Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Zapf
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see it in the rule book, forums, tutorial or errata. I was wondering what the order of actions would be when, in a 4 player game two people are on the Rail Barron or Builder action spaces, or really any space with multiple players placed. Would the first person who placed a die/dice there take the action first, or the person higher up on turn order?

The game I was playing two people wanted to build on the same hex, and one person needed to build rails to get there. So the player 1 rolled a 5 and 6, then placed the 5 on Rail Barron, player 2 with next in turn order placed on Builder, and came back around with player 1 placing on Builder. Who builds on that spot?

I think we did turn order per the track that game. However, after talking it over I feel like since the actions are limited, brown actions, the player that gets to go first, but placed second, would get an unfair advantage. I say this because in other than 3 player games the spot would not be available to player 1 any longer because player 2 beat player 1 to the action. And, if these are truly limited it would seem if you get there first you are entitled to take the action first.

I do see though that if player 1 used a die to get to first player they would kind of be entitled to go first any time a decision of who should go first.

We flipped a coin for it and started placing the dice on the little 4+ players icon so first placement gets the action first.

BTW player 2 would have won if they would have placed first.

Don, if you have a rule for this could you please post this, and maybe the rational?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
As per page 6 of the rulebook I believe you resolve just as is done with collection on unlimited action spaces:

Unlimited – These actions are gray and have a distinct dashed outline inside the box. Any number of players may place die/dice in these locations. During the Collection Phase, multiple players would resolve the action space in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joelzapf wrote:
I didn't see it in the rule book, forums, tutorial or errata. I was wondering what the order of actions would be when, in a 4 player game two people are on the Rail Barron or Builder action spaces, or really any space with multiple players placed. Would the first person who placed a die/dice there take the action first, or the person higher up on turn order?

The game I was playing two people wanted to build on the same hex, and one person needed to build rails to get there. So the player 1 rolled a 5 and 6, then placed the 5 on Rail Barron, player 2 with next in turn order placed on Builder, and came back around with player 1 placing on Builder. Who builds on that spot?

I think we did turn order per the track that game. However, after talking it over I feel like since the actions are limited, brown actions, the player that gets to go first, but placed second, would get an unfair advantage. I say this because in other than 3 player games the spot would not be available to player 1 any longer because player 2 beat player 1 to the action. And, if these are truly limited it would seem if you get there first you are entitled to take the action first.

I do see though that if player 1 used a die to get to first player they would kind of be entitled to go first any time a decision of who should go first.

We flipped a coin for it and started placing the dice on the little 4+ players icon so first placement gets the action first.

BTW player 2 would have won if they would have placed first.

Don, if you have a rule for this could you please post this, and maybe the rational?

Hi Joel,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This has come up a few times in play testing but it did not get documented in the rule book under the "Gold 2x Icon" definition for Rail Baron and Builder. I will add this to the Errata. Officially, the action would be resolved in Turn Order similar to the description of "Unlimited" actions on page 6.

I understand what you mean about a player lower in turn order taking the action first but then being forced to collect the action second as being slightly unfair though. Normally, this would not be an issue unless the exact situation you described were to happen. Thematically, I would explain it this way though. Turn Order in my mind represents the overall leverage or clout a player has with the various providers of the action spaces. A player in 2nd turn order position may place their dice on say the Builder action first but the player in 1st turn order will still be served before the other player. I see it as the Builder finishing the job for the player in higher turn order first, even though the Builder was "hired" per say by the player in 2nd turn order first.

On a side note, all of the actions have fairly unique thematic ideas behind them but those ideas were not included as the rule book grew much larger than I expected. The book was only supposed to be 16 pages but another sheet was added.

P.S. I think your house rule of 1st person in placing on the gold icon is a good idea. I have tried my best not to include too many if/then conditions in the game. So officially, in the book it will stay with turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Zapf
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Don. I did see the rule for the unlimited actions, but wasn't sure if that rolled over to the limited, but I will put a sticky note in my rule book.

I will play it as designed unless someone I sit down to play with has a strong feeling they like place first=take action first.

Thanks again to both for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.