwiles
Liallan
DrSchaffner
serenemercury
jessicac
agentnan
Juleske See note below
Maevre
elizi
Narl
Jude
GamerVP
SaraCV
VikingPrincess
Fran_Kubelik
Sakuko
Semijawa
LNXlady
Lorrilou
Ms.Shug
loganbreath
ipreferwalking
aniaga
fides
HuggableHamster
Cecily_Parsley
deebotte
chrysalis_star
1_Family_Meeple
usnbfs
Raynbow
WicklessKaren
BilboAtBagEnd
Szpon
meepsnpeeps
lolas
shell42970
smlait
leeece
mom4rmhell
rpoulos
Thymnophis
NotPrunes
iheartmuseums
auramine
EHStudios
Kathleen321
weregrrl
zofia
Norat13
xia0dingdang
LynnCh
piranhapig
stellar82
wizardinwhite
sillyokio
mellyagain
agent99
marble911
ReenieG
partangel
gonetogames
EuroGamerGirl
ELAP
jstearns78
neuromanced

--- recently added players --- 1/15/18

LilRedHead

---------- Removed Players ------ as of 4/05/13

shine - Jood (Shine on Yucata) passed away much to all our loss. You can see her memorial thread here.

Memories Of Jood (1966 - 2013)

Juleske is on a "real life calls" hiatus for the foreseeable future. She will be added back if/when she is ready to play again.

* "If you are ONLY inviting people from this BGG Ladies of Yucata list, please be certain to label those invites with "BGG Ladies only" in the descriptor section.

Games labeled in any other manner or without any description at all could include anyone on the person's buddy list, and you should be aware of this when you accept those games."

------------
Some other Play By Turn Sites are:

www.mabiweb.com has: several including

In the Shadow of the Emperor
In the Year of the Dragon
Kreta

www.michaelschacht.net has:

Hansa
Web of Power
Patrician

www.boardgaming-online.com has:

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

www.spielbyweb.com has: Lots of things including

Wallenstein which is Shogun in its English release

www.ludagora.net

------

I will add more later:
Players and sites via the edit feature as needed so check back here on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Yucata player name is Meerkat.

I am willing to play any game I have already played except "Vikings". I didn't get the rules down and it has been too long.

Here is a link to make finding out what games I have played there fairly easy.

http://www.yucata.de/en/User/Meerkat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coolusername (no space) on Yucata.

I am on Yucata far more often than is good for me. shake I am always learning new-to-me games there, but there are some I've played that I outright hate *cough* balloon cup *cough*. The games I've played are here.

If you see a game in my list that you want to learn, or if you're intimidated by the ranking system, I'm happy to play teaching/non-ranking games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happy to play most of the games there, really enjoy some of the 2 player abstracts, same user name, if anyone is interested let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, Lynette! Thanks!

Mamadallama is my user name on Yucata.

I am just now playing my first game there--Finca. I haven't yet checked out what other games are available but I will get a list on here soon since I definitely want to play games I'm familiar with first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
she2

Willing to play Oregon, The Speicherstadt, Egizia, St. Petersburg, Stone Age. Others just ask first since I don't know a bunch of games on there or haven't played them in ages.

Be warned I'm slow to take my turn sometimes. I'm sure Meerkat would agree. (TTAs, not Yucata)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love yucata. If you like to win, I'm a good person to play, apparently blushlaugh My username on there is also meej.

My favorites are Stone Age, Torres, Thunderstone (this one I occasionally win), Yspahan, Carcassonne H&G, Thurn & Taxis, Oregon, War of the Roses, Shanghaien and Can't Stop.

I don't really care if my games are ranked or not. There's also quite a few newer games I'd love to work through a learning game of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am Sica on yucata - enjoy mostly shorter games (I think I'm actually too impatient for drawn out games ), like Thunderstone, Roll through the Ages, Maori (which I am truly rubbish at)and Hey thats my fish (yes, really).

If anyone is arranging games though, feel free to drop me an invite, and I will join if I can (clever system to over-invite Lyn, as you say, those available can join if they wish, and the game doesn't get stuck in Limbo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fantastic idea to start this new thread, Lynette! I was starting to wonder & worry, with my last post, that the quote (multiple quotes really) was going to fill the whole page modest.

Thanks for helping to bring the women of the Geek together! I still marvel that people from around the world can have conversations about this hobby in almost real-time. Too bad we can't game face to face around a table as easily as we can hop on the computer - though with the rate technology is progressing, I'm sure that day is coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested in starting a game of Pompeii, let me know. Anywhere from 2-4P would be great. I'm callie7 on Yucata (fresh off the registration press there last night!).

Though I'm interested in learning many (many) of those games on the Yucata list, I've only played three of them with tangible game boards (not sure how to specify computer vs non-computer): Finca, Pompeii & Hey, That's My Fish. A gamer my whole life, but only discovered these awesome designer games last year.

Should we put invitations out on this thread? Through geek mail? Only through Yucata? How do others hope to use this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I registered on Yucata last night as sandy_sidamo. I would love to play a game with any of you ladies. I know a few of the games but would be willing to try anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I was the turkey all along!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea, thanks for getting this together!

My name on Yucata is KittyPaws9.

I haven't played all the games on there yet, but I'd be willing to try anything.

Games I've familiar with: Balloon Cup, Can't Stop, Carcassonne H&G, Dragonheart, Fearsome Floors, Finca, Hey, That's My Fish, Kahuna, Stone Age, Talley Ho!, Thunderstone and Thurn and Taxis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so great, thanks Lynette for starting this thread

My username in Yucata is Kattvippa.

So far I've only played Thunderstone, Carcassonne H & G, Thurn und Taxis (with or without Power and Glory expansion), Stone Age and couple of times Roll Through the Ages. I'm willing to try any game, just ask if there's a game you'd like to play and please leave me some time to read through the rules first laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow thanks lynette..whata wonderful idea and you answered all the questions i had in the night - i shall go look and see if i can get signed up today
aw life got good today!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. A new thread seemed like a good idea to me. Glad you all agree.

I sent out some mass invites to all who have replied so far.

Remember no pressure, it is fine to click the decline box or just ignore the invite for now.

When the game is full the invite will disappear and it will automatically start.

I tried to get at least one game from the choices each person said they liked into the mix. These were all created for maxim players this time around. Which is 4-5, and as the creator of the invite I am automatically in each of these games taking one of the slots. I didn't start any I don't personally know how to play for the same reason.

So again no Pressure to join them all. I invited everybody on this list so far to each of them. If the first 4 people join all of them, than those same 4 people will be playing all the games. Instead of an introductory mix up.

Just pick a few you really want to try for now. If the invite for some others are still there in a few days, you can join them later.

Feel free to create your own games now that we are going. To add to the mix available.

Let's Play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play some time although I am unfamiliar with the majority of the games on the Yucata site. I am registered as scdoster there, the same as I am here on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phew registered as shine
there are a lot of games i dont know that id like to learn so for now i can do
luna
carc h & g
finca
santiago de cuba
hey thats my fish
maori
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
I registered now with the username pyr-shep.

I would be interested in playing: Egizia, Finca, Hacienda, Oregon, Pompeii, Saint Petersburg, Santiago de Cuba, Stone Age, The Speicherstadt, Thurn & Taxis, Two by two, Vikings and Yspahan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on yucata and my username there is also jazgonz.

Look forward to some games with my comadres (fellow gamer chicks)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I was confused but Lynette helped me out. My username is SandySidamo on Yucata. Hope to see you all on Yucata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone up for Torres? A classic!Good with 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandysidamo wrote:
OK, I was confused but Lynette helped me out. My username is SandySidamo on Yucata. Hope to see you all on Yucata.

I actually managed to find you without the correction. Thought I'd just try my luck without the _ and found you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
sandysidamo wrote:

I actually managed to find you without the correction. Thought I'd just try my luck without the _ and found you

Jonna, I'm reading the rules to Thunderstone tonight so I can be ready to play a game of this soon. Well, I'm reading the rules in between 2 games of Brass and a game of Roll Through the Ages, not to mention the occasional post on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [80] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.