Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I'm expanding my board game collection and I have decided on a worker placement game. I'm somewhat new to this genre of board games and I have narrowed down my list to the three previously mentioned. That being said, I can not decide which to get.

I need help. I'm not too familiar yet with the genres of board games. I have learned from some quick research that this is a worker placement genre game. Some of the video reviews I have watched said that this adds nothing to this genre, but what if I don't have any games in this category?

This is where you come in. Please help me choose which of the three "worker placement" games that I have listed will give me the most life out of the price I pay. I don't want a game that looks great, but only gets played once a month. I have not played any of these games so far. I love complex games with lots of stuff going on, but don't hate simple games. Please state your reasons. I thank you in advance for any advise, comments, and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your experience I would rule out Caylus, as it is the most complicated of the bunch, unless you do not like dice, in which case you SHOULD get Caylus, as the other two games rely (more or less) on dice.

Having said that I would choose Stone Age as it is more of a "classic" worker placement game and you would like to get into that genre. To me personally, Alien Frontier does not really fit into the worker placement genre, although you place your ships (dice) on the board to get a certain benefit and I can understand why people call it a worker placement game, yet to me it does not have the worker placement feeling.

A game you might want to consider as well is Magnum Sal. Then again, Magnum Sal brings in new aspects to worker placement such as moving workers or not placing workers at all while still using a building, which makes the game a bit more complicated.

To sum up I thing Stone Age is the best bet you can get and it is also considered to be the most simple worker placement game by many BBGeeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is my pick, but among these 3 it depends on how you like your luck.

Caylus has no luck, and other than some variability in the setup is a perfect information game. It is the granddaddy of the worker placement genre and the term was coined to describe the Caylus mechanism (although there were other games that preceded it).

Stone Age adds some randomness in the resolution of worker placements (dice rolling) and the order of cards and huts (card drawing), but has mechanisms where you can mitigate most of the luck away. It also messes with the standard worker placement conventions in that many of the locations are not exclusive, and you can place more than one worker at time.

Alien Frontiers has even more luck as your dice placements are benefit from favorable rolls and there are only a few mitigation options. This game also suffers from some rather unfortunate AP issues as it is essentially impossible to plan at all as you roll the dice at the start of your turn. I do not consider this worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
DakotaDevil wrote:
Hi there! I'm expanding my board game collection and I have decided on a worker placement game. I'm somewhat new to this genre of board games and I have narrowed down my list to the three previously mentioned. That being said, I can not decide which to get.

I need help. I'm not too familiar yet with the genres of board games. I have learned from some quick research that this is a worker placement genre game. Some of the video reviews I have watched said that this adds nothing to this genre, but what if I don't have any games in this category?

This is where you come in. Please help me choose which of the three "worker placement" games that I have listed will give me the most life out of the price I pay. I don't want a game that looks great, but only gets played once a month. I have not played any of these games so far. I love complex games with lots of stuff going on, but don't hate simple games. Please state your reasons. I thank you in advance for any advise, comments, and suggestions.

Don't know Caylus, can't comment very much on it.

I favour AF very much over SA, but that's just a personal preference.

Although broadly similar, they do differ markedly:

In AF, you roll X dice, and place them to generate resources and take actions. In SA, you place meeples to select resources, and then roll that many dice to determine how many resources you gain.

AF is played until someone has all their colonies on the board (which need not involve the use of resources), and the scoring is low and tight (a point per score, max of a dozen points or so), and entirely visible at all times. SA is played until you run out of civilisation cards or (one stack of) huts (both of which are bought solely with your resources), and scoring is large and slack (a dozen or two points per score, and into the hundreds by the end) - and partly hidden (large chunks can be scored at the end of the game - not a majority of a score, but enough to steal the win).

AF largely revolves around the dice and their manipulation (plenty of ways to do it) and lots of direct player interaction. SA has much less dice manipulation, and while it has the same sort of play blocking available, this is less harsh than in AF - but when you do get blocked, AF seems to me to have more alternative viable options available.

AF also has a large area control aspect, which SA lacks, and ways to break the rules within the game, which SA also lacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme might also be a factor in your decision. Would your group enjoy sic-fi or medieval themes more? I've played all three and enjoy them all very much.

Complexity or game weight might also be a factor in your decision. I find Caylus to be the heaviest of the three, a fairly cut-throat, game play errors are not easily forgiven. Stone Age the lightest and most light hearted in theme. Alien Frontiers is the middle weight of the group.

Which ever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy, all excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
large chunks can be scored at the end of the game - not a majority of a score, but enough to steal the win

That killed Stone Age for many a newbie I taught the game to (even when they were forewarned that was a key aspect of the game -- collecting cards is just not fun compared to the other stuff you do in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age = fluff

Alien Frontiers = fun, but unpredictable

Caylus = serious, but dry gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Alien Frontiers, so I would highly recommend that. I love the dice and having all the options. Great theme, great bits, easy to learn. Love the dice!

I tried Stone Age and had to resist buying it. Stone Age is a great game also. Easy to teach as a gateway game, great theme.

I haven't tried Caylus so I have no opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Carson City to the list.

I can't resist a game of it ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say Stone Age.

Reasons:

1. Least expensive of the three.
2. Great into into worker placement.
3. Love the components.
4. You can't go wrong with a game that has a love shack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all 3 games, but Caylus is my favorite of the 3. All of them have some wrinkles on the worker placement mechanic.

Caylus, even though it was the "first" worker placement game, is rare among worker placement games in that it allows you to build additional buildings which then provide spots to place workers - giving more options and more abilities as the game goes on. I think it's an amazing game, but it's a very intensely cerebral game - lots of meaningful decision, lots of opportunites to plan ahead. Don't get it if you dislike games that make your brain hurt.

In Stone Age, you don't take turns placing 1 worker at a time and then go through and resolve the workers, as you do in many WP games. When you have an opportunity to place guys, you choose an area and place one or more guys in that area. Though certain areas only have space for one guy. Then in turn order, each player resolves all of their workers in any order. Rolling dice for resource generation adds some luck to the game, but I've never found it overly random. One thing about the game are clear inbalances in the strength of the spaces. Agriculture is better than Tools or extra Meeples, and it's obvious from the math of the game. In fact, the math of the game is pretty transparent and the worth of any space is pretty easily calculable. That's my main "problem" with the game, but I like it anyway. It also has the annoying "hidden trackable information", but that's not a dealbreaker for me. Stone Age is the simplest game of the three, but it's still not extremely simple - certainly more complex than, say, Settlers of Catan or Zooleretto.

Alien Frontiers uses the dice for "income randomness" (rather than outcome randomness in Stone Age). This makes it highly tactical. Also, instead of taking turns placing a worker or two at a time, in AF, each player places all of his or her ships and immediately resolves them on his turn. Unfortunately, that can make for a lot of downtime. The first few times you play, you'll want to encourage people that "it's a dice game, just go with it." If new players want to spend a lot of time calculating out each move, it's going to take forever. My philosophy is always to learn the game first, and then worry about making good moves. If you have players who suffer from analysis paralysis, don't play Alien Frontiers with them, you will hate it. There can also be some kingmaking in a 3p or 4p game of AF - if one player doesn't clearly play a lot better than everyone else, then the winner is usually the person who got messed with the least. Despite those flaws, Alien Frontiers has some really interesting mechanics and a lot of important decisions. The more I play it, the more it moves up my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Stone Age. Easy to teach, not much "take that" or kingmaking, good fun. Has expansion.

I think Caylus is the better game, but dry and harder to teach (and therefore get to the table).

Right now I like Alien Frontiers best as it is fresh, but like it 4-player using "team play" rules posted over on that page. Solves downtime and kingmaking criticisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen an easier recommendation thread for me--Alien Frontiers by a landslide.

Caylus is dry as a bone with a grim, dour Euro dude staring you down.

Stone Age has the worst implementation of randomness I've ever seen in a game. It's a Euro designer's funhouse mirror version of randomness. No wonder Euro fans hate dice so much if this is how they see them. And yet...they love this game. Strategy tip for Stone Age: roll sixes.

Alien Frontiers...I'm not sure how anyone could say there is "no mitigation for luck". You have a plethora of uses for your dice, no matter what you roll. Now, you may get priced out of something you wanted, or blocked from something nice, but there is always, always something worthwhile to do with your dice.

Also, the interaction goes beyond the usual "har har, I blocked you" stuff that is so silly in a lot of worker placement games. Here, you can use Raiders to steal, drive up the price of Ore, or use technology cards to move, displace, or destroy your opponents ships (read: dice) so they have to head back to the shipyard to get more.

Toss in some great area control with special powers for the regions, and you've got yourself a great, great game.

Caylus? I'll never own it. Stone Age? Traded it away as quickly as I could. Alien Frontiers? It's earned a permanent spot in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Alien Frontiers...I'm not sure how anyone could say there is "no mitigation for luck".

You put that in quotes. Are you quoting someone? Did someone actually say that, or are you just making that up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
According to your experience I would rule out Caylus, as it is the most complicated of the bunch, unless you do not like dice, in which case you SHOULD get Caylus, as the other two games rely (more or less) on dice.

Having said that I would choose Stone Age as it is more of a "classic" worker placement game and you would like to get into that genre. To me personally, Alien Frontier does not really fit into the worker placement genre, although you place your ships (dice) on the board to get a certain benefit and I can understand why people call it a worker placement game, yet to me it does not have the worker placement feeling.

A game you might want to consider as well is Magnum Sal. Then again, Magnum Sal brings in new aspects to worker placement such as moving workers or not placing workers at all while still using a building, which makes the game a bit more complicated.

To sum up I thing Stone Age is the best bet you can get and it is also considered to be the most simple worker placement game by many BBGeeks.
Thanks for the comment. I guess I forgot to mention that I am not afraid of more complex games, and actually prefer them. Some of my most recent board game purchases have been Agricola, Puerto Rico, WoW: The Boardgame (and all of its expansions), Mansions of Madness, and 7 Wonders.

I'm still learning the terms that people use to categorize these games into genres, so maybe I already own a worker placement game? Anyway, thanks again for the comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aronbc wrote:
Theme might also be a factor in your decision. Would your group enjoy sic-fi or medieval themes more? I've played all three and enjoy them all very much.

Complexity or game weight might also be a factor in your decision. I find Caylus to be the heaviest of the three, a fairly cut-throat, game play errors are not easily forgiven. Stone Age the lightest and most light hearted in theme. Alien Frontiers is the middle weight of the group.

Which ever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy, all excellent games.
Thanks for that clarification of "complexity" versus "game weight". I do like very heavy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
I would add Carson City to the list.

I can't resist a game of it ever.
I'm glad you mentioned Carson City. I have recently gained interest of this game as well. I guess the name caught my eye first, as I live near close to Carson City, NV. Then the more I read about it, the more I liked the idea. I don't have a western themed game in my collection, so maybe this would be another great option.

On another note, I'm supposed to be crossing games off my list, not adding to it! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I've never seen an easier recommendation thread for me--Alien Frontiers by a landslide.

Stone Age has the worst implementation of randomness I've ever seen in a game. It's a Euro designer's funhouse mirror version of randomness. No wonder Euro fans hate dice so much if this is how they see them. And yet...they love this game. Strategy tip for Stone Age: roll sixes.

Alien Frontiers...I'm not sure how anyone could say there is "no mitigation for luck". You have a plethora of uses for your dice, no matter what you roll. Now, you may get priced out of something you wanted, or blocked from something nice, but there is always, always something worthwhile to do with your dice.

Also, the interaction goes beyond the usual "har har, I blocked you" stuff that is so silly in a lot of worker placement games. Here, you can use Raiders to steal, drive up the price of Ore, or use technology cards to move, displace, or destroy your opponents ships (read: dice) so they have to head back to the shipyard to get more.

Toss in some great area control with special powers for the regions, and you've got yourself a great, great game.

Caylus? I'll never own it. Stone Age? Traded it away as quickly as I could. Alien Frontiers? It's earned a permanent spot in my collection.

You forgot to mention that AF has a horrible track record for king making. I personally have not played a single game in which the leader near the end wasn't attacked and slipped into second place. And if the leader isn't attacked then you end up with an anticlimactic ending because you already know who the winner is before it's over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

You forgot to mention that AF has a horrible track record for king making. I personally have not played a single game in which the leader near the end wasn't attacked and slipped into second place. And if the leader isn't attacked then you end up with an anticlimactic ending because you already know who the winner is before it's over.

Could you please explain what you mean by "king making"? I assume that is a reference to checkers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
travvller wrote:

Could you please explain what you mean by "king making"? I assume that is a reference to checkers?

Kingmaking means that players A and B both have a chance to win, and the decision on who wins is in the hands of player C. Usually the phrase means that it's intentional that player C purposely makes one of the other two win, based on who he likes more or some other metagame reason.

The strict definition doesn't really apply to Alien Frontiers, but what he means is that if A and B both play equally well, the one between them that got "picked on" the least will win. And that, IMHO, is a valid criticism of Alien Frontiers, but I don't believe that it ruins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
travvller wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

Basically he means that someone who is not in contention for the win can sometimes determine who will win. They can do something to weaken the leader so that the person in second will win, or help keep the leader in the lead by hurting the people that are chasing.

The main reason is there is no hidden/end game scoring. You adjust the score as you play thus as someone gains or loses points it is adjusted immediately.

This is the one thing that I consider a weakness in the game, though I have heard that the expansion is going to address this. But, I have not really looked into it.

With that said, I enjoy AF, I also like Stone Age and I own Caylus as well but I haven't played it yet. As for the previously mentioned Carson City, I don't own it but I have played it a few times and really do enjoy it so that one will be landing in my collection eventually.

I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
travvller wrote:

Kingmaking means that players A and B both have a chance to win, and the decision on who wins is in the hands of player C. Usually the phrase means that it's intentional that player C purposely makes one of the other two win, based on who he likes more or some other metagame reason.

The strict definition doesn't really apply to Alien Frontiers, but what he means is that if A and B both play equally well, the one between them that got "picked on" the least will win. And that, IMHO, is a valid criticism of Alien Frontiers, but I don't believe that it ruins the game.
Thanks for the explanation. I feel like a version of this "king making" happens quite often in the Settlers of Catan. Is that a correct comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
arkayn wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
travvller wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I feel like a version of this "king making" happens quite often in the Settlers of Catan. Is that a correct comparison?

That can happen in Settlers with people targeting with the robber, and doing trades to help someone to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Zalendar wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
arkayn wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
travvller wrote:

That can happen in Settlers with people targeting with the robber, and doing trades to help someone to win.

Right, and in both games it is the doing of the players, not the game. Any game with player interaction that can penalise (or reward) another player has this. Not a fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is the "best" game as far as mechanics by a landslide, but it is also the heaviest. The theme might be dry, but it is pulled off well.

Alien Frontiers is really slick, easy to teach, and fun to play. It is also a bit random, and has a "pick on the leader" element.

Stone age is the lightest of the three, and is both dry and random. It is pretty fun though.

Out of the three, Alien Frontiers and Stone age are the most similar and out of the two of them, Alien Frontiers takes the cake no questions asked.

On the other hand, Caylus is one of my all time favorite games, and is absolutely my favorite of the three. The strategy is FAR FAR FAR deeper than either of the other two, but for a new gamer it may be too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.