Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more a publishing than a design question, but the fields are overlapping. While the publisher usually has the final word on the setting and especially on the title, good suggestions from the designer don't hurt.

This year Kosmos and Rüdiger Dorn have come up with a truly clever game name: Waka Waka. While the game has nothing to do with music or football, I'm sure it profits greatly from the 2010 Soccer World Championship song. And I'm furthermore pretty sure that Kosmos doesn't have to pay any fees to the holders of the song rights.

Now my question: how can you find out whether a particular name can be used for a particular game without third party licensing. Where are the borders of fair use? I suppose if Waka Waka had been game like Mammut Mambo, they'd have had to find out who holds the rights in the song and contact them. Or is this case special, because the chorus is based on an elder song - Zangalewa - which in turn might be based on a traditional song?

The Myth-Busting thread in part covers this topic (trademark, brand name, name mark designation), but the discussion is interwoven with copyright and patent issues. The subject here is explicitly "Name rights". Any good, free databases (like DPMA, but more extensive)? Likewise, databases to find out who holds certain IP rights (e.g. whom to contact if you want to make a game on the Beatles). This is not for a 100% check, just to get a 99% gut feeling. As said, for me, the publisher has the final word (and their legal department the work to remove the final 1% uncertainty).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that the noise that Pacman used to make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or Fozzie the Bear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or when the stormtroopers were defeated by the Ewokkas. ninja

The recent Shibumi contest saw many a game with bemusing variations on the required "sp" start in the name. Sadly mine was mundane. Sphinx. heh-heh.

Coming up with names for games, and owrse yet, names for places, people and things in the game can be either a desighers heaven, or hell.

Personally I love comeing up with names for stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.