BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that are easy to play while eating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KENDRA wadsworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We tend to play a lot of games while we eat lunch or supper. My husband, myself and our almost 10 year old are the main ones who play, but our 4 and 3 year old like to "play on a team".

Our go to games for the past couple of months have been:
Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Monopoly Deal

If we have time after dinner we play
Pictureka
Labrinyth (dual or regular version)
Scattegories Cattegories
Headbands
Quirkle
Blokus

On my wish list I have (not sure if any are playable while eating..but the last two caught my eye while browing on here..and the first was recommended by a friend)
Doodle Dice
Dominion
Flashpoint Rescue

Husband really enjoys Forbidden Islans, Labrinyth and Lost Cities and gets burned out by the other games quickly--so anything similar to those would be great. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mommykendra wrote:
On my wish list I have (not sure if any are playable while eating..but the last two caught my eye while browing on here..and the first was recommended by a friend)
Doodle Dice
Dominion
Flashpoint Rescue

I played Flashpoint Fire Rescue while eating lunch this very day. Solo, controlling 2 firefighters, Family version. Took about 30 minutes.

Dominion I think has too little downtime, you're fiddling with bits a LOT which leaves less time to eat your meal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Modern Art and For Sale at restaurants while eating or waiting for my food.

I prefer them since there's no central board or play area to hog the table space.

I just learned about Monopoly Deal Card Game and will be picking this up soon for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, i prefer to play other peoples games when eating..arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

I agree. No food shall come within 5 feet of my games. The great and powerful Oz has spoken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KENDRA wadsworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
casualgod wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that would be ideal...but with a 1, 3 and 4 year old, lunch and dinner time are really the only times they sit still long enough for us to play a game without a million interruptions. I have a game list that is "to buy when the kids are old enough to entertain themselves for an hour" (including Settlers of Catan and Ticket To Ride)"

Thanks for the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KENDRA wadsworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
mommykendra wrote:
Doodle Dice
Dominion
Flashpoint Rescue

I played Flashpoint Fire Rescue while eating lunch this very day. Solo, controlling 2 firefighters, Family version. Took about 30 minutes.

Dominion I think has too little downtime, you're fiddling with bits a LOT which leaves less time to eat your meal.

Thanks for the feedback! Might move dominion to the "buy when kids are older" list...or buy it and save it for the rare nights that we can play a game after all the kids are in bed and my husband isn't working.

Excited that Flashpoint Fire Rescue will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF you were thinking about Dominon, but it's not really made for playing while eating, then look at Ascension. Its a faster setup, faster game, and plays well at 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino only has dice and backalite tiles, so would be fine when eating. Any cards you sleeve should do fine around food.

Is there a geeklist for this? There should be! (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mommykendra wrote:

Doodle Dice
Dominion
Flashpoint Rescue

Doodle Dice is pretty good since it is just some dice and cards. The only potential issue is if you can't make a match between the dice and cards (which can happen late in the game) you keep turning over cards into the center of the table every turn so it could take up a little bit more room as you continue the game especially if there is food on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think anything in the 10 Days in... family would work pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto and Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age would work, I think.

I was going to suggest Monopoly Deal Card Game, but you are already playing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic Labyrinth is a great family game which may suit your purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are in a restaurant right now and we just finished a game of Star Fluxx. Other favorites are Cookie Fu, Cosmic Wimpout, Zombie Dice, Micropul, Martian Dice, to name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentago and Abalone are nice 2P abstracts with plastic pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo when the reprint comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't see dominion working very well at the dinner table. The spread you need for all the cards alone would eat up pretty much all the space on the table. Unless you want to eat with your plate perched on the edge or on your lap, it's a bit of a space hog.

For a light and very durable game, you might want to check out Army of Frogs. I'd recommend Hive, but that would leave one of the 3 primary players out since Hive is only 2 players. Another durable game that could survive a spilled drink is Qwirkle.

Dice games would be noisy but a felted dice tray would cut down on the noise. Maybe Zombie Dice or Martian Dice? People often derride them as lame filler games, but Zombie Dice gets some serious play around my house--my 6 year old loves it. If you're looking for a game that's more about creativity and less about competition (and very well suited for the 3 and 4 year old) check our Rory's Story Cubes.

What about a tile laying game? Most tile laying games have a rule that the edge of the table is the boundary of the map you're creating with the tiles... you could create a fake boundary with some painter's tape that was, say, a 8-12" in from the edge of the table. That way you could play games like Carcassonne in the center of the table while still having space to eat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
Hive is perfect. You can play it with rib sauce on your hands and just wash it with the dishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Pickomino (as a light game played on the side)
+1 Hive (if you want to strain your brain)
Edit: for 2 players only

Further I´d suggest Blokus and Ingenious.

And if you want your youngest to be involved, try Tempelschatz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus is an excellent suggestion - all plastic bits (i.e. easily wiped off if someone has messy hands).

Tiki Topple is simple enough and doesn't take up a ton of room - but has enough thought/strategy to keep your 10 year old interested (and probably simple enought that the two younger ones wouldn't need to play on a team if they didn't want).

Loot is also fun, simple and contained. (It's also inexpensive, so messy hands are no big deal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:

Tiki Topple is simple enough and doesn't take up a ton of room - but has enough thought/strategy to keep your 10 year old interested (and probably simple enought that the two younger ones wouldn't need to play on a team if they didn't want).

+1 for Tiki Topple. We really like this and find we play it as we are having either a late night snack or dessert after dinner. Great recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KENDRA wadsworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!!
We ended up getting
Tikki Topple
Coloretto
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Loot

Added a lot more to our wish list for a later time! Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding cards when eating seems like a bad idea for many reasons.

I'd recommend:
1) Hive
2) Chess

Both of which don't require holding anything...and you move only one piece each turn.

Perfect for 3. 2 to play the game and the 3rd to dish the ice cream! Also, the 3rd can make fun of the bad moves and to give unsolicited advice.

The pieces are easily washable....and the little ones can play with them like toys on the table.....at least until they get bored and go watch Sponge Bob.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KENDRA wadsworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We got the chance to play Tikki Topple yesterday and the 4 year old has been begging all day to play it again. I bought it just based on recommendations and was pleasantly surprised how great it was to play.

Definately easy enough for the 4 year old to play with some idea of what to do (and fun to see the 3 year old "play" just based on what color he likes at that minute) and then play DH strategically. Definately, so far the best game I found that can be played with various ages without really having to adjust the rules for the younger kids or help them. DS knows he just has to try to get his colors to the top.

Can't wait for the 9 year old to play it and rest of our games to arrive so we can play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Nobody mentioned Quarriors!? And you can even clean off the dice if they get messy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.