Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the Miniature Themed Math Trade (MTMT). If you have any comments about this math trade them add them here.

The request list for this trade can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8433042#8433042

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would an RPG miniature be worth posting? (A single Ral Partha Ratk Ubel undead mini, sealed in package) If I did post it, would it be my single non-miniature wargaming item, or would it count as a miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis don't need to be tied to a specific board game. I don't think the idea that it was made for an RPG matters. That does not prevent you from using it in a regular minis game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another cool idea for a math trade. I seek some clarification...

Do board games with minis count as a minis entry? So, for example, something like Tide of Iron or Dreadfleet?

I assume lots of various tabletop game peices are fine, right? For example, listing squads of warhammer 40k minis.

What about random parts or bits? Could I list an entry along the lines of "Bits Grab Bag - 1 plano box full of extra bits including parts from these games...."? Going off of that, what about tools or supplies (i.e. lot of 12 citadel paint tubs).

What about pieces to trick out your board games? For example, if I made polymer clay sheep, cattle, and pigs for Agricola, would a lot of those be a "minis" entry?

Thanks for helping me drill down into the grand philosophy of "What is a mini?"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
Would an RPG miniature be worth posting? (A single Ral Partha Ratk Ubel undead mini, sealed in package) If I did post it, would it be my single non-miniature wargaming item, or would it count as a miniature.

Single miniature figures or blisters are fine. They fall into the classification of miniature wargaming related items (rules, terrain, painting supplies, miniatures...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Do board games with minis count as a minis entry? So, for example, something like Tide of Iron or Dreadfleet?]

Yes, wargame themed board games with miniatures would allowed in this trade. Tide of Iron & Dreadfleet are fine examples of this.

sirgalin wrote:
I assume lots of various tabletop game peices are fine, right? For example, listing squads of warhammer 40k minis.

Yes, that is one of the expected items to be listed in this trade.

sirgalin wrote:
What about random parts or bits? Could I list an entry along the lines of "Bits Grab Bag - 1 plano box full of extra bits including parts from these games...."?

That would be fine

sirgalin wrote:
Going off of that, what about tools or supplies (i.e. lot of 12 citadel paint tubs).

Yep, tools and supplies are classed as miniature wargaming items for this trade. So paints or other related supplies would be fine.

sirgalin wrote:
What about pieces to trick out your board games? For example, if I made polymer clay sheep, cattle, and pigs for Agricola, would a lot of those be a "minis" entry?

Hmm . . . the answer here would be maybe. This math trade was conceived to focus on miniature wargaming related material. Agricola isn’t a wargame so that might be helpful in classification. However, see rule 1) of this trade that states:

1) There's no limit to the number of items you may submit
to the trade. For every multiple of 3 miniature wargaming items
posted (rules, terrain, painting supplies, miniatures...), you can
post one non-Miniature wargaming item (boardgame, book, DVD,
paypal...)

Users without a miniature collection are welcome to participate by
listing one item that does not conform with the general miniature
theme.

The Agricola polymer livestock would be classed as a non-miniature wargaming item, which are allowed in this trade based on the guidelines above.

sirgalin wrote:
Thanks for helping me drill down into the grand philosophy of "What is a mini?"!

No problem, looking forward to your listings . . . especially those sheep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the philosophy on miniatures not belonging to wargames? Things like D&D miniatures or Heroclix? They're definitely miniatures, but not usually the 'put them together yourself' kind, which I get the feeling is more where you're driving this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcticLancer wrote:
What would be the philosophy on miniatures not belonging to wargames? Things like D&D miniatures or Heroclix? They're definitely miniatures, but not usually the 'put them together yourself' kind, which I get the feeling is more where you're driving this.

I would class a miniature as a "miniature wargaming item" if it is combat / conflict related. Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcticLancer wrote:

I think HeroClix and the D&D miniatures rules can both be considered wargames. And they can both be used for other wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. T'was a curiosity. I seem to have a number of odds and ends, but don't know what I'd quite want to trade for ... We'll just have to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for some input on what would be a good "size block" for getting rid of large numbers of matching items?

As an example I have collected a large number of models for a Warhammer Fantasy Skaven army - around 275 models. I want to trade these out for something of similar size or several smaller sets.

I think it would help to have an idea of what a good size is for blocking up items like this. If I put all of this into one item listing then the chances of me finding a suitable trade for it is small. On the other hand if I list it as 15 smaller items (say each listing one unit or squad of 20-30 models) then someone else posts a large set I want as one item, I can't make that trade happen within the system.

So before I put these things up, any thoughts on how to handle this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Looking for some input on what would be a good "size block" for getting rid of large numbers of matching items?

As an example I have collected a large number of models for a Warhammer Fantasy Skaven army - around 275 models. I want to trade these out for something of similar size or several smaller sets.

I think it would help to have an idea of what a good size is for blocking up items like this. If I put all of this into one item listing then the chances of me finding a suitable trade for it is small. On the other hand if I list it as 15 smaller items (say each listing one unit or squad of 20-30 models) then someone else posts a large set I want as one item, I can't make that trade happen within the system.

So before I put these things up, any thoughts on how to handle this?

That's a tough call, maybe split the difference. Listing a couple of individual units of 20 or 30 figures, and a couple of larger listings of multiple units? Have you tried other trading forums to move these like Bartertown or TMP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for bartertown. I've traded armies on 2 separate occassions there and traded smaller bundels dozens of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do both. Put them up as a big lot and separately. Then when the trade list is locked, look at the offerings and decide which you want to do and submit blank want lists for the other option. As a courtesy, you could announce your decision here in the discussion thread to save people time when making their wantlists, but even if you don't, this doesn't harm the trade at all.

Just be careful and don't submit non-blank want lists for 2 lots that share items, or you might find yourself obligated to ship the same thing to two people.

(this is just an opinion based on the way the software works. Its up to the trade moderator if he is willing to allow this, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron makes a good suggestion, but yes be careful with the want list submission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if people put the scale in the description for miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aronbc wrote:
This is the discussion thread for the Miniature Themed Math Trade (MTMT). If you have any comments about this math trade them add them here.

The request list for this trade can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8433042#8433042

Do you mind a re-sync of the OLWLG?
thx,
-David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops sorry been a busy weekend. I'll take care if that right now and once a day until the list closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bakker
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry all for the mass listing removal on pages 5 and 6. I had listed all my Descent minis individually (15), but a few folks requested I group them - so I separated them into 2 listings by what expansion they go with (Sea of Blood or Road to Legend).

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Users without a miniature collection are welcome to participate by listing one item that does not conform with the general miniature theme.

Quote:
Non game-related items, including money offers, are welcome provided an appropriate +altname+ Description -altname- tag is used. Please specify how monetary transactions will be made (e.g. check, Paypal, etc).

I don't have much in the way of miniatures, but I'm hoping to get in on this math trade. Can I post a PS3 video game under the first quoted option and Geek Gold under the second one for two entries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rathje wrote:
Quote:
Users without a miniature collection are welcome to participate by listing one item that does not conform with the general miniature theme.

Quote:
Non game-related items, including money offers, are welcome provided an appropriate +altname+ Description -altname- tag is used. Please specify how monetary transactions will be made (e.g. check, Paypal, etc).

I don't have much in the way of miniatures, but I'm hoping to get in on this math trade. Can I post a PS3 video game under the first quoted option and Geek Gold under the second one for two entries?

That would be just fine. Glad to have you aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the list going to be open all of Wednesday (2/15) or is it closing tonight? I've been dragging my heels trying to figure out what to put in... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list closes at 8:00 PM PST on 2/15. Plenty of time to add some items if you would like too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I think I added my items through the wrong method; it's been a long time since I've done a math trade.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not so sure. It's been almost two years since my last math trade, so I'm not too familiar with that process anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rathje wrote:
Sorry, I think I added my items through the wrong method; it's been a long time since I've done a math trade.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not so sure. It's been almost two years since my last math trade, so I'm not too familiar with that process anymore.

Looks like you did it right. Items don't automatically show up in the OLWLG; the moderator periodically syncs that list with the GeekList. Your stuff should be there in the next update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.