Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea.. so the entertainment lobbyists watched SOPA and PIPA expload in their face when major websites such as Wikipedia and Google protested the very existence of such a thing.

Well now it's Canada's turn, Bill C-11 is our SOPA, and the worst part about it is a) Being Canada, the world won't look at us as closely as it did the U.S., it won't notice a small little bill being passed in that country up north.

However this can have ramifications across the world. It can A) set a precident that other countries can use to push their similar bills, and b) it can affect other countries when content from Canada will be locked down to other users.

So I'm asking the chit-chatters out there the help make some noise and protest Bill C-11.

You can add your voice at Openmedia.ca

http://openmedia.ca/lockdown

Open Media is a great organisation that is pushing for proper regulations when it comes to the big telecommunication companies.

In Canada, the big boys are

Rogers communication (They own 50% of Canada, including our Prime Minister's sock drawer).
Bell Telecommunications (they own about 40% of Canada).. the rest is divide amongst the dogs to fight over.

Rogers and Bell tried to push through a pay per minute type billing system similar to cell phone usage, Open Media helped destroy any hope of that. Rogers and Bell have long denied that they throttle their internet signals (Which everyone knows they do). Recently Bell announced they will no longer do this, and Rogers soon followed suit.

Rogers also recently tried to claim that it's ability to lie in it's commercials violated it's freedom of speech... Not sure when Rogers stopped being a corporation of thousands, and became one person.

Anyways, the way Bell and Rogers has the government in it's back pocket and continues to step on Canada's general populace is pretty disturbing... Open Media is trying to fight for equal rights and a progressive strategy to internet usage.

Back in the 90's, Canada was a leader in Internet usage, we were among the highest users of cable internet access when everyone else was still on dial up. Our fee's were about half that of the U.S., that was then, and this is now, we're some where near the bottom. I think small asian countries have better set ups then we do.

At any rate, Canada stood by it's American friends when SOPA and PIPA were on the table, let's come together again to stop Bill C-11.

Thank you, I return you to your regularly scheduled Chit Chats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
RSP?

How did I know this was going to be the first post.

I considered that, but figured this would get more attention in Chitchat. Well, move it if it must be moved.. I just wanted to get people to know about what's going on. All to often other countries are forgotten about because the big boys of the internet are mainly situated in the U.S...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
RSP?

How did I know this was going to be the first post.

I considered that, but figured this would get more attention in Chitchat. Well, move it if it must be moved.. I just wanted to get people to know about what's going on. All to often other countries are forgotten about because the big boys of the internet are mainly situated in the U.S...

Not an excuse, this is political and so should have been put in RSP, BGG is not speapkers corner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to RSP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.