Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carles Ryhr
Spain
Barcelona
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suppose a stack of 4 units moving into a space with 2 enemy units. Attacker rolls 4 dice and makes 2 hits; defender rolls 3 dice and makes 3 hits. Attacker remains with 1 unit, and defender loses all. Who is then declared the winner?

Common sense says that the attacker, that is the solely occupant of the space with 1 remaining unit. But the rules say that the winner is the side that obtains more hits, in this case the defender.

I haven't been able to find in the Rulebook where is stated that if one side loses all of his units, the other side (if he has survivors) is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. My instinct tells me that the survivor is still the loser and therefore still has to retreat. But I'll let the experts chime in on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that step 8 of resolving a field battle is "Declare Winner" and step 9 is "Take Casualties," I believe the defender is the winner. I would model this in "real life" as a defending army that is so shattered it could no longer mount a defense against a second attack (ie no units left) but that nevertheless successfully repulsed the current attack before the enemy could press on (won the battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carles Ryhr
Spain
Barcelona
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going further, if there were a leader among the defenders, he would be captured. And the retrating attacker can move no longer in this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Comfect wrote:
Given that step 8 of resolving a field battle is "Declare Winner" and step 9 is "Take Casualties," I believe the defender is the winner. I would model this in "real life" as a defending army that is so shattered it could no longer mount a defense against a second attack (ie no units left) but that nevertheless successfully repulsed the current attack before the enemy could press on (won the battle).

Or even an attacking army that destroyed or drove away the defending forces but was so shattered and demoralized that it couldn't press on into enemy territory (what generally gets described in military history books as "a tactical victory but a strategic defeat" or a "pyrrhic victory").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.