Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Level 4 for the third time in a row. On this last time, I ended up with 94!!! points after beating both pirates. Yay!

Please post your highest scores on Level 4 when you beat it. I will post again if I somehow magically beat 94.

This is on the honor system obviously. You are only cheating yourself if you lie, but any solo gamer knows this already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two victories on Level 4 (out of 6-7 plays), but they are with very high scores - 98 and 103 points!

My experience with this game is somewhat interesting - I have won the first 4 games I played - one at every level. At this point I thought that the game is solvable and very easy. And I still think this is true for the first 3 levels - you can find a strategy that will work every game except when you are exceptionally unlucky. But after my first win on the 4th Level I had a lot of defeats and now I think that the game is very challenging at this level. I usually die in the second run of the hazard deck, but if I pass this stage I win with high scores. So. yeah, as the designer says in the rulebook - the 4th Level is the real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hristo Filipov wrote:
I have two victories on Level 4 (out of 6-7 plays), but they are with very high scores - 98 and 103 points!

My experience with this game is somewhat interesting - I have won the first 4 games I played - one at every level. At this point I thought that the game is solvable and very easy. And I still think this is true for the first 3 levels - you can find a strategy that will work every game except when you are exceptionally unlucky. But after my first win on the 4th Level I had a lot of defeats and now I think that the game is very challenging at this level. I usually die in the second run of the hazard deck, but if I pass this stage I win with high scores. So. yeah, as the designer says in the rulebook - the 4th Level is the real game.

That seems to jive with my experience. I played well my first couple of games, and then I started to try and methodically win and ended up losing horribly. Since then I have been playing by gut and winning just about every time (unless horrifyingly unlucky in the early rounds). There are definite good abilities to get into your deck early, and certain things you should just ignore and wait until your deck is capable before tackling etc... Knowing exactly what's in your deck and what's in your discard pile is also key.

Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the biggest problem for me is that I really WANT to win a fight, because of the ability of the hazard card. Then I spend too many life trying to win the card, so that it doesn't matter anymore, if I win or lose the card: I lost too much life already...

But I really like the game, since it plays so fast and is set up so quickly. I still think about an alternative live counter for travelling - and some kind of card trays?
Maybe a peg system, like with Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age? I'va already drilled wooden components; maybe I could start that way:

Now, where to get nice, sturdy little pegs? Using one from RTTA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be hard to travel. In the game I won above, I had basically my entire deck out for both pirate fights. Took up tons of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My highest Level 4 scores were 91 and 98 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how you guys do it. I won pretty easily on the third try of level 1. But I've played level 2 about fifteen times now and get my butt kicked every time with significantly negative scores.

Maybe I have a different deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played level 1 and lost 2 times. Since then I've not lost yet.
I switched immediately to level 4 (haven't tried 2 and 3 yet) and that really is a challence.
It took me 4 games to win my first one. Since then I've still lost more than won. I've played 16 games at level 4 and have won only 6 (37,5%).

My stats:
6 wins:
- scores 63, 78, 84, 101, 104, 118 (my highscore, which incidently is only 1 point below my top score at level 1).
10 losses:
- 1x 1st ship
- 2x green phase
- 3x yellow phase
- 4x red phase

As I cleared level 4 with a couple of glorious victories (80+), Friedemann suggested a 5th level of difficulty, starting with 2 life less as in level 4. Level 5 is really tough.
I've played 3 times and I've been lucky to win once (70 points). To me, this level 5 is the ultimate level!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:

As I cleared level 4 with a couple of glorious victories (80+), Friedemann suggested a 5th level of difficulty, starting with 2 life less as in level 4. Level 5 is really tough.
I've played 3 times and I've been lucky to win once (70 points). To me, this level 5 is the ultimate level!

Nice! So you start with 16 life and with only 2 life in the "draw pool" then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My highest score in Level 4 was 99 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I played several times today and here are the results.

First I played 3-4 games on Level 4 - all defeats at different stages of the game.

Then I started to feel a little frustrated and dedided to come back to Level 3 and played 2 games, which I won with around 100 points.

Then I tried something new - Level 3.5 - with 19 starting life points and 2 in the draw pool. I won with 63 points and right now I feel this is the most enjoyable way to play, because I have more control, but it's still not certain that I will win. On the 4th Level I think that luck takes significant part for wictory, so it can be frustrating if you think that you are doing everything right and lose several times in a row.

Very addicting game! Be warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
robertopellizini wrote:

Nice! So you start with 16 life and with only 2 life in the "draw pool" then?

Yes.
It's very tough. Chances are enormous that you'll run out of life soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ever find the cajones to play Level 4, I'll check in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I don't know how you guys do it. I won pretty easily on the third try of level 1. But I've played level 2 about fifteen times now and get my butt kicked every time with significantly negative scores.

Maybe I have a different deck

I'm having a difficult time scoring high on Level 4. Out of six recent Level-4 games, I've won once with a score of 50.
What really dings me are those undefeated challenges. I'm averaging minus 15-21 points for my inability to take them out.

EDIT: just scored a victory with no aging cards, but with six undefeated challenge for a grand total of 69 points. Hm. 80 club seems so elusive.
~

In my 40+ games, I've yet to get to the white-haired Aging cards.
Is this normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:

In my 40+ games, I've yet to get to the white-haired Aging cards.
Is this normal?

It may be. I haven't played it 40 (wow!) times yet, but I've only hit a white aging card once... in about 20 (rough guess) plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was all excited about my best score yet: 76. And then I saw this post. Oh well, at least now I have something to shoot for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:
I played level 1 and lost 2 times.

I misread this as "I played this level once and lost 2 times" and thought "whoa, this guy plays even worse than me"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played level 4 yesterday (for the fourth or fifth time) and won with 106 points

Mainly due to having several +life cards and being lucky/smart enough to use them when I didn't immediately need to spend the life for cards. After scoring enough to defeat the second pirate, I was able to draw/exchange a few more cards, getting the +2 life and the last aging card into play. I finished with 12 life and all aging cards destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
140 points!!!

Don't ask me how I did it but at the end I had 19 Life token for 95 points... I must have been very lucky during red phase and pirate phase to get all carddraws needed with card abilities and could use all +life-cards to hoard lifetokens. In this game I used ab all aging cards.
The next highest victory has been 100 points (10 lifetokens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Club!
109 Points at Level 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it seems unbelievable but I just won level 4 with a whooping 154 points. I beat the 52 and 22 (use halfthe # of cards)pirate cards, had 19 of 20 life points, and only 4 undefeated fight cards left!

I must have gotten really lucky with card draw. I really try to play the probability factor but frankly I don't even consider myself as a very good player as this is the only the 3rd time I have won on level 4 out of 17 plays. I did once get 161 points on easy but my other two wins were 31 and 71 points (with lots of frustrating losses in yellow and even green in between).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiczek wrote:
I know it seems unbelievable but I just won level 4 with a whooping 154 points. I beat the 52 and 22 (use halfthe # of cards)pirate cards, had 19 of 20 life points, and only 4 undefeated fight cards left!

gratulation! 4 undefeated cards is great - I think 3 is the lowest possible - so you only lost one fight? That's amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
rmiczek wrote:

gratulation! 4 undefeated cards is great - I think 3 is the lowest possible - so you only lost one fight? That's amazing!

Hmmm...Maybe I screwed something up then. I'm pretty sure I conceeded at least 2 or maybe even three 3 fights early. I did choose to fight a single card at the end of both the yellow and red rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you're right. 3 lost fights is possible.

green: 30 cards - 15 fights. lose 2, win 13
yellow: 17 cards - 8+1 fight, lose 1, win 8
red: 9 cards - 4+1 fight, lose 0, win 5
rest: 4 cards

still a very good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Nabeta
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
155 points on level 4... and I probably wasted at least 10 life +1 or 2 abilities in the red/pirate fights because I didn't have any more life points to gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.