Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: Any official word on expansions yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if there has been anything stated yet re: expansions. I know we are all kind of assuming Romulan and/or Borg fleets are on the way (or Cardassians), but, has anything more concrete been heard or rumored yet?

Although, does anyone REALLY want more Cardassians? Aren't we all a little sick of them these days?



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last word from designers was this cryptic bit:


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8187399#8187399
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At BGG.con the rep there mentioned off-handedly that an expansion was in the works to include the Romulans and allow three-player but that wasn't exactly an official announcement or anything.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greek2me wrote:
At BGG.con the rep there mentioned off-handedly that an expansion was in the works to include the Romulans and allow three-player but that wasn't exactly an official announcement or anything.


I can't wait!

"Friends, Romulans, Countrymen, lend me your pointed ears!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring on the expansion, along with the painted HC Tactics ships as I just finished my conversion project of changing them out. Woot!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have never bought something from a blind box before, but I would love to have fully painted Star Ships. It does not make sense to spend so much money on an unlikely shot at getting something. Do they offer the whole set somewhere that I can purchase?

If they don't... why not. It doesn't make logical sense. Wouldn't it be less offensive to customers to be given the option to purchase a complete set? This is all very confusing to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we could see some pictures. I just started. 15 ships so far (only one duplicate). I may wait and see if I can buy the last few as singles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrpanicy wrote:
I have never bought something from a blind box before, but I would love to have fully painted Star Ships. It does not make sense to spend so much money on an unlikely shot at getting something. Do they offer the whole set somewhere that I can purchase?

If they don't... why not. It doesn't make logical sense. Wouldn't it be less offensive to customers to be given the option to purchase a complete set? This is all very confusing to me.

Well, given a month's worth of complaints about quality on these forums, I don't see why they would attempt an ambitious project like that. They need to sell through the existing stock first, and see if there's enough demand for a "deluxe" version.

Personally, I'd rather paint my existing ships than buy pre-paints and switch the bases. But then, I'd rather play with unpainted figures that do either...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
forget expansion. i just want a reprint with better quality components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
forget expansion. i just want a reprint with better quality components.


Once and for all for the component - naggers:
Most of you are perfectly fine when you buy a usual Euro and actually all you get is some cardstock, some wooden cubes and cards, sometimes,...
Or take a GMT-Game for instance: a map, some counters a map and some cards. Still they provide FUN. And that's what games are about, or not?

I personally like the components of Fleet Captains a lot and in my opnion if a game provides so many BIG, detailed miniatures, of course some can break,... I had one broken ship in my copy (may be the intercontinental shipping?) all it took me to repair it was 5 minutes and some superglue, and I am ver unskilled when it comes to fine motoric tasks.

So about the actual theme of this post!

EXPANSION PLEASE! Bring it on WIZKIDZ! I can't wait :-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
abe18 wrote:
forget expansion. i just want a reprint with better quality components.


Once and for all for the component - naggers:
Most of you are perfectly fine when you buy a usual Euro and actually all you get is some cardstock, some wooden cubes and cards, sometimes,...
Or take a GMT-Game for instance: a map, some counters a map and some cards. Still they provide FUN. And that's what games are about, or not?

I personally like the components of Fleet Captains a lot and in my opnion if a game provides so many BIG, detailed miniatures, of course some can break,... I had one broken ship in my copy (may be the intercontinental shipping?) all it took me to repair it was 5 minutes and some superglue, and I am ver unskilled when it comes to fine motoric tasks.

So about the actual theme of this post!

EXPANSION PLEASE! Bring it on WIZKIDZ! I can't wait :-)


its not the ships that bug me the most, its the cheap cards. but the worst - are the tiles, which are showing wear after 2 games and i am extremely careful with my games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
McGill wrote:
abe18 wrote:
forget expansion. i just want a reprint with better quality components.


Once and for all for the component - naggers:
Most of you are perfectly fine when you buy a usual Euro and actually all you get is some cardstock, some wooden cubes and cards, sometimes,...
Or take a GMT-Game for instance: a map, some counters a map and some cards. Still they provide FUN. And that's what games are about, or not?

I personally like the components of Fleet Captains a lot and in my opnion if a game provides so many BIG, detailed miniatures, of course some can break,... I had one broken ship in my copy (may be the intercontinental shipping?) all it took me to repair it was 5 minutes and some superglue, and I am ver unskilled when it comes to fine motoric tasks.

So about the actual theme of this post!

EXPANSION PLEASE! Bring it on WIZKIDZ! I can't wait :-)


its not the ships that bug me the most, its the cheap cards. but the worst - are the tiles, which are showing wear after 2 games and i am extremely careful with my games.


I don't know, I personally like the linen-finish cards, may be because here in Europe I am not used to them and they feel great, altough I sleeved the Cards after my 5th game or so, just becuase some decks get played more often than others.
With the tiles I have no problems at all, I prefer them over Cardboard-tiles, because they are more easy to shuffle, didn't sleeve or laminate them, too much work I guess :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
abe18 wrote:
forget expansion. i just want a reprint with better quality components.


Once and for all for the component - naggers:
Most of you are perfectly fine when you buy a usual Euro and actually all you get is some cardstock, some wooden cubes and cards, sometimes,...
Or take a GMT-Game for instance: a map, some counters a map and some cards. Still they provide FUN. And that's what games are about, or not?

I personally like the components of Fleet Captains a lot and in my opnion if a game provides so many BIG, detailed miniatures, of course some can break,... I had one broken ship in my copy (may be the intercontinental shipping?) all it took me to repair it was 5 minutes and some superglue, and I am ver unskilled when it comes to fine motoric tasks.


Nope, that depends on the type of game it is. A Euro game that uses cardboard counters for 'corn' is one thing. If a Euro game came out with cardboard to represent STAR TREK spaceships, that would be entirely different.

And GMT games are a complete rip-off because of this. I'll never buy another one of their games because of the cheap quality of their components.

So, no games are NOT just about fun. They are also PRODUCTS that good, hard-earned money is spent on.

They should DEFINTELY be judged on that basis as well.

Memoir '44 is a fun game. But it's much MORE fun because of the quality of the components (for example).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
And GMT games are a complete rip-off because of this. I'll never buy another one of their games because of the cheap quality of their components.

You cannot be serious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:


Memoir '44 is a fun game. But it's much MORE fun because of the quality of the components (for example).


Memoir 44? Come on,... every 10 Dollar pack of Airfix Armymen provides more, better and more accurate Minis that this game! Especially the "Eastern Front" Expansion was a joke, comotents wise and thematically,...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
Memoir 44? Come on,... every 10 Dollar pack of Airfix Armymen provides more, better and more accurate Minis that this game! Especially the "Eastern Front" Expansion was a joke, comotents wise and thematically,...


That's exactly my point - you can't just ignore the quality of the components. Some will like them, some wont and for some it won't matter.

But to say 'The components don't matter as long as the game is fun...' is absurd.

For the record, I took one look at the ships in Fleet Captains (which admittedly had a lot of broken pieces and bent cards) and returned it to the store.

I never got to find out if the game was fun - for $100 bucks, I didn't want to own a game with componenents that crappy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your mistake,... YOU missed something,.. may be you can play it on a convention or a friends copy, I am sure if you do you will go to your store and want your copy back, assuning you wanted to have the game initially because you allready bought it , sort of :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
Your mistake,... YOU missed something,.. may be you can play it on a convention or a friends copy, I am sure if you do you will go to your store and want your copy back, assuning you wanted to have the game initially because you allready bought it , sort of :-)


Meh. Maybe, but I dont know anyone else who bought it either. The copy I returned is still at the store!

(There was a game at the recent convention which I managed to watch a little of, but not enough to judge).

But that's okay, because I took that money and spent it on the Expeditions game and the Hero Clix tactics game and will be playing them both.

And I know other people who have bought them as well.

So, gee, maybe a missed a great game, but they certainly missed at least one potentional customer.

And deservedly so.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouuuuuch! In my opinion Expeditions is not as near as good as Fleet Captiains, but ok I am not a big Knizia fan,...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
Ouuuuuch! In my opinion Expeditions is not as near as good as Fleet Captiains, but ok I am not a big Knizia fan,...


Wow. Yeah... I was a fan of Expeditions the first 2 or 3 times I played it... then the theme flaked off and it just became another Knizia math problem. I am a huge Trek fan, and I traded it away and never regretted it. I mean, to each his own, but, IMHO he got rid of the wrong game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
Ouuuuuch! In my opinion Expeditions is not as near as good as Fleet Captiains, but ok I am not a big Knizia fan,...


Maybe not, but the components were worth my money and Fleet Captain's werent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.