Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the first tow game I played my opponent and I have been contemplating 'triangular' starting positions. This being a set up of the Galactic Center and our start worlds equidistant of another. Anyone given it a shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
catmando wrote:
From the first tow game I played my opponent and I have been contemplating 'triangular' starting positions. This being a set up of the Galactic Center and our start worlds equidistant of another. Anyone given it a shot?

That would throw off the ring I, II and III distributions relative to the galactic "center" then. I would just use 2/3 positions on the standard 3p setup, except turn the II WH links inward towards each other. I've made a graphic of this before:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this looks interesting because it allows you to have a direct path to engage the other player without having to battle through Sector 1.

You could also combine this with the Warp Spaces described here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/755962/warp-sector-variant-s...
in order to somewhat collapse the space on the other side of the GCDS (where the third player would normally start) although this is probably not hugely important in this type of setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha - man, this warp space stuff can be deceptive.

I just realised that if you have a close look at the balancd/symmetrical two player setup suggested by Antti in the above thread, then it is actually an identical layout to the triangular layout suggested above but with two warp space sheets placed on the far-side of the GC.

The warping of the space just makes it look completely different depending on whether you put the warp space tiles opposite one another or next to one another.

Psychologically however I think I like the apparently triangular layout even thought it actually makes no topological difference. :-)

[Edit: the orientation of the starting hexes is however slightly different which does have an effect - in the above layout the worm hole connections for Sector 2 are pointing towards each other rather than away. I think the above configuration is more likely to bring the players into conflict with one another more quickly than if they connections are pointed away from each other. ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.