Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first hopped on this site, it seemed boundless. I watched video reviews, read the written reviews, checked the Recommendation forums, and checked out both old and new games...

Fast forward a little over a year and I'm struggling to find something to catch my attention. Reviews have been watched, research has been done, and many many orders have been made. It feels like I've run out of things to do aside from actually playing the games. Lately, I've just been buying more games...and eventually my wallet will rebel.

After you've "been there, done that"...what continues to hold your interest online?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you live in Hawaii, I hope you're buying games that can be played outside year round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
When I first hopped on this site, it seemed boundless. I watched video reviews, read the written reviews, checked the Recommendation forums, and checked out both old and new games...

Fast forward a little over a year and I'm struggling to find something to catch my attention. Reviews have been watched, research has been done, and many many orders have been made. It feels like I've run out of things to do aside from actually playing the games. Lately, I've just been buying more games...and eventually my wallet will rebel.

After you've "been there, done that"...what continues to hold your interest online?

Break out some games, set them up and PLAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope...I'm partial to indoor board gaming. I usually save the outdoors for outdoor activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

I got caught by two forums:

Board Game Design

Do It Yourself

And one recurring geeklist:
Games for Geekgold February 2012 - Busen Memo on the Streets
and other Games for Geek Gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Stormtower. Design your own games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it ebbs and flows - the more consistently you visit, the more up-to-date you are and the less you find to do. Go away for a week or a month, and it seems like a lot to browse when you come back.

That said, I like a lot of the blog content, and any content that illustrates how another gamer sees a game I'm interested in. I find the various viewpoints very interesting. There are interesting threads started, occassionally interesting geeklists.

I think any hobbyist forum site peaks at some point, after which a lot of the content seems to get repetitive - you've seen the questions before, etc. This one is still going strong for me, but I've felt the way you describe about other sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing games is the real hobby this site is just a supplement. Don't get caught up making this site the hobby you could get fired from your job if you have internet access and they haven't blocked this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I worked on and uploaded some custom scenarios to Castle Ravenloft's page here at BGG. That was fun during a time when I was a bit burned out on the site. Over it now, but it was helpful then.

I personally don't have time to try and design something without sacrificing my actual gaming time. But, I enjoyed making custom stuff for a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Don't get caught up making this site the hobby you could get fired from your job if you have internet access and they haven't blocked this site.

Says who? *looks around at work, smirking*

But in all seriousness, don't get too wrapped up this site. Sure I sit here most days reading through the forums at work, but most of the time I'm digging through the depths of the site trying to find unusual games.

If you're finding no real use for the site at the moment there's nothing wrong with walking away from it until you need to look into what new games are about.

As mentioned previously though there's plenty going outside of just reviews. G4GG (Games for Geekgold) is certainly a great thing to partake in each month, there's always other competitions dotted about, I also try where I can to help in the Recommendations thread or General thread (like this post).

If the site isn't giving you what you are looking for right now, it's only yourself you are letting down by not giving it a break or looking elsewhere Go play some games, play them some more, then when you finally feel the twinge that what you have is not enough come back to this awesome community & hit up the Recomemendations thread saying "I've outplayed this, liked that, loved the other, didn't really enjoy this... what should I be looking at now?"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just like discussing games and seeing what people say about games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can contribute!

Ask not what more bgg can do for you, but what you can do for bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I picked up game photography. And I try to play games whenever possible despite a full schedule with family and job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play-By-Forum games!

You said you have nothing left to do but to play the games, and you want something to hold your interest online. Combine the two!

I spend a lot of my time on the geek in BSG PBF forums. I've seen a number of other games with active PBF forums, so just look around the forums of games you enjoy for one (or more) that offers PBF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.