Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently caught the end of "The Last of the Mohicans" the other day and was wondering about games centering on the French-Indian war. Then, just by chance, I ran across Martin Wallace's "A Few Acres of Snow" about an hour ago. It looks great, but it's already difficult to find, though it was just released last Spring.

Is there some algorithm or sales info by which I can determine if the game will be reprinted?

I'm in the same boat with Le Havre. It's not easy to find. Considering its place in the BGG rankings, I assume a reprinting is forthcoming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is "no". There is no magic means to know when you should be hunting an old copy rather than waiting for a reprint. Even an announced reprint won't necessarily come about for years and years (if it isn't suddenly cancelled)

Similarly, highly ranked games can easily languish out of print for years. The question in the mind of the published is whether it's worth reprinting the game and hoping that enough people don't have a copy yet, vs printing a new game that no-one has.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Treefrog games have been reprinted by them. However, since Mayfair has a deal with Treefrog for both Snow and Discworld, those games might get a reprint if Mayfair pays for it. Just speculating here.

I also find it interesting that Treefrog is out of Snow but still has pre-Mayfair titles (London and Gettysburg) available.

Did they print the same 1500 games and give Mayfair 750 or did they print more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair have been distributing Treefrog copies as well as reprinting some titles (Automobile) outright. Only one of those has anything to do with Mayfair.

Treefrog with Age of Industry moved from a print-1500-once-maybe-licence model to a model where they will try to do smallish (few thousand) copy print runs to meet demand of their own titles. I believe that London and AoI have been reprinted (by Treefrog)

This may well mean that aFAoS comes back into print, but they might be seeing how the rules issues work out before committing. The current free shipping Treefrog sale is probably about them trying to sell during a soft patch when they have no new games.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's helpful info. Do you know of a forum or geek list covering reprint news? Or is that something that neeeds doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Thanks, that's helpful info. Do you know of a forum or geek list covering reprint news? Or is that something that neeeds doing?

Follow the boardgamenews blog here and going cardboard.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best ways to determine if a game is going to reprinted is to go to the particular BGG page for the game you are interested in. Use the search function to get there. Then check the forums section on the game page. That will usually yield some clues as to if or when a reprint is coming.

But as was said... just because a reprint has been announced or even a release date means little.

The wait can be years and many companies are notorious for missing the release dates by more then a few months.

A good example of this is Battlelore. For years this was on the reprint roster of Fantasy Flight Games. Then they finally decided it was too expensive to reprint, repurposed some French sets, and then shelved it in favor of Battles of Westeros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually ask a vendor or check their website.

CLSGames is a great source for me. I find Dr. Solow usually gets games early and always seems to know when games are hitting the states or being reprinted. (plus, he seems to have better prices than everyone...although, no free shipping quota.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Martin has already said A Few Acres of Snow will be reprinted in Germany. It will be available in April and in other locales sometime after that.

Check out Wallace's post in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/754248/anyone-know-if-a-repr...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another, somewhat deeper game covering the same conflict is Wilderness War. It's currently in print and available at the online sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I sometimes do is to look for users that have it for trade, and ask them via geekmail if any of my for trade items interest them. I also usually ask whether they would be willing to sell if nothing interests them. I've gotten 3 OOP games this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
jazgonz wrote:
What I sometimes do is to look for users that have it for trade, and ask them via geekmail if any of my for trade items interest them. I also usually ask whether they would be willing to sell if nothing interests them. I've gotten 3 OOP games this way.

Absolutely. Cold calling (well, GMing) for-trade users asking whether they'd be willing to sell has netted me some finds that weren't accessible any other way (no copies in the marketplace, none on eBay).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.