United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait.
Soon John carter will be everywhere.

http://showbizcafe.com/en/news/disneys-john-carter-exclusive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there's a cream for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Or drink a large glass of warm salty water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to say I watched the trailer yesterday... and I wasn't impressed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:

For the first half of the first trailer, I thought it was prince of persia 2, They sure aren't going out of their way to promote it either. I think I've only seen two different trailers. I agree it looks dry.

I still can't wait.

It makes me happy pixar is doing it and it is their first live action film. I can only hope it doesn't suck. I am surprised there are no toys out yet. That show screams for toys. It has all the crazy creature pull of a star wars cantina, from 8 legged horses to detachable spider headed kaldanes and naked princesses.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/johncarter/

Yesterday I ran across an article saying pixar was making an avatar ripoff. A story about a human coming to save an alien planet from dying. I had to laugh, the books were written 100 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this too.
People have been trying to make this movie for almost a century.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2ZdSbyHhQ

John Carter probably holds the record for the film with the longest time in development hell (that is, studios try to put a film together and it collapses). Since 1931, many filmmakers--including "Looney Tunes" director Bob Clampett, famed stop motion animator Ray Harryhausen, Terminator producer Mario Kassar and Die Hard director John McTiernan, Desperado director Robert Rodriguez, and Iron Man director Jon Favreau--have taken a shot at developing a screen version of Edgar Rice Burroughs' character and his adventures on Mars. 81 years later, two-time Oscar winner Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall*E) makes his live-action debut with John Carter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're interested, Mystery Bob much more so.

Is anyone else turned off by CGI? I really notice and despise it and especially its prevalent use in most action films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to it. And I thot I was the only one, since even MyMutant has been saying "meh" But I read the books when I was a kid and was enthralled, so the seed was planted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
I'm really looking forward to it. And I thot I was the only one, since even MyMutant has been saying "meh" But I read the books when I was a kid and was enthralled, so the seed was planted.

I'm just glad it happened in my lifetime. I was 12 or so when I read them and have been a fan since. It could suck and I'd still see it. Like the one with pia zadora a few years back. Good grief that was a train wreck. But the tech just hasn't been here til now.
When I heard pixar was using it to test live action, I became the happiest boy ever. I will be in line the day it comes out.

I even made a sculpt years ago: http://www.findphil.com/files/personal%20projects1.html

C'mon now, where are my toys?!?!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:

The first trailer is far superior to the second, imo. The first looks marketed to adults, the second to kids. Feels like two different movies.

I loved them both, though...

First:

Second:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
We're interested, Mystery Bob much more so.

Is anyone else turned off by CGI? I really notice and despise it and especially its prevalent use in most action films.

Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This movie has been maligned constantly by the media for some reason. Perhaps mostly because Disney has, unfortunately, fumbled the marketing a little bit. However, it will likely be the best film of the year, despite not taking in as much domestically as it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
I, foh one, canna wait.

Started reading the comic book as a kid. Moved on to the print version. Total awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering who john carter was. It's a comic book thing. Thay makes sense as its my least knowledgable geek area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I was wondering who john carter was. It's a comic book thing. Thay makes sense as its my least knowledgable geek area

It's a series of novels written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The first came out 100 years ago in 1912. Burroughs provided the inspiration for countless other science fiction works that are now considered classics as well. The influence of Burroughs' work on film has been extraordinary as well. Star Wars and Avatar were directly inspired by the John Carter of Mars series, for example.

I believe there have been comic books along the way as well, but it's certainly not a comic book thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.