Felix Lahaye
United States
West Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gentlemen,

I have only played a couple games yet.

I was wondering, when a card says something like "Place X Influence in REGION".

Can you place influence in a country that is already controlled by the opponent? And if so does it cost 2 per influence point until he loses control?

The way we have been playing allowed one to place influence wherever they wanted in that Region, without restrictions.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonis Georgountzos
Greece
Athens
Zografou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing influence in a country due to events has no penalty if the enemy superpower controls the country.

So, an event text reading "place 2 influence in Asia" means indeed place 2 influence. Control of countries is only considered when placing influence with Ops.

So, you played right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainHook wrote:
Gentlemen,

I have only played a couple games yet.

I was wondering, when a card says something like "Place X Influence in REGION".

Can you place influence in a country that is already controlled by the opponent? And if so does it cost 2 per influence point until he loses control?

The way we have been playing allowed one to place influence wherever they wanted in that Region, without restrictions.

Thanks

When the card event text specifies 'place influence in X country/region' you can ignore adjacency rules and '2 for 1' penalties. The 2 for 1 penalty only applies if you play the card for it's Operations value and choose to use it to place influence.

Be aware thought that some cards specify 'as if he played an Operations card', such as KAL007 for the US - in these (fairly few) cases, the 2 for 1 and adjacency rules do come into effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
Be aware thought that some cards specify 'as if he played an Operations card', such as KAL007 for the US - in these (fairly few) cases, the 2 for 1 and adjacency rules do come into effect.

I can think of six other cards that do this:

CIA Created
Olympic Games
Lone Gunman
ABM Treaty
Grain Sales
Glasnost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is one that should really, really be clarified in the rulebook, if it isn't already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
This is one that should really, really be clarified in the rulebook, if it isn't already

It's noted as an italicized exception in 6.1.1 on page 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You have been playing correctly. Events that place influence without reference to Ops can be a lot more powerful than they first appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.