Popular Tags: [View All]
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reviewed this game a while back, but through my own mistakes the review isn't on the site anymore. Luckily I've had to play the game a few more times and run through the expansion as well.

Here are my thoughts. I'm not an experienced reviewer, so I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.

HISTORICAL PERIOD:

We Must Tell the Emperor covers WWII in the Pacific from the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor through the end of the War.

COMPONENTS:

This is a DTP game. From what I've read Victory Point Games publishes its games on demand. I own several of their titles, and the production values are pretty consistent - cardboard counters and paper maps. I've read some disparaging remarks about the components from VPG, but I've found the artwork and design to be great, and all the components are clearly marked. My game also came with some mini dice. I gave them to my son and went with my trusty Game Science d6's. I've also read complaints about the mini dice but I think if you don't have some spair d6's around you need to take up another hobby.

RULEBOOK:

To me this makes or breaks a game. I have seen too many high profile titles with misspellings, poor organization, and opaque rulebooks. WMTtE has an excellent rulebook that is easy to follow and makes the learning curve as close to flat as possible. The same can be said for the expansion.

MECHANICS:

This is a card driven solitair game in the States of Siege series. The cards determine what actions the game's AI takes, what options are available to the player, any events, and provide historical flavor. As with other games in the series, the player is tasked with defending his HQ - in this case the Japanese home islands - from encroaching enemy forces.

PLAYING IT:

The enemy approaches on various tracks and you have to push them back if you hope to last to the end of the game. This becomes progressively harder as your resources get tighter and the enemies (Nimitz, MacArthur, etc.) begin to move forward. At the start of the war it seems you can do no wrong, but over time the task gets harder. Resources are in short supply and while pushing your enemies back can be done, its incredibly hard to knock the Allies out of the war.

VERDICT:

This is one of my favorite games. It just oozes theme. I really feel like I am an unstoppable war machine after Pearl Harbor only to be faced with tougher odds as the game progresses. That is what I love about this game. Playing it gave me a real understanding for the limitations of the Japanese armed forces in WWII. As you play it becomes plain that while you might beat up the Allies there is no way your tiny island with limited resources can hold every inch of territory.

When I first played Admiral Nimitz was my greatest concern. The expansion introduces the Soviets to the late war part of the game and Stalin has now become the number one thorn in my side. You'd think he would be nicer after all the hard work I did saving Mother Russia in Soviet Dawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the (re)post and kind comments, Lang.

Most gratifying to hear that it captured the Japanese perspective for you. I admit this aspect of the war has always fascinated me, and I hoped to convey a strong sense of it in the design.

The Nimitz Front is quite dynamic - initially it jabs the player, then it delivers a hammer blow, and then it becomes a juggernaut.

The most frequent first comment regarding Nimitz that I hear from new players is how long its road (track) to Tokyo is. Then after the first play, its combat power and threat level is realized. How to manage Nimitz (e.g., the Solomons Campaign) is one of the major challenges in the game.

(banner courtesy of RBM)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a timeline when this will get the GMT Deluxe treatment like No Retreat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PMGeuze wrote:
Is there a timeline when this will get the GMT Deluxe treatment like No Retreat?

Be still my heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I am in the position where I am not going to order the VPG version on the hope that any/some/all of their games get the upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PMGeuze wrote:

I am not privy to the strategic partnership discussions, but there are no plans for a GMT "Deluxe" version of this VPG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PMGeuze wrote:
I know, I am in the position where I am not going to order the VPG version on the hope that any/some/all of their games get the upgrade.

There are never any guarantees that GMT will pick up a game and, if they do, how long it will take to get to publication. I will say that there are no plans to have WMTtE go to GMT anytime soon. It is way too strong a seller for VPG to cut off that revenue stream.

So far, 2 products have 'made the cut' with GMT and will definitely be published. No Retreat!, which is already out, and the Fading Glory quad. Circus Train isn't there yet, neither is Revolt and Revolution (although I expect that to get there in the next few months). From there, its a matter of "when do they fit into GMT's production schedule? I don't have that answer, probably the folks at GMT don't have it at this point, either.

So, to hang your hopes on GMT producing a game could end up being very frustrating.

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PMGeuze wrote:

I agree with Joshua. As a veteran of many campaigns and some glorious victories and many even more glorious defeats, the time to strike is now. Get the game and you won't regret it. If the Emperor wills it, you will be well prepared for a GMT edition. Besides, the joy of service to the Emperor is the greatest honor a Bushido warrior can accomplish in this life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

I know sooner or later I too will buckle under the pressure and buy a copy, along with Zulu, Zeds, Israeli, and so on... I just hate it when I order the original and the deluxe/reprint/upgraded, comes out a week later.

In all though, I have really enjoyed Nemo and Weehawken (sp?). Those two would be great as a folio collection -- when their first run goes dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.